Belafonte Reboot....Ambulance to 4x4 Camper Conversion

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Outline of a couple of catcus and a set of tire tracks and you are good to go. I would do the photo shop thing but since I relate to your previous post about learning things the rig would be rusted away before I finished. :)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Outline of a couple of catcus and a set of tire tracks and you are good to go. I would do the photo shop thing but since I relate to your previous post about learning things the rig would be rusted away before I finished. :)

And that's saying something since a good chunk of it is aluminum! Alu mi num? Al U mini um? That silver metal. :)

FDM2012

Adventurer
Tom, it looks pretty damn good as it sits. A while back, you mentioned that if you keep it that you would be doing solar and awnings?
those types of things will add to it and change it up some.

Also, I will soon be experimenting with PlastiDip on the door handles and everything else that is chrome. I will grab a couple from
the same carcass that I got Pat's parts from, to experiment on.
Originally, I was going to do my rig a similar color as yours, but am now leaning towards a foliage/sage green. Eventually.....

Anyways, I think accenting might be the way to go at this point???

Somebody PLEASE help me design some kind of graphics for this thing. I am at a complete loss. Just thinking about it makes me go cross-eyed and start drooling.

9d3a8e31505b007847bd76515efb886e_zpsqq9bxkbr.jpg
[/IMG]

tgreening

Expedition Leader
View attachment 385568

Just a 2 min edit with gimp 2 , this evening (gmt+1) i'll play a little more ;)

2 min? It would take me 2 years to figure that out.

Great start though. That is the kind of ideas I need. I can't come up with the design, but once I see something I can usually figure out how to make it happen.

And when I said graphics it doesn't necessarily have to be scenery or picture based. Military stenciled theme, real or fictional might work. Movie theme of something like the Umbrella Corp, some fictional zombie eradication group. Who knows. Just something.....interesting and different.

But for 2 minutes that's freakin awesome!

Last edited:

MadBkr

Thank you ;) I play with graphics sometimes, just for fun .. I'd be very happy to contribute to your build someway :D Are you looking for a graphic for the full truck or just the box?

MadBkr

Ok, today i'll leave here these 3 tries...

classic digital camo, done

ambo_camo.jpg

And something that looks cool to me, but i don't know how i could call it :D

ambo_bio_d.jpg

ambo_bio_w.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Those are cool looking!

If you want it to look like an official vehicle of some organization, whether real or fictional, add a logo to the cab doors. :)

rlrenz

Explorer
I'm going to stick with white for my buggy - it helps the AC, plus it's a whole lot cheaper than changing colors. I am considering some graphics, though - like this one from the Grafix Shoppe (www.grafixshoppe.com).

close up.jpg

ambulance graphics.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'm not too awful worried about heat back here in Ohio. Maybe if i lived out in the southwest I'd be more concerned.

Wrap would have been the simplest thing, if I had left it the factory white surface, but the vinyl places around here are freakin nuts on price. They wanted $800 just to do this stripe.

07912CD4-74E3-47E9-BDAE-463DC83B3BC7_zps1fhh4idl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I thought that was freakin insane, especially for something they say you can only expect around 5-6 yrs out of. Plus to me part of the attraction was the ease of changing things around, but not at those kinds of prices. I can hardly imagine what a full wrap would cost.

I'm kind of digging this one, but maybe with a bit less of that background. It's just a little bit busy and that would be a whole lot of detail to try to paint in. Maybe just some of the white-ish parts?

attachment.php

rlrenz

Explorer
In a previous life, I worked for 3M, and their automotive division supplied many industries, ranging from railroad passenger cars to airplanes, with reflective striping and lettering - lettering could even be ordered with a paper paint mask on it so the lettering could be applied, the vehicle painted, then the mask removed. Doing it that way sealed the edges of the lettering so it wouldn't be affected by wind and weather.

Ambulances can be lettered with vinyl graphics films, or with Scotchlite reflective striping. The reflective striping can easily be a DIY project, but the reflective material is definitely not cheap.

Ambulance reflective striping is usually applied in 4-6" widths, and is often floated on by spraying a slightly soapy solution on, then squeegeeing the stripe into place with a plastic tool. Joints are mitered with a razor blade. After it has thoroughly dried, a layer of clear coat can be sprayed on it to protect it from the environment.

If it's properly applied (and you aren't parking it in Las Vegas in the sun), the life expectancy should be 10-15 years or longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior