Best designed rugged Chuck Box?

ranchgx

So I'm looking for some inspiration for building an all purpose Chuck Box. I remember back in the scouts how useful these things were, but also remember them being a pain in the but to pack and unpack. I've done some searching around online but figured someone on here may know of alternative designs or even better material to build them out of.

summerprophet

Adventurer
Ummmm, you missed have not seen the search button on here. I think the thread is around 600 replies long? Everything you can think of is in there.

blackwood

Adventurer
I know a lot of people don't like REI but they have a nice diy one http://blog.rei.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Blog-Camp-Kitchen-Cut-Sheet.pdf

Blog-Camp-Kitchen-12-1500x1072.jpg
Wow, thats a nice looking box. I'm going to have to build that when I free up some time. I've been looking for a chuck box design too :chef:

dlh62c

Explorer
I know a lot of people don't like REI but they have a nice diy one http://blog.rei.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Blog-Camp-Kitchen-Cut-Sheet.pdf

That is a good looking box. Thanks for posting the plans.

Every time I think about building one, I keep thinking my Rubber Maid totes do the job. I've often left them out in the rain with a piece of firewood on top to keep the lids on. I've done my fair share of camping along-side a vehicle and I can tell you the weather isn't always perfect as others often portray in their camp pictures.

tarditi

Explorer
I recommend a Dosko Campmate - you may have to wait and pounce on one at ebay, but they're worth it.

I have tried the totes, action packer, built a patrol box, and finally settled on a Dosko and quit fussing.
Add a 2-burner stove (that fits!), nesting cookware, flatware, etc. and it's a great "packed and ready to go at a moment's notice" solution for us.

Someday I'll get around to a video walkthrough of my setup - it really works well for us.

Jabbalaugh

f46ecee36bd9b448c79caf4d6fa1ab66.jpg

3dea1b7eba05035445960b634bd4eab2.jpg

8a0185b1c56e475036d483698c1b2830.jpg

Here's mine so far. Built it as I went. Very heavy duty. Will last my lifetime most likely and then some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
Wow, thats a nice looking box (REI). I'm going to have to build that when I free up some time. I've been looking for a chuck box design too :chef:

Looks like 75% of a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet of plywood. Going to be heavy. Wood alone over 30 lbs.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Looks like 75% of a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet of plywood. Going to be heavy. Wood alone over 30 lbs.

You can go lighter w/ Aluminum. Here's my chuckbox built into a cheap truck tool box off Amazon, weighs about 15lbs empty.
xWKLB7sl.jpg

A few pieces of hardboard and some 1" angle stock make all the shelves. Since this picture was taken I've since bolted a modified Harbor Freight folding sawhorse to the bottom so it's free-standing. Have to see if I have a picture of that...

EDIT to note: Can't fit either of my stoves into this particular box because it isn't deep enough. This works OK for me since I rotate the stoves depending on meals and crowds...

austintaco

Explorer
When you choose your cookware, we found that our "old kitchen cookware" did not heat that efficiently on the coleman stove. We bought some nicer stuff at REI that has rings on the bottom to promote even heating. The difference is night and day. No more hot and cold spots in your pot or pan!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You can go lighter w/ Aluminum. Here's my chuckbox built into a cheap truck tool box off Amazon, weighs about 15lbs empty.
xWKLB7sl.jpg

A few pieces of hardboard and some 1" angle stock make all the shelves. Since this picture was taken I've since bolted a modified Harbor Freight folding sawhorse to the bottom so it's free-standing. Have to see if I have a picture of that...

EDIT to note: Can't fit either of my stoves into this particular box because it isn't deep enough. This works OK for me since I rotate the stoves depending on meals and crowds...

Nice setup. Would you have the link to the box you got from Amazon?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Nice setup. Would you have the link to the box you got from Amazon?

Here's the one I ordered (with my review which includes interior measurements), but it's now listed as "unavailable".

This one looks to be the same, although it's selling for a bit more than I paid.

This one is similarly priced to mine, but you'll pay shipping.

For all of these, I wish they were just a couple more inches deep, then I'd be able to fit a bigger frying pan and maybe my stove inside. Otherwise, I'm limited on the dimensions for the box I can use because it has to fit under my bed platform.

I would also like to see how you bolted the HF saw horses. Thanks

Apparently I never photographed my installation of the sawhorse. Will have to remember to do that.

Here's a weak photo of the box on the HF sawhorse.

I started with this Folding Adjustable Sawhorse. I got it for <$20 at HF, but I've seen them for around the same price at Home Depot and HF seems to be asking more this week. Shop around.

It's wider than my box, so I had to chop ~10" out of the middle (keeping most of the steel channel). I originally tried to use just the "ends" attached to the aluminum box, but the box is thin-walled and was oil-canning some, so I sacrificed a 2nd one to keep most of the channel. The aluminum box is barely wide enough to accommodate the length of the folded legs, so I had to offset the two sections of channel slightly so that the legs will fold up.

Fastening the steel channel to the aluminum box wasn't anything special - some low-head cap screws, washers, and nuts, IIRC. The nice thing about the adjustable sawhorse legs is that they're individually adjustable, which is nice for setting up in a less-than-level campsite.

Hope that helps. Will try to get a good photo of how the sawhorse is bolted on...

EDIT: Should also add that my particular box had an annoying lock design - you could only remove the key if it was "locked", which I didn't like, so I drilled out the lock cylinder and plugged it with a dowel.

(Sorry about all the links to images - I haven't uploaded these photos to my usual image host and can't do it from where I am currently due to firewall issues)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior