Bed Slide

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I am considering a Bed Slide for my 2017 F-250 should I pair it with a camper shell. They make them in 1000, 1500, and 2000 lb payload capacities, I am looking at the 1500 lb and 2000 lb models. Has anyone used this product? I see ARE makes one as well, not sure how they compare?! Would you recommend it to be used in a standalone fashion mounted to the bed, or in conjunction with a drawer system, mounted on top?

I can certainly see the benefits of a such a system, but I also question what I'll give up in regards to usability of my bed once it's installed.

Last edited:

kmcintyre

Observer
I was thinking about doing that too so that I could use the space under my camper but the cost was prohibitive. Then thought about having one made by a friend.... still kind of cost prohibitive and I only needed about 4" of space.

I was obviously going to use the drawer system for the storage.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
ARE makes one as well, I am not sure which of the two is the better product though or if there's possibly other makes I am not aware of to consider as well. I hear you on the cost, to get the Camper I want from Snugtop is $3600 OTD and then the bed slider is another $1450-1750 depending on the model, that's already north of $5K before the drawers. If I went the cheap route with a Decked setup I'm out another $1100 and the Truck Vault option is $3300. To round out the package I'd need a roof rack from FrontRunner or Rhino, that's another $1200. So a complete storage setup to include a camper shell, drawers, bed slide, and rack I'd be looking at $7350 on the low end all the way up to $9850 if I went with the Truck Vault drawers and 2000 lb bed slide. Those numbers are insane! To fathom that I could be $10K into my build before I touch the lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, winch, front locker, RTT, and everything else I need, is just astronomical. I'd likely be looking at $22K+ to completely build the truck out. Maybe a new Four Wheel Camper like the Hawk isn't too much after all?

rickc

Adventurer
My issue with drawers is that most people are likely to drive around fully loaded with all their gear even when just running the kids to school or picking up groceries. They also tend to promote a "bring everything and the kitchen sink attitude"; loads of stuff that's nice to have but not necessary, all extra weight, all the time. I only have one truck so it has to do everything. My thoughts are to go air-in-a-box, house battery-in-a-box and a portable fridge so that when not in use these systems are in my garage or transferable to other vehicles in need during emergencies and for the rest of my gear, just keep it simple and minimalist; recovery, first-aid, food and clothing. And a guitar!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My issue with drawers is that most people are likely to drive around fully loaded with all their gear even when just running the kids to school or picking up groceries. They also tend to promote a "bring everything and the kitchen sink attitude"; loads of stuff that's nice to have but not necessary, all extra weight, all the time. I only have one truck so it has to do everything. My thoughts are to go air-in-a-box, house battery-in-a-box and a portable fridge so that when not in use these systems are in my garage or transferable to other vehicles in need during emergencies and for the rest of my gear, just keep it simple and minimalist; recovery, first-aid, food and clothing. And a guitar!

So do you keep your bed open, no camper, no racks, removable or not?

rickc

Adventurer
Tex68W: apologies, I should have noted that I decided to go with a canopy for security, cleanliness and dryness. On the canopy I put a big Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform for my RTT/kayaks/whatever. One more consideration regarding drawers is that if you decide to put a fridge in the back, you really need one of those expensive drop slides to be able to access the thing. One "drawer" option I have considered is home-made rails and Rubbermaid, see-through, long storage containers. They can be stacked and easily removed once the trip is over. Your comments about the costs ramping up is truly valid. Good luck with your project.

41f05813d8c56a2acee96dce5202d130.jpg
65aaf23c2839ccb3ff034cab1c376007.jpg
2f13451822c43e3b85995d883cc7b4cb.jpg

I use a cargoglide under a diamondback truck cover...RTt on top. Yes it's a trailer but 1500xl 8' extension same as most pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader

So what you are saying is you haven't had any unplanned emergencies, natural disasters, breakdowns or trips, yet. What about jumper cables, flares, basic hand tools, flat repair / pump, tow strap etc?

/ Driving a 6000+ lb Suburban. Couple hundred pounds of accumulated roadside emergency and recovery gear - all stuff that's been needed at one time or another and wasn't then present and has been since - really doesn't matter.

auxbatt062%20current.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles