Best full-size 4 season composite trailer?

HayStax

Please help bring me up to speed on current offerings of quality composite trailers. I‘m looking for something that is spacious but ideally lightweight. Doesn’t have to have the bling of a Bruder just not junk.

Ideally it would be light enough to pull with my Raptor, space for 4, handle miles Of washboard roads in summer and be warm enough to use as winter ski base camp

I wish OEV would build one - I‘ve followed them from the beginning and really like their work. Is there anything in the trailer world that comes close?

XPLORE X195 looks close but I have questions about actual build quality

Is there anything in the “overland” world that compares in price and quality to a good aluminum living quarters stock trailer? Because honestly, I’m underwhelmed by what I’ve seen. Thanks!

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

If you prefer a hardsided composite stand up I would suggest Kingdom Camping.

If you prefer a pop up hybrid with composite walls I would suggest Arkto Camper.

What part of the country will you be camping?

HayStax

It can be tall, no worries on storage height. Pop-up is fine, as long as it’s rated for snow and the heater works! Indoor cooking and dining are Mandatory. No need for indoor toilet or shower.

I live in Central Nevada, on the Pony Express Trail, basically in the middle of nowhere. It will be used on dirt roads here and highways to get to dirt roads everywhere West of the Rockies. Height and width are generally not a concern, weight and long term durability are most important to me.

Thanks!

billiebob

I'd definitely look at the Escape Trailers.

These are common in the Kootenays and used year round. For me durability and winter use screams no moving parts and slam shut doors.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Escapes are a great trailer and fairly priced. My thoughts in your case would be the solid axel and minimal ground clearance my not far well on all those lovely washboard dirt roads in Nevada

DFNDER

Curious what your concerns are about the new xplor's? They would seem ideal for your requirements assuming price isn't an issue. I don't think you can really fit 4 in the current Kingdom unless you're talking two little ones. Maybe their new bigger rig might have more room.

Treefarmer

We've been researching our next traiuler for fulltime living for the last three years and have looked at everything available. We made our decision and are currently building a true four season dual axle offroad trailer with Kingdom Camping. As we get further into it, we'll start posting more information about it. Fully loaded it will be less than $100k. It will be a little heavier than the X195, but will also be more rugged and spacious. Dry weight should be around 7,000lbs and GVWR 9,920lbs, so it's probably too big for a Raptor to pull, but easy for an F250/2500. We fulltime pretty much exclusively in ID, WY, MT, UT, AZ, NM, and NV, so it will perform in really hot and really cold weather.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Escapes (mentioned above) are pretty nice, but definitely not a full 4-season trailer. Their water systems are exposed to the elements, and even with the heated tanks, will freeze when temps drop far enough.

BigFoot (https://bigfootrv.com/), another option from British Columbia, are proper 4-season trailers and are likely to be the best-built option in North America.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I constructed my own. Pretty much an expedition truck body on a trailer chassis. All water and components inside.

Attachments

• Transit:trailer 01.jpg
    Transit:trailer 01.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Trailer27.jpg
    Trailer27.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Trailer22.jpg
    Trailer22.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Trailer24.jpg
    Trailer24.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Trailer26.jpg
    Trailer26.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Trailer21.jpg
    Trailer21.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 83

Treefarmer

Escapes (mentioned above) are pretty nice, but definitely not a full 4-season trailer. Their water systems are exposed to the elements, and even with the heated tanks, will freeze when temps drop far enough.

BigFoot (https://bigfootrv.com/), another option from British Columbia, are proper 4-season trailers and are likely to be the best-built option in North America.
Bigfoot is a good example of a well made trailer. I don't know if Bigfoot does all of this, but you need three key elements to be truly four season capable:
Heating pads on the tanks and insulation on the plumbing lines.
A "skid pad" that fully covers the bottom of the frame AND is insulated ( I prefer aluminum with a layer of insulation on one side).
Heating vents into all areas under the cabin floor and within the frame that contain tanks and plumbing.

Treefarmer

Good point. Four season capability and off road capability are not the same thing. I've often wondered why well built fiberglass trailers like Bigfoot and Oliver don't put more capable independent suspensions on their trailers. It's probably because the aluminum frames aren't designed for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94