Best sleeping pad

Pascual

Megamat 10 here. I bought it used on ebay for a good deal. Best $180 I've ever spent and most I'll ever spend on any piece of camping gear, but I've learned the hard way why you shouldn't go cheap on a sleeping pad.

krax

Adventurer
I'm ready to upgrade from backpacking sleeping pads to some car-camping pads.

I've settled on Exped pads, but I'm torn on the exact model.

I've narrowed it down to three choices:
-Two MegaMat 10 pads and their coupling kit
-Two SynMat 12 pads and the coupling kit
-One MegaMat Duo 10

Thoughts?

Honu

lost on the mainland
I would rather have two ten than the duo a bit wider overall with two of them
the synmat are super cool but the megamat has more insulation value
also the self inflating foam properties I think also is what leads to it being so comfy :)
if space was a bit of a concern IMHO always something to think about the synmat 12 would be the choice :)

I'm ready to upgrade from backpacking sleeping pads to some car-camping pads.

I've settled on Exped pads, but I'm torn on the exact model.

I've narrowed it down to three choices:
-Two MegaMat 10 pads and their coupling kit
-Two SynMat 12 pads and the coupling kit
-One MegaMat Duo 10

Thoughts?

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Mine has a slow leak in it. Not happy. Have to put it in the bathtub this week to find it I guess. I used my thermarest last weekend and the Synmats are the poo.

The only time mine has "leaked", it was actually seepage at the covers of the pump and/or drain port. One trip I needed to pump it up twice overnight because it was getting soft, and in the morning I feared a leak and checked it over. In the end all I did was cycle the drain port cap a few times and it has sealed fine ever since - i.e. no leak.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
the synmat are super cool but the megamat has more insulation value
also the self inflating foam properties I think also is what leads to it being so comfy :)
if space was a bit of a concern IMHO always something to think about the synmat 12 would be the choice :)

The Synmat 12 is rated to -4F, while the Megamat is -54F. I would think that -4 would be enough for most campers.

For some reason my Megamat has never done any self-inflation whatsoever. I've always inflated it by hand. The Synmat 12 and the Megamat inflate in about the same time. I recommend the smaller yellow inflation bag from Exped: http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/schnozzel-pumpbag-ul-m I found the larger Schnozzel very unwieldy and could only get it 1/3 full.

I own both of these mattresses. I use the Megamat at home but prefer the Synmat 12 for camping because:

--It is very close to the Megamat in comfort.
--It takes up FAR less space when packed.
--Deflating it and rolling it up is MUCH faster. You really have to wrassle with the Megamat to get the air out. You have to roll, unroll, and reroll it about three times. The Synmat deflates easily in a few seconds.

Although you get a bit of extra comfort with the Megamat, to my way of thinking it's not enough to offset the considerable extra weight, packed size, and difficulty of deflating and rolling it up.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I slept alternately on the Exped Synmat 12 and the Megamat for 14 straight months. That's 420 nights. I had no durability problems or leaks whatsoever. Same for the Synmat 7, which I've used less. My REI Camp Bed 3.5 developed a lot of tiny holes within a couple of months of purchase but its replacement has been going strong for 3 years. Manufacturers seem to have occasional quality control problems but overall I think Exped products are very reliable.

krax

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice, guys.

I'm leaning towards two doubles so I can just take one out on a solo trip if I wanted to.

Taking up less space in the vehicle is certainly a plus, but my number one priority for these pads is comfort. It doesn't hurt that the MegaMat is a bit cheaper than the SynMat.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah I just know my wife likes to be warm the more the better :) ahahahah
cool ya own both :)
agree on space I have really gotten more and more into smaller gear again just more space in the rig usually lighter easier to move around to get ready and put away etc.. :)

interesting to hear on the inflate deflate :) I only owned a regular megamat the synmat 12 was not out when we tried ours :)
but I am %100 hammock for camping these days :)

The Synmat 12 is rated to -4F, while the Megamat is -54F. I would think that -4 would be enough for most campers.

For some reason my Megamat has never done any self-inflation whatsoever. I've always inflated it by hand. The Synmat 12 and the Megamat inflate in about the same time. I recommend the smaller yellow inflation bag from Exped: http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/schnozzel-pumpbag-ul-m I found the larger Schnozzel very unwieldy and could only get it 1/3 full.

I own both of these mattresses. I use the Megamat at home but prefer the Synmat 12 for camping because:

--It is very close to the Megamat in comfort.
--It takes up FAR less space when packed.
--Deflating it and rolling it up is MUCH faster. You really have to wrassle with the Megamat to get the air out. You have to roll, unroll, and reroll it about three times. The Synmat deflates easily in a few seconds.

Although you get a bit of extra comfort with the Megamat, to my way of thinking it's not enough to offset the considerable extra weight, packed size, and difficulty of deflating and rolling it up.

xplrn42

Adventurer
I'm getting annoyed with the pin holes in my exped downmat, thinking of going back to thermarest but I'll try an REI replacement first I guess.

I agree with Honu that hammocks rule, I slept in mine for 6 months straight. Moved back into a bed recently and the hammock wasn't working for sleeping at camp every time.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Two of my buddies just ordered four :rockon:

Haven't slept on them yet but there super comfortable. Perfect fit for the back of the 4runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94