Bed rack ideas for RTT, custom or other options?

DaveM

Explorer
I need to get my Maggiolina RTT on my new DC Tacoma before the summer camping season begins around here. I've drawn up a bed rack plan based on some of the ones I've seen around here (mostly Desterdude's). But $$ is tight right now and I'm afraid the bill fro this will be too high (I get a bid tomorrow). So assuming it's more than say $600 for this build, what bolt on options are there for this use? Are there any cheap low profile bed racks out there that could be used to support the RTT on a short bed Tacoma?

2330930973_d55ecd45f2_o.jpg

Tacomarack.jpg

Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
I think you'll have a hard time keeping the tab below $600 for the custom job. Mine was about $1200, which was a deal based on the hours that were put into it. Then if you want to powdercoat it... add another couple of hundered.

I have 2 suggestions:

The cheapest way to do it is simply fabbing up load bars to go across the bed and mounting to those. I did this for awhile with both my brother's EziAwn and my Maggiolina. It's a bit lame but will get you down the road. I simply bolted to the adjustable factory tiedowns. I don't have a good picture of how it bolted together. But here's how the overhang looked:

1175947865_608a240587_b.jpg

Another option that has been brought up several times is the Thule Xsporter.
$500 and lookes like it could work!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ELUYM

DaveM

Explorer
I'd have nearly 2 feet of overhang with that set up, blech. I guess I'd rather use the old ground tent for a while instead, but I feel like I'm wasting the money I spent on the RTT by letting it sit my friends garage.

The thule bars look interesting. I thought I had priced these before and they were more than that. I'll have to look again.

DaveM

Explorer
reconbyfire said:
how heavy are this roof mounted tents? the thule only has a load of @450ish.

The tent is only 130#. The Thule rack should be able to handle it no problem.

viatierra

Explorer
DaveM said:
I'd have nearly 2 feet of overhang with that set up, blech. I guess I'd rather use the old ground tent for a while instead, but I feel like I'm wasting the money I spent on the RTT by letting it sit my friends garage.

The thule bars look interesting. I thought I had priced these before and they were more than that. I'll have to look again.

I'm with you on all counts! I only did that setup one weekend. Then it was just because I was going crazy sleeping on the ground and leaving the Maggiolina in the garage.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
dave $$ wise your best bet would be to find a used lumber rack for a taco,,(craiglist?) prolly reg or extra cab and just cut it down and reweld to fit your bed length. you could cut off the sides for a flat rack and even cut off the portion over the cab, pretty much have whats in your diagram for cheap, maybe under $200

kai38

Explorer
I have a few pictures of how I mounted Yakima cross bars to the bed on the OEM tie downs.
12204ed92a7a6742822f48d8f149bf33.jpg

7d9ece5baf7a3c30c86a5db55a3741a3.jpg

The cross bars will spread out far enough to match the mounting holes in the roof top tent. Right now the tent is mounted on my M416 trailer but I need to tow a motorcycle & have a place to sleep for a up coming trip.:roost:
I was messing around with the roof rack mounted back there,I should have pictures of the tent mounted this weekend.

1adf3d060c36ca1a7950a921b268b521.jpg

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Dave,

It's a long shot, but contact Wil (flyingwil) about this. He made a rack that is almost exactly what you are looking for and was trying to sell it since he moved to a different solution.

It was a while ago that he was trying to sell it, but it's worth contacting him. At the least, he can give you some pointers on how he made it.

Pete

DenCo40

Adventurer
I have my old one I will give you. I had it on my old Tacoma. I modified it for the DC I have. I don't think it's worth shipping but just in case you are in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
How about buying 2 or 3 load bars + brackets and mounting it to your roof?

Craiglist is a great resource for Thule and Yakima parts.

DaveM

Explorer
Denvertaco said:
I have my old one I will give you. I had it on my old Tacoma. I modified it for the DC I have. I don't think it's worth shipping but just in case you are in the neighborhood.

Thanks for that offer man. Prolly won't be around there anytime soon though.

Thanks to everybody for all the help actually. I think I've settled on the Thule Xsporter for now. Its relatively cheap and I can get it shipped right to my door for free. Then maybe down the line I'll be able to do the "adventure rack" idea I was going for. OR I might find the Thule system is all I need and I can save a bunch of money for gas! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles