Best Hitch Receiver for Max Weight and Ground Clearance van towing!?

I’ve been having a hell of time with etrailer.com and the like. Evidently my ‘98 Econoline is a bit of an odd duck, and I’ve read that it was a transitional year for the platform, so who knows what “bolt-on” hitch receivers will fit and which won’t. Also, given the age of the van, a lot of hitch receivers seem to be discontinued. Then add to that the layer of difficulty that nobody lets you specify that you’re no longer running your spare in the factory location, and there are probably a lot of options that could fit, but won’t list in the application guides based on preserving that space...

Anyway, hopefully others can weigh in and a thread of some meaningful benefit can be shared by all who search.

My number one choice:

This is a “Service Body” hitch, Class V rating, for 1,600 lbs. TW and 16,000 lbs. GTW; more hitch than I need with a 20,000 lbs. GCWR on a 7,000 lbs. van (13,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity, maybe a tiny bit more when you factor in the addition of a Super Duty D60 front axle, heavier springs, and tires and wheels with a LCC of over 6,000 lbs per axle...either way I’d rather be over-hitched than under-hitched).

The big “PRO” of this hitch receiver is that it looks like you could tuck it up all the way against the bottom of the frame rails for the most possible ground clearance. Something that’s pretty important on an EB van. The “CON” is that it’s for a “Service Body” van, which by definition, I guess, means that it’s not a regular bodied van...but why wouldn’t it work!?

The other option that I’ve come up with:

This is a regular old “bolt-on” Class V hitch receiver for a standard Econoline van. The ratings are probably “enough” for anything I would realistically throw at this van. 1,500 lbs. TW and 10,000 lbs. GTW (12,000 lbs. with a WD system).

The “PRO” for this system; it should be a direct bolt-on (etrailer actually says it will NOT fit my 1998 Econoline). The “CON”; inch or two less ground clearance since it would attach to the bottom of the frame rails, lower weight rating, and the fact that it might not actually fit my odd-duck ‘98.

Oh, and lastly I would be remiss to not include the Buckstop Towing Bumper in my list:

Very nearly pulled the trigger on one of these last week. Rated at 2,000 lbs. TW and 20,000 lbs. GTW, more than the van could ever hope to pull, and a true bolt-on, this one should be at or near the top of anyone’s list. The “PRO” is that this is bolt-on, highest weight rating anywhere, and no loss of ground clearance at all. The only “CON” is the price, at $1145 plus truck freight shipping (without tire carrier)...but it is worth every penny from a quality and craftsmanship standpoint.

Anybody else have anything to throw into the mix?

ricardo

Observer
I will never tow anything super heavy with my E350, maybe my land cruiser but the freaking things never breaks down..

So I did this mostly to mount my hitch bicycle rack (and a "work platform" i'm working on making)

the exact same bolts are used as well as the number of them, but end up gaining almost 6 inches of clearance..
FB9ED5DE-32C2-4DBA-8D69-5E35F0088253-L.jpg

No I did not do any "Fine Element analysis" on it but I can not really see any short comings..
CF6EFD4B-121C-472C-9DB2-5C419F3D8DC9-L.jpg

Massive clearance, specially when I get my own bumper build taking advantage of the room I gain (Mine is a "Long tail" E350)
0CB8043B-BD31-437F-AAA8-9530A137A497-L.jpg

Last edited:

telkey

I will never two anything super heavy with my E350, maybe my land cruiser but the freaking things never breaks down..

So I did this mostly to mount my hitch bicycle rack (and a "work platform" i'm working on making)

the exact same bolts are used as well as the number of them, but end up gaining almost 6 inches of clearance..

Nice, Did you flip the receiver or mount it on top of the frame?

I will never tow anything super heavy with my E350, maybe my land cruiser but the freaking things never breaks down..

No I did not do any "Fine Element analysis" on it but I can not really see any short comings..

Massive clearance, specially when I get my own bumper build taking advantage of the room I gain (Mine is a "Long tail" E350)

That looks like the same Drawtite receiver I posted above. I kind of wish you had done a “fine element analysis” ?, because I’m curious...
My gut reaction is that this isn’t ok in any application approaching anywhere near the maximum rated capacity of the receiver (not your intended usage, but it IS my intended usage), but the more I think about it the more I fail to understand HOW flipping the receiver in this manner could actually compromise the carrying capacity in any way. That receiver hitch is far stronger than the frame that it’s attached to and all of the forces are still being exerted on the frame at the same points as they would be in the “correct” installation direction.
I would be beyond stoked if somebody smarter than myself could weigh in on this. I am inclined to copy you, but I am also intending to tow a big heavy 12-14k lb trailer with my van...

ricardo

Observer
That looks like the same Drawtite receiver I posted above. I kind of wish you had done a “fine element analysis” ?, because I’m curious...
My gut reaction is that this isn’t ok in any application approaching anywhere near the maximum rated capacity of the receiver (not your intended usage, but it IS my intended usage), but the more I think about it the more I fail to understand HOW flipping the receiver in this manner could actually compromise the carrying capacity in any way. That receiver hitch is far stronger than the frame that it’s attached to and all of the forces are still being exerted on the frame at the same points as they would be in the “correct” installation direction.
I would be beyond stoked if somebody smarter than myself could weigh in on this. I am inclined to copy you, but I am also intending to tow a big heavy 12-14k lb trailer with my van...

Well I don't have a Engineering deggre (eleven years of school crap) but I have been making "Bullet proof" Stuff (Literally and figuratively) for more than 40 years with very little failures..

Then again, i don't intent to tow anything heavier than half the capacity of the van (Ones in a bluemoon, emergency kind of)

Sincerely I can not see any ill effects on the shear loading on the bolts or brackets, plus the bumper "will HOLD IT" for a nano second longer if the 10 bolts manage to blow up

My plan is to find a "Step Bumper" and cut the same hole (they do exist) until I have access to my welder and can make my own "Skinny" bumper..

One shortcoming..

MY Kuat rack, kind of gets in the way of opening the doors (Stock, but I'm working on it as we speak)

Well I don't have a Engineering deggre (eleven years of school crap) but I have been making "Bullet proof" Stuff (Literally and figuratively) for more than 40 years with very little failures..

Then again, i don't intent to tow anything heavier than half the capacity of the van (Ones in a bluemoon, emergency kind of)

Sincerely I can not see any ill effects on the shear loading on the bolts or brackets, plus the bumper "will HOLD IT" for a nano second longer if the 10 bolts manage to blow up

My plan is to find a "Step Bumper" and cut the same hole (they do exist) until I have access to my welder and can make my own "Skinny" bumper..

One shortcoming..

MY Kuat rack, kind of gets in the way of opening the doors (Stock, but I'm working on it as we speak)

See, this is what I’m working with:

That’s the Weldtec “Mojave” bumper, and it seems to me that the receiver mounted in the way you have done it would fit perfectly in between the top and bottom tubes. Why lose ground clearance if I don’t absolutely have to!? I had even considered welding some sort of tabs to the round tube and bolting through the receivers reinforcement plate to tie the two pieces together, more for the receiver to support the bumper than vice-versa, but they would in fact strengthen each other.

But as I said before, I do plan to max that receivers rating out. And if I could find one stronger that could mount similarly, I would go that route instead, but I’ve looked and I can’t.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

ricardo

Observer
Wow that Hole in the middle of the bumper is totally calling for a Hitch, very cool..

Well you can always weld a extended mounting plates to the hitch so you can use 6 bolts instead of the four (in my case)

Also the frame of my van (2003 7/3 E350) has a "Step" on the hitch mount (1/4") So I fab some spacers so all the bolts are at equal tension and not of them are in a angle (They need to be 100% Perpendicular to the frame and hitch..)

I will say go for it..

Very nice bumper, shame the corners are so "Square" (up and down) the one I want will have Slim corners to aid with the ground clearance..

Something kind of like this..
17880_251464065449_523630449_4877062_2952117_n.jpg

Wow that Hole in the middle of the bumper is totally calling for a Hitch, very cool..

Well you can always weld a extended mounting plates to the hitch so you can use 6 bolts instead of the four (in my case)

Also the frame of my van (2003 7/3 E350) has a "Step" on the hitch mount (1/4") So I fab some spacers so all the bolts are at equal tension and not of them are in a angle (They need to be 100% Perpendicular to the frame and hitch..)

I will say go for it..

Very nice bumper, shame the corners are so "Square" (up and down) the one I want will have Slim corners to aid with the ground clearance..

Something kind of like this..
17880_251464065449_523630449_4877062_2952117_n.jpg

I thought the same thing when I saw it, but if you look at the sides, there’s no clean way to make it any less square without either leaving the body exposed, or cutting away some of the body.

Anyway, I figure if I end up banging the corners up too bad I can always contemplate some kind of surgery.

ricardo

Observer
I thought the same thing when I saw it, but if you look at the sides, there’s no clean way to make it any less square without either leaving the body exposed, or cutting away some of the body.

View attachment 523306

Anyway, I figure if I end up banging the corners up too bad I can always contemplate some kind of surgery.
Bingo the "Whatever you call the Bottom segments" on my Van are very Rusty, in fact the tree pieces are separated from each other, so the idea is to reinstall the new segments in a diagonal fashion, I have to admit more for "$hits and Giggles" than anything else, just to make the van look a little more "Agile"

ricardo

Observer
I had to remanufacture the arm for the Kuat rack and since I don't have access to a welder I use a million bolts..
7D39E546-C9C5-48AD-BBB4-64CBC6B36CD5-L.jpg

01B10826-1A31-4E04-B3E3-2C04702EC727-L.jpg

The "Beam" needs to be very long because I plan to implement one of this tire carriers using 80-20 and a old spare tire mount from a Disco I
yyyyyyyyyyy0000000-L.jpg

The tire holders are cheap and plentiful (since most engines blow sooner rather than later)
yyyyyyyy9999000000-L.jpg

What year is your van Ricardo? I got the Drawtite Ultra Frame hitch receiver that I posted above, and it definitely won’t be a bolt-on deal in the correct orientation. It only lines up with 1 of the three holes on each side, and it seems to want some gradual curve to the rail that my ‘98 van is lacking.

To flip the receiver up between the frame rails I will have to remove the spare tire bracket and trim about 1/4” off of the bottom lip of the frame on either side. I’m sure the frame won’t miss that 1/4” for overall strength.

I’ve sent all of this via text to an engineer buddy of mine a couple of times now, but he won’t respond...which usually means that whatever approach I am inquiring about is systematically flawed and I’m just being stupid. Though he is also off racing Pikes Peak this weak, so maybe he’s just preoccupied. Haha! I’ll chime back in if he ever answers my question...

ricardo

Observer
What year is your van Ricardo? I got the Drawtite Ultra Frame hitch receiver that I posted above, and it definitely won’t be a bolt-on deal in the correct orientation. It only lines up with 1 of the three holes on each side, and it seems to want some gradual curve to the rail that my ‘98 van is lacking.
2003 E350 with a 7.3

I just took the hitch and did what it took to flip it, my frame has a "Step" about 1/4" difference, I fix that with a spacer, now the rack is totally parallel to the frame of the truck..

To flip the receiver up between the frame rails I will have to remove the spare tire bracket and trim about 1/4” off of the bottom lip of the frame on either side. I’m sure the frame won’t miss that 1/4” for overall strength.

Sorry I forgot to mention I delete the tire mount, is to much precius space to waste it with a tire (i'm making a "STash box" on that space.)

I’ve sent all of this via text to an engineer buddy of mine a couple of times now, but he won’t respond...which usually means that whatever approach I am inquiring about is systematically flawed and I’m just being stupid. Though he is also off racing Pikes Peak this weak, so maybe he’s just preoccupied. Haha! I’ll chime back in if he ever answers my question...
Engineers have wonderful minds but sometimes a little to "Square", i rather know less but have way more freedom to experiment and play..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior