Best sleeping pad

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Here's an air mattress that is the best I've had --

The "Light Speed" is the size of a Queen mattress and packs pretty small, but the best part is it is multi chamber with flow restrictors that seperate movement like an expensive home mattress-

If you move /turn over, the movement isn't
transfered to your wife/GF and the texture isn't polished-so minimal slippage-

-Light speed airbed-
Tepui-Lightspeed%20mnattress%20001_zpsecri5mvo.jpg

Tepui-Lightspeed%20mnattress%20004_zpshhltvbus.jpg

very tough and comfy-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Being that I only have 75" of bed space I'm leaning towards the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus. How much of a comfort difference is the Comfort Plus Insulated and the standard Comfort Plus?

Too bad the bed isn't longer or I'd be going Mega Mat.

Thanks!!
I would just pop for the Insulated pad. Being in a truck bed, that extra R value will be key.

As I've said before, for the small size and weight, I haven't found anything else to be as comfortable.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
For the ultimate night sleep I use a slat suspension (2.5" travel) base and an EXPED mattress, muy agradable

EXPED now makes a doublewide MEGA Mat I hoping to see one in my travel trailer later this year

Attachments

• slat bed frame.jpg
    slat bed frame.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 53

JohnnyS

Explorer
For the ultimate night sleep I use a slat suspension (2.5" travel) base and an EXPED mattress, muy agradable

EXPED now makes a doublewide MEGA Mat I hoping to see one in my travel trailer later this year

That is quite possibly the uber tuna. Makes our old Eezi-Awn 1600 look like sleeping on rocks.

hoser

Explorer
x10 on the Megamat... but we pack 3 of them and space is an issue. We'll probably switch to 3 Exped Synmat 12's for packability. The difference in R-Value (9.5 vs 6) is of some concern.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As more people try the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated mats, the number of MegaMat users will decline in equal measure. It is THAT good. And one-sixth the compressed size.

hoser

Explorer
As more people try the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated mats, the number of MegaMat users will decline in equal measure. It is THAT good. And one-sixth the compressed size.
The main reason I like the megamat is the 30" width and the high R-value. I didn't see an equivalent Sea to Summit pad and I'm guessing they won't ever offer anything wider.

traveldud

Observer
The largest pad they have:

Size Variation Large Rectangular
Length 80 in/203 cm
Width 26 in/65 cm
Weight36 oz/1015g
Packed Size 5 x 10 in/12 x 26cm
R Value 5
# of Air Sprung Cells
Color
Red

D110

Observer
Just did a weekend with a Megamat Duo, bit of a pain to roll up and takes up a chunk of space... but boy did the wife and I sleep well! Well worth the extra size and work.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Just did a weekend with a Megamat Duo, bit of a pain to roll up and takes up a chunk of space... but boy did the wife and I sleep well! Well worth the extra size and work.

Great news and good to hear. Had you experienced a single Mega mat previous? Hoping the same experience with the duo and the single.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp

Glad to hear it. Do yourself a favor, get a 12v mattress air pump at walmart. I use mine to inflate AND deflate the megamats. It takes all the work out of rolling them up!

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
The top INSULATED mattresses on the U.S. that I'm aware of are:

1. Exped Megamat 10. Supposedly self-inflating but mine doesn't self-inflate in the least. The most comfort money can buy in a camping mattress. Hard to deflate and roll up.

2. Exped Synmat 12: Much more compact and easier to roll up than the Megamat, with 90% of the Megamat's comfort. Not self-inflating. Deflates and rolls up quickly.

3. REI Campbed 3.5. People love this pad . . . because they've never tried the Exped Megamat. Self-inflates quickly, soft top surface.

In general, a self-inflating mattress that has a layer of foam is more comfortable than a non-self-inflating mattress that lacks the extra layer. Air cushions pretty well, but foam plus air cushions really well.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer

Don't forget about the Exped Synmat 12, which solves the size problem. Compare the specs:

Synmat 12: 30 x 77 x 4.7; packed size 6.3 x 13; 3lbs 1 oz, R5.3 (-4 F); $209
Comfort Plus: 26 x 80; packed size 5 x 10; 2lbs 4 oz.; R5; $220

The website doesn't give the thickness of the Comfort Plus; REI gives it as 2.5", making the Synmat 12 almost twice as thick.

To my eye, the Synmat 12 looks better, especially for vehicle camping where the small difference in weight and packed size is insignificant. There is a huge comfort difference between 2.5" and 4.7" thick. The extra 4" in width also makes a big difference in comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke