Best new stock 1/2 ton truck for overloading

phsycle

Adventurer
My current truck is a 2016 F150 FX4 with rear e locker, 93k miles. Price doesn't really matter but the new ones are sooo expensive and they don't do a lot more than my current truck. I can put 10k into my truck and be good to go I think. I was a little wary about the mileage but there are plenty of F150's running around with >150k miles. It is a 5.0 as well. I don't necessarily need new, I just want reliable.

What are you looking for in a new truck that your current one can’t do?

Personally, an F150 w rear locker is plenty capable for all those trails mentioned. Unless you are dying for a new truck, just run what you’ve got.

jbaucom

My current truck is a 2016 F150 FX4 with rear e locker, 93k miles. Price doesn't really matter but the new ones are sooo expensive and they don't do a lot more than my current truck. I can put 10k into my truck and be good to go I think. I was a little wary about the mileage but there are plenty of F150's running around with >150k miles. It is a 5.0 as well. I don't necessarily need new, I just want reliable.
If you don't necessarily want a new one, then you may as well stick with the F150 you already have and know. No sense paying nearly new prices for a used truck when you already have a used truck. Unless you order new and pick specific options, the average F150 won't be any more capable than the one you already have. In fact, the average used F150 is probably less capable than the one already own. A bunch of them are 2.7's without the payload package, so they have a 400 lb GVWR/payload disadvantage compared to your 5.0.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Right? I vote this Typo of the year!

If not a typo, he will fit right in here!

People here LOVE to buy undersized trucks and run them overloaded here! Its all the rage!

If he really wants advice on how to overload a half ton, hes come to the right place!

I doubt most folks need to tow 35,150 pounds to go overlanding.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying I don't need more towing/load capacity than the F-150 for my ego to follow me.

The 5.0 in the F-150 tows my 24' pontoon boat up the Ozarks hills at 65 without puffing, doesn't even know the toy hauler with my trike is hooked up. It's just momma, me and the dog, food for a couple weeks, 30 gal. of water and 36 gal. of beer.

The only time I'm ever overloaded is when I leave the bar. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior