"Best" fridge slide for Dometic CF50/CFX50 fridge?

SBSYNCRO

It seems that most of the fridge slides I'm seeing are several inches wider than necessary to accommodate the 26" x 18" footprint of the CFX50. (this is including the now discontinued Dometic slide). The DFG Offroad unit looks like it might be nice, but they don't post the dimensions and its not clear to me whether it locks.

To me "best" means some combination of the following:
  1. Minimizes wasted space with the Dometic CFX50 (26" x 18" footprint)
  2. Locks closed without rattling
  3. Locks in the extended position
  4. Relatively light weight (no excessive plate steel or angle iron)
I'm tempted to build my own, but I already have a list of weekend projects waiting for me that is backlogged well into the summer... Plus when I add up the parts (using aluminum channel and 200lb locking slides) it comes out to over $300, so cost savings is not really a factor.

Contenders I've seen so far:

• Tortuga Offroad XL (too big,. but I like the second slide-out tray)
  • DFG Offroad (don't know dimensions)
  • Dometic slide (still available in a few places, but also a few inches more wide and long than necessary).

Yea, I know - I'm being a perfectionist. But I spent a lot of time on this...

SBSYNCRO

For posterity, I'll post what I've found so far. The ONLY fridge slide I have found that is the "Goldilocks" fit for the Dometic 50 is the DGF unit. The external dimensions are 28-1/4"L x 19-1/2"W x 2"H . Tray dimensions are 26-1/4" L x 18"W. In other words, it is a custom "no wasted space" fit. I'm ordering one today.

1Louder

Explorer
IronMan? Same as Indel slide and a few other brands that label the Indel fridges as their own.

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
It seems that most of the fridge slides I'm seeing are several inches wider than necessary to accommodate the 26" x 18" footprint of the CFX50. (this is including the now discontinued Dometic slide). The DFG Offroad unit looks like it might be nice, but they don't post the dimensions and its not clear to me whether it locks.

To me "best" means some combination of the following:
  1. Minimizes wasted space with the Dometic CFX50 (26" x 18" footprint)
  2. Locks closed without rattling
  3. Locks in the extended position
  4. Relatively light weight (no excessive plate steel or angle iron)
I'm tempted to build my own, but I already have a list of weekend projects waiting for me that is backlogged well into the summer... Plus when I add up the parts (using aluminum channel and 200lb locking slides) it comes out to over $300, so cost savings is not really a factor.

Contenders I've seen so far:

• Tortuga Offroad XL (too big,. but I like the second slide-out tray)
  • DFG Offroad (don't know dimensions)
  • Dometic slide (still available in a few places, but also a few inches more wide and long than necessary).

Yea, I know - I'm being a perfectionist. But I spent a lot of time on this...

Our revamped CFX3 slides might be an option given what you are looking for. Here is a list of improvements:

• Lighter but same strength
  • Included 3” more extension in same footprint
  • Moved mounting holes for easier installation
  • New release - a lot more reliable and removed slop when slide is latch
  • Dust cover to keep out sand and dirt
  • Backwards compatible with the CFX models

Given you have a CFX50 this slide is the one you'd need.

Follow this link for info and specs on all the new slides

We're hoping to have the slides up for pre-order soon with shipments beginning in March.

Hope this helps in your search!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

SBSYNCRO

IronMan? Same as Indel slide and a few other brands that label the Indel fridges as their own.

I looked at that one and contacted them, but it is too narrow for the Dometic units which are "wide body" as compared to the taller ARB and Engel units.

SBSYNCRO

Update: I went with the DFG Offroad unit. Based on everything I've seen it is the "best" unit for the criteria I outlined. It is very lightweight (all aluminum & stainless steel slides), uses a proprietary locking mechanism for closed and open positions (different) that work well but are not integrated into the slide, so there is no additional protrusion from the slide), and waste almost ZERO space with the Dometic CFX50. The only thing I have found to complain about is that the rear cross member sticks up just high enough to interfere with the AC cord (for pre-chilling before a trip), and just kisses the DC cord. I plan to clearance both after my current trip. I'm on Day 2 of a trip to Anza Borrego and so far I love this slide.

Stabwell

Update: I went with the DFG Offroad unit. Based on everything I've seen it is the "best" unit for the criteria I outlined. It is very lightweight (all aluminum & stainless steel slides), uses a proprietary locking mechanism for closed and open positions (different) that work well but are not integrated into the slide, so there is no additional protrusion from the slide), and waste almost ZERO space with the Dometic CFX50. The only thing I have found to complain about is that the rear cross member sticks up just high enough to interfere with the AC cord (for pre-chilling before a trip), and just kisses the DC cord. I plan to clearance both after my current trip. I'm on Day 2 of a trip to Anza Borrego and so far I love this slide.

Please post up your thoughts on the slide after your trip. Any complaints? I'm looking for a slide for my CFX50 as well. Thanks!

SBSYNCRO

Please post up your thoughts on the slide after your trip. Any complaints? I'm looking for a slide for my CFX50 as well. Thanks!

Last day of the trip (Tierra del Sol expo) and even doing some moderate “rock crawling” and lots of Jeep trails with the cooler packed full it worked beautifully. We had very windy/sandy conditions at times and I can definitely feel some grit in the slide now. Not sure if anyone offers a completely sealed bearing system so perhaps any slide would be susceptible to grit getting in there.

No rattling while off road in some pretty extreme rough washboard and waaaay off-camber Rick climbing.

I still rate this as a great option for a Jeep or other vehicle where you don’t want to waste any space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBSYNCRO

Here's a video of it in operation. Things are a bit of a mess, as I was unpacking from the trip. Sorry for the lousy video - I was holding the phone in one hand and fumbling around with the left hand trying to do it. ;-)

And a photo with everything out of the way:

ca9a3544ee02a11fbbb753aaffdd8fdd.jpg

Last edited:

strawman

Our revamped CFX3 slides might be an option given what you are looking for. Here is a list of improvements:

• Lighter but same strength
  • Included 3” more extension in same footprint
  • Moved mounting holes for easier installation
  • New release - a lot more reliable and removed slop when slide is latch
  • Dust cover to keep out sand and dirt
  • Backwards compatible with the CFX models

Given you have a CFX50 this slide is the one you'd need.

Follow this link for info and specs on all the new slides

We're hoping to have the slides up for pre-order soon with shipments beginning in March.

Hope this helps in your search!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

What is the price on the new slide?

Rock Toy

I actually just picked up a Dometic slide for my CF-50 and it’s pretty damn wide, but built like a tank. Think I’m gonna bust out the grinder with a cutting wheel and narrow it to fit the fridge. Then weld it back together.

SBSYNCRO

I’d be curious what advantage the new Dometic slide has over the DFG unit (if any). What I love about the DFG unit is that it is a custom fit for the Dometic CFX50 (no wasted space) and it’s aluminum frame makes it much lighter than the steel units I’ve compared it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94