Best Snorkel??

mudraider

Adventurer
I'm currently saving for a fresh set of Tires.
The Snorkel kit is back burner for the moment.
Not out of the question,, but I'm reluctant to drop the cash not knowing it will actually fit.
Have you guys actually done this install,,? Or word of mouth recommendation?
Really appreciate the info.
G, in beautiful Boulder City Nv. Cheers.
Not on a 2005, but have seen them on Gen 1's and Gen 2's

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PaydayGabe

Not on a 2005, but have seen them on Gen 1's and Gen 2's

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply??,
My rig is a 2002 Montero Sport 3.5L 6G74 engine U.S. spec. I realize that's a challenge. Very limited options for this vehicle here.
?‍♂️I've been searching.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I have been considering this too (2001 Sport XS) but have been toying with adding a cold air pipe from factory air box to intake if anyone has any thoughts on that I would gladly listen. Again I will keep the factory air box to protect the filter since adding a snorkel than deleting the air box would be silly. Just want to add the smooth pipe from air box to intake.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
The snorkel goes into the factory air box by deleting the pipe that pulls the air in from just under the lip of the hood.

PaydayGabe, I actually have the diesel kit in my 2001, that's how I know it fits... I'd post up a pic, but it's at The shop getting coolant lines replaced along the rear of the engine (hoping it isn't anything worse or I will be parting it out).

Mudrunner

Adventurer
The air box in a Montero Sport is right behind the left front headlight and the antenna is by the window on the same side there shouldn't be any reason for interference.

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
Sure, dunno when that's going to be, was supposed to have it back already, but it looks like every other silver NM gen3 Pajero with a snorkel ?
Here's a video of an install I watched to do mine. I dug up the instructions for the Safari snorkel as well and it was fairly straightforward. I couldn't tell you about the antenna as the PO had already broke it off.
I was surprised on how thin the fender sheet metal was. To get the hole started, run the saw backwards and get a GOOD HOLE SAW! A good quality holesaw is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE THAN A NEW FENDER! The body work on my Wrangler was about 3x as thick as the fender on the Monty...

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
s-l400.jpg
So the gold bar and the circle with the tabs on it are to center the hole saw to make the hole through the inner fender liner. But that's the way my kit looked when I ordered it on eBay and when I got it. Again, for the diesel but the diesel and gas engine both use the same air box.

PaydayGabe

?‍♂️?‍♂️Ok Guys! Lol?. Really!
Not! !
Apparently that's for a non- US spec model obviously.
I think I'll leave well enough alone and save the $$$.
Definitely interesting video.
?‍♂️lol, Ok Guys. ?jeez.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
No that is a Gen 3 Full size Montero. i think the OP has a 3rd Gen and you and I have a Sport/Challenger or Pajero sport. This has lead to some confusion with all posters

PaydayGabe

?‍♂️?‍♂️Ok Guys! Lol?. Really!
Not! !
Apparently that's for a non- US spec model obviously.
I think I'll leave well enough alone and save the $$$.
Definitely interesting video.
?‍♂️lol, Ok Guys. ?jeez.

Yeah,,, that's definitely not compatible with my rig.
Beyond Labor intensive install?.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Most of us will never attempt to drive through water deep enough to need a snorkel. They are mostly eye candy unless you live in a 3rd world country with horrible roads and lots of river crossings. I personally would never do it with my 20+ year old truck that I rely on. I’ll stick with driving through water depth limits as described in the owners manual. Everyone has their reasons though. Not saying they don’t look nice or improve versatility, but with the time I’ve spent just keeping mine maintained the last thing I’d do is ask for a bunch of problems resulting from taking my Montero for a swim.

Parx400

Most of us will never attempt to drive through water deep enough to need a snorkel. They are mostly eye candy unless you live in a 3rd world country with horrible roads and lots of river crossings. I personally would never do it with my 20+ year old truck that I rely on. I’ll stick with driving through water depth limits as described in the owners manual. Everyone has their reasons though. Not saying they don’t look nice or improve versatility, but with the time I’ve spent just keeping mine maintained the last thing I’d do is ask for a bunch of problems resulting from taking my Montero for a swim.

I had a 95 LS 20 years ago lifted with 33s. I got it stuck in the mud once and sucked mud and water into the air box. I was a dumb ass and used a KN filter back then. The filter deformed from the engine intake pressure when the air box got plugged and it sucked muddy water into the engine. Cleaned everything up, changed the oil like 4 times. Ran fine for a year and then started knocking.

There was zero support for Monteros back then. Just a few dudes on a forum. If I get another one I’m putting on a snorkel.

I wonder if anyone bought a used 95 in San Diego around 2001? Had guards front and back, rear spring lift , SR wheels with 33s and a huge roof rack. I traded it in on a new Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier