Best full size gas mpg truck

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
If you want full size, definitely look into an older F150 with I6 4.9L engine. I drove a 91' with an 8 ft bed for years and I regularly got over 20MPG when not loaded. About 18 with light loads (under 200 lbs.) and 12-15 with heavy loads (200-750 lbs). As a bonus, the I6 is the toughest engine out there. Very reliable and parts are cheap for it. Throw a camper shell on the back, slap some utility signage on there paint (FBI Surveillance Van) and you'll be good to go. Make sure you black out the windows on the shell though. Maybe throw on a ladder rack for the shell, with a ladder and some 4 in PVC pipe to make it more believable. (Contractors like to make storage containers out of 6 inch PVC pipe for things like smaller pipes and tubing.) You could replace the side windows with contractor "doors" made of Plexiglas and paint.

Anyways, an 8 ft. bed would give you plenty of room in the back for sleeping and storing gear, not to mention keeping your surfboard out of sight.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, my build may be a bit weird to all of you.
I am looking at a service box. Gutting the entire insides of the box and making all the doors fake and putting a set of rear doors on and being able to slide thru rear window into camper area. Then adding a angled roof like Knapheide sells. ( they have some examples on their website).
Looking at making it all with 18 gauge steel and probably some fiberglass for aerodynamics, etc... All my interior will be very light weight stuff if I can do it...
My surf trips are done in stealth and camp on streets after dark so I want to look (blend in) like a contractor or plumber with a service truck.. My van is not so stealth at all!!!
I know, very odd idea, but for most of us, building it is half the fun..

I dunno, some neighborhoods frown upon contractor vehicles being parked there overnight, might actually attract attention...probably better to save yourself the trouble, and buy a plain ol' high-rise topper and black out the windows.

images

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I dunno, some neighborhoods frown upon contractor vehicles being parked there overnight, might actually attract attention...probably better to save yourself the trouble, and buy a plain ol' high-rise topper and black out the windows.

images
You just have to put the right signage and markings on it. He wants to park on or near the beach and not be disturbed, as well as parking lots. I'm from the Midwest so I don't know what kinds of utility or work trucks might be found on a beach.
"Shark Net Repair Service"
"Sewage Cleanup Crews"
"Coastal Salvage INC."
"Aquatic Sea Life Research"
"Surf Serveyer Specailist" (You may even get away with mounting a surfboard on the rack with that one.)

The list goes on. Make sure that the lettering isn't perfect, as in scratched and faded if possible.

Malibusurfer

Luckily most beach communities are pretty laid back. I have never had a problem in my van and it screams out of place :)
Just looking for better mpg's and more room with my truck idea.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Next time you're down here shoot me a PM and we can surf. I usually surf Beacons or Boneyards in Enc.

Clutch

<---Pass
Luckily most beach communities are pretty laid back. I have never had a problem in my van and it screams out of place :)
Just looking for better mpg's and more room with my truck idea.

ahh...

Think you'll get the more room thing, mpg is gonna be tough. I can't remember the saying... you'll most likely achieve 2 out of the 3 things you want. A Sprinter can get the mileage and room you want...forget the price though.

Malibusurfer

Clutch, yeah a Sprinter would be epic!!! I've even considered trying to save some more $$ and get a earlier cummins, then the size of my service box would be a non issue and still get over 20 mpg... Diesel $$ would be a bit more, but steadier fuel mileage...

SDDiver, funny you mention it, but my destination is usually Encinitas. I surf Cardiff, Swami's, Pipes, San Elijo, etc... Have not surfed Beacons in a few years.. Parking is always a pain up there... Bone yards is fun cause I'm a goofy foot, but rides arn't as long as the rights down there :)

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
What cab configuration? And are you stuck on gas?

What about an old regular cab 7.3L or 5.9L diesel.. 2wd, lower it sightly, strip weight, high Rise topper blacked out windows.. I bet it will do real close to 20 mpg and they won't be as effected if you throw a board on the roof or something like a small gas would.

Malibusurfer

Only reason gas now is cheap purchase price compared to a diesel rig, and honestly my idea on this is kinda a first try to see if I like it, and improve on the build from this one. The end goal is to do the same in a newer diesel cummins for family travel. Have a regular longbed, then this bed/camper box to drop on for trips with family.
This is really just experimental at first, but would like it to be usable and get me to my destination as cheap as possible :)

Clutch

<---Pass
What cab configuration? And are you stuck on gas?

What about an old regular cab 7.3L or 5.9L diesel.. 2wd, lower it sightly, strip weight, high Rise topper blacked out windows.. I bet it will do real close to 20 mpg and they won't be as effected if you throw a board on the roof or something like a small gas would.

My buddy's 2WD extra cab long bed cummins pulls 18-20 HWY....though he complained so much about the cost diesel and cost of maintenance, and traded it in on a half ton chevy gasser.

How does that old saying go...6 of 1, half dozen the other...

lqhikers

Adventurer
after re reading op i'm wondering what van you are driving now.

i had a 1999 astro 2wd that i bought new highway mpg always 18-19
sold it at 100000 miles only problem 1 fuel pump pain to change.
seems to me this would be your best bet as astro's are still easy to find
with low milage and meet all your "stealth" requirements.

also had a 2007 ford e-150 van small v/8 full size 16-18 mpg highway
more length than astro but not as nice to drive.

of course early in my early stealth days vw's Van hard long trips wound tight!

now days 2013 ford transit tc straight highway 30 mpg,mixed city, beach,etc 27 mpg
set up as camper plus stealth!

above all serve as a truck when i hook up my small utility trailer when i "need" a truck
with out the headache.

let us know what you end up with.

Les,lqhikers

Malibusurfer

My van is a 89 E250 with a 9.4:1 302 with AOD and 31" tires, headers, etc. Early Mustang heads, a mild cam and Edelbrock carb. The FI took a dump, so I built a very mild carb'd 302... No smog where I live :)
On very flat stretches and at about 60 mph, I can get about 16-17. Any hills just destroy my mileage due to tall tires and very little torque in the 302.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior