Best Pee Jars?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
In one recent thread here, the discussion of the initial target topic went off rails a bit as is frequently and humorously the case on expo.

Anyway, that side discussion turned into a debate about the best way to pee at night when you’re not wanting to climb down the ladder and go outside into the cold, dark, wet night.

One suggestion was using widemouth Nalgene bottles as Pee jars. For those of you who may not have tried this simple hack to RTT camping, I’ll share with you my unsuccessful experience with that technique.

Having rather small hands and short fingers (no, please don’t go there!) I found that it was often too difficult for me to get a good grip on that slippery large diameter bottle, meaning simply that it was too easy for me to fumble it and drop the damn thing and spill pee all over the bed.

So here’s my recommendation on improving the functionality of a nighttime pee jar for you campers.

Next time you’re done using one of these laundry detergent bottles, see below, make some improvements in the pour spout to enlarge the opening of the neck of the bottle a bit, and use that detergent bottle with it’s convenient, no slip handle, as your source for nighttime comfort and relief.

F03C5C59-21F7-48B7-9181-750A21068842.jpeg
(A spritz of Lysol into the bottle after emptying it can keep it sanitary and odorless)

Last edited:

PA Slammer

Observer
In one recent thread here, the discussion of the initial target topic went off rails a bit as is frequently and humorously the case on expo.

Anyway, that side discussion turned into a debate about the best way to pee at night when you’re not wanting to climb down the ladder and go outside into the cold, dark, wet night.

One suggestion was using widemouth Nalgene bottles as Pee jars. For those of you who may not have tried this simple hack to RTT camping, I’ll share with you my unsuccessful experience with that technique.

Having rather small hands and short fingers (no, please don’t go there!) I found that it was often too difficult for me to get a good grip on that slippery large diameter bottle, meaning simply that it was too easy for me to fumble it and drop the damn thing and spill pee all over the bed.

So here’s my recommendation on improving the functionality of a nighttime pee jar for you campers.

Next time you’re done using one of these laundry detergent bottles, see below, make some improvements in the pour spout to enlarge the opening of the neck of the bottle a bit, and use that detergent bottle with it’s convenient, no slip handle, as your source for nighttime comfort and relief.

View attachment 709456

I’ve always used the square Nalgene bottles.

chet6.7

Explorer
Califia-Farms-Pure-Almond-Toasted-Coconut-Milk.jpg

These work for me.

NOPEC

It is also about being half a sleep when doing the deed. I have found it to be imperative to have a real handle. I have used a salsa bottle for years, below is a canned photo of one similar to mine. Warning! With the use of these Salsa bottles especially with extra hot/muchas peppers in the original contents, ensure the inside of the top is well cleaned prior to initial use.......

I really like the laundry detergent bottles idea, so I went down stairs to check ours and was informed by She Who Must Be Obeyed it could only happen when they are empty, no high grading, so it will be a while.

1645986973695.png

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
+1 on the detergent bottle with handle. I added a glow-in-the-dark button to the cover to help find the thing in the dark.
A few drops of dish soap and an ounce of water, sloshed around after dumping eliminates smell.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
It is also about being half a sleep when doing the deed. I have found it to be imperative to have a real handle. I have used a salsa bottle for years, below is a canned photo of one similar to mine. Warning! With the use of these Salsa bottles especially with extra hot/muchas peppers in the original contents, ensure the inside of the top is well cleaned prior to initial use.......

Right on!

? I started off with the salsa bottle, that’s what got me ‘going’ on improving this strategy.

Here’s the first version…a spray painted Pace bottle!

0E7F158D-3BD0-49E5-84DF-583A1CCB44C1.jpeg

Side note:
With these convenient handles, you can also easily use these while driving!

Helpful Tip:
Once full, you can also use these as a hot water bottle ?

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Califia-Farms-Pure-Almond-Toasted-Coconut-Milk.jpg

These work for me.

I’d definitely have to caution the others in my camp not to use this in their coffee come morning. ? That’s not a mistake you’re going to make with the laundry detergent bottles

Last edited:

1000arms

The Nalgene Wide Mouth Rectangular Bottle (64-Ounce) work for me, and I don't worry about confusing them with my 32 oz cylindrical Nalgene drinking water bottles. :cool:

For women, add something like the Lady J.

For anyone who might consider it, I'm able to use the wide-mouth Nalgene bottle while on my side, while my girlfriend needs to be more vertical. We don't have any kids, but, it isn't tough to stay covered up while urinating in to a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle, with the right sleeping gear. Warmer that way too, especially at -20 F. :)

"As a side note, we’d also come to the realization that if you’re traveling with another person in a small camper in a third world country and can’t go to the bathroom in front of them…you probably have a much bigger problem." from Gary Wescott:

NorthwestDriver

Ground tent for the win. I think most people overlook this item when drooling over the RTT.

Now, being a mountaineer, not wanting to go outside during a snowstorm or when it’s 0 degrees presents a similar problem. A wide mouth Gatorade bottle is great. You drink the Gatorade on the hike in and then you’ve got a vessel to refill later…

pluton

Adventurer
That McKesson hospital-type pee bottle has one big problem: The cap does not secure. It can easily be flipped open if the bottle is knocked over in the dark, which will happen.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Big Dollar Drink.

Does double duty as in "Recycling"

Problem for me is I fill up when "Recycling" to the same level as when I bought it!

Attachments

• f6dab88fc78b605a4b9bd67e2bb6cab4.jpg
    f6dab88fc78b605a4b9bd67e2bb6cab4.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 35

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior