Besides MaxTraxx, what traction boards/mats do you use?

psykokid

Explorer
One of the guys in our group last weekend had a set of Traction Jacks and broke one side in half on our recent snow wheeling trip. He was trying to get a little more traction going up a stream crossing where the water had undercut the snow and made a steep ledge to crawl up.

Another guy had a two pair of maxtrax which we had to put into use when he drifted out of the track going up hill and buried himself up to the frame.

IMG_20160220_161744021.jpg

When he drove over them one got grabbed and stuck vertically down in the snow. It was like the sword in the stone with everyone looking at it and giving it a tug and then declaring it stuck before the next guy gave it a shot and failed as well. Ended up digging it out to extricate it.

IMG_20160220_161949229.jpg

Personally, I have a set of waffle boards and they work good every time I've had to use them, once for bridging a low spot to keep the side of my truck out of the rock wall next to it and a second time in conjunction with an x-jack to free a rental jeep that had buried itself to the bottom of the sills in sand:
10339736_10152118147168027_701090225365779826_n.jpg

rb89

Old snow machine track and chunks of marston mat (spelling probably not right, the mat that they used to use to make run ways and such with). The marston mat is getting hard to find and pricey as it is aluminum, old snow machine track can be had for almost nothing

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Old snow machine track and chunks of marston mat (spelling probably not right, the mat that they used to use to make run ways and such with). The marston mat is getting hard to find and pricey as it is aluminum, old snow machine track can be had for almost nothing

If you're still looking, I just picked up 9 5-foot sections (for $20 each) and they have the full 10-foot sections for $35 each. Better hurry, they only have 30,000 left... :)

http://aviationwarehouse.net/novelties-for-sale.html (no affiliation)

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 7.45.02 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 7.44.38 PM.jpg

The 5-footers were cut, obviously, but the cuts are pretty straight and clean. $80 for four fit right into our budget.

Edit: These are the M8 (steel) version, not aluminum.

Last edited:
If you're still looking, I just picked up 9 5-foot sections (for $20 each) and they have the full 10-foot sections for $35 each. Better hurry, they only have 30,000 left... :)

http://aviationwarehouse.net/novelties-for-sale.html (no affiliation)

View attachment 355618
View attachment 355619

The 5-footers were cut, obviously, but the cuts are pretty straight and clean. $80 for four fit right into our budget.

Edit: These are the M8 (steel) version, not aluminum.

31 lbs each? :Wow1:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Rotopax had traction mats on display at SEMA this year. They are supposed to be launching them in 2020. I like Maxtrax, but I also really like the Rotopax mounting system for their fuel storage containers so I will be interested to see what they come up with.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I wanted to carry a set of less expensive boards in a truck that sees only occasional off road use, so I ordered a pair of X-Bulls from Amazon. Have not used them yet, but they seem to be OK for an emergency recovery of a lightly loaded full size pickup truck. Would not expect them to hold up well with something as heavy as my Power Wagon. They may be disposable, but if they work once, I get what I need.

MapJunkie

I have been using GoTreads for the past year or so. They have been working out super well so far! I have used them extensively at work recovering stuck vehicles on the beach. They get used about every other day and have held up surprisingly well. I have also used them on the trails of the Northeast and have been happy with them there too. You can get them for cheap at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/GoTreads-Emergency-Automotive-Traction-Tool/dp/B00LGXH5OY

You can also check out my reviews and others here

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/135372-Go-Treads
+1 for Gotreads. I like them because I can pack them away in a recovery box. I am not a fan of mounting recovery devices to the outside of my rig. They also double as a way to level the camper on uneven ground. Because they fold, they can have lots of different heights.

86scotty

Cynic
Get the cheapest thing available. They all get you those coveted overlandy points when mounted so carefully on your roof rack as to attract maximum views from fellow overlandy types. All cost the price of one tow if you are off the beaten path.

Yes, I'm poking fun and yes i have a set, never used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles