Best Toyota for $15K

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just my two bits, but I've owned multiple Hiluxs, a Tundra, a Taco, a 4 Runner, 3 40s, 2 60s, an 80 and currently have a 100. In your shoes, I'd keep your Accord and get the nicest 1st generation Taco or 3rd generation 4 Runner you can find for $10-12,000 and then put $3,00 or whatever you have left in to maintenance and upgrades. They are as good as it gets for the combo of off-road ability, comfort on the road and mechanical simplicity. The 3.4 is a great engine and if looked after will go forever.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Just my two bits, but I've owned multiple Hiluxs, a Tundra, a Taco, a 4 Runner, 3 40s, 2 60s, an 80 and currently have a 100. In your shoes, I'd keep your Accord and get the nicest 1st generation Taco or 3rd generation 4 Runner you can find for $10-12,000 and then put $3,00 or whatever you have left in to maintenance and upgrades. They are as good as it gets for the combo of off-road ability, comfort on the road and mechanical simplicity. The 3.4 is a great engine and if looked after will go forever.

Seems like you get a lot of bang for the buck with 4runners. They're essentially the same platform as a Tacoma, but cheaper, have better build quality and similar aftermarket support. I'd start looking there.

Arktikos

Explorer
If I opted for a used 4Runner in this price range I'm thinking it would likely not have a locking diff or crawl control making it less capable stock.

Not a concern where you're going. People these days seem to be obsessed with unnecessarily acquiring maximum capability. I'd take Redthies advice.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
The one thing I know is that I want a 4WD Toyota in the form of a 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Tacoma, or Tundra. If I go new I'm leaning toward a 4Runner TRD Offroad.

[...]

If I was to look for a $15K (+) or (-) Toyota what would be my best bet for factory capability and reliability? I keep thinking about a Land Cruiser series 100 since I think they have craw control and center locking differential on many models but I do wonder if they are so sophisticated that they could cost a lot to keep running. If I opted for a used 4Runner in this price range I'm thinking it would likely not have a locking diff or crawl control making it less capable stock. BTW, I'd consider the Lexus LX or GX if the price is right but I'd assume they should cost more than their Toyota counterparts.

I'd like to what everyone thinks.

Thanks,
carb850

Honestly for $15k you are going to have a hard time finding a 5th gen 4runner, I would plan on paying $18k-$20k and you will still need to look around a bit. A TRD Off Road (which is called the Trail before 2017) is going to be out of your budget, in your price range you will be looking at high-ish mileage 2010-2013 SR5's. That's fine though, you don't need KDSS or Crawl Control (i mean they are great features, i enjoy them, but i don't think i would be limited not having them). The e-locker is nice, but you can always add a locker later when your budget allows.

You will probably get some people out west and in the southwest saying to get a Tundra, but a Tundra is going to be too big for some of the trails around you. Even with my 5th gen I've found trails I barely fit down and pinstriping is expected on anything more serious than a well graded and maintained FS road.

If you want a pickup get a Tacoma, if you want an SUV a 4Runner is going to be less expensive and have less miles than a Land Cruiser or LX/GX

Dalko43

Explorer
If I was to look for a $15K (+) or (-) Toyota what would be my best bet for factory capability and reliability? I keep thinking about a Land Cruiser series 100 since I think they have craw control and center locking differential on many models but I do wonder if they are so sophisticated that they could cost a lot to keep running. If I opted for a used 4Runner in this price range I'm thinking it would likely not have a locking diff or crawl control making it less capable stock. BTW, I'd consider the Lexus LX or GX if the price is right but I'd assume they should cost more than their Toyota counterparts.

Crawl control is overrated. I have it on my 5th gen 4runner and I've used it once (to test it on the dealer's lot before i made my purchase). I've never had a reason to use it since, and it will start to wear out your brakes. The ATRAC is nice, since it simulates a front locker, but again it will wear out your brakes if you rely on it too much. Mechanical traction aids trump electronic ones IMHO.

As for the locking diff, some 4th gen 4runners have them (the trail editions, but those are hard to find). The 5th gen has plenty versions with the locker (TRD, trail). ARB does make aftermarket air lockers for most Toyota 4x4's, so I wouldn't let the lack of a locker be the deciding factor.

Seems like you get a lot of bang for the buck with 4runners. They're essentially the same platform as a Tacoma, but cheaper, have better build quality and similar aftermarket support. I'd start looking there.

The 4runner (at least the 4th and 5th gen's) is not built on the same platform as the Tacoma. The 4runner is built off the LC Prado platform, made in Japan; the Tacoma is based off of a separate platform, made in North America.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
The 4runner (at least the 4th and 5th gen's) is not built on the same platform as the Tacoma. The 4runner is built off the LC Prado platform, made in Japan; the Tacoma is based off of a separate platform, made in North America.

Yeah duh, that's why I said "essentially" and not "identically." Same engines, trans, X-case, etc, similar size too, and it's not unusual to swap parts between the two. Suspension is the biggest difference, but I sort of give the 4runner the edge there since it's considerably cheaper to lift (at least to lift "right", springs and shocks being cheaper than leafs). Of course, the locker is more common in the Taco.

Edited to add; For what it's worth, I was specifically referring to the 3rd gen, which should be easy to find and mod within the budget, although 4th gen shouldn't be too far out of that range.

4Beast

Observer
If you decide on an SUV rather than a truck, I think you could get an early ('03-'05) 4th gen 4Runner with a V8 for a little less than a 100 series (maybe $7-8k?), and that gives you the flawless 4.7 drivetrain (with AWD) center diff lock and a capable offroading platform to add to, which would give you around $7-8 grand to upgrade with. They are a very usable size (and the rear seats fold fully flat, unlike the rear seats in a 100, which just roll) are a little lighter, so they are more peppy than the 100s and get somewhat better mileage). Without doing a SAS, you couldn't make them into a rock crawler, or add 37's or that crap, but they are very capable.

NoahGenda

Adventurer
Another Tundra vote here.

I have a T100, which I also wouldnt recommend due to how old they are now. But, Im a truck guy not an SUV guy. I find trucks have more uses than an SUV while also being capable of carrying as many people and objects as an SUV. I went with my T100 because my budget was 9-10k all said and done when built. Spending only $2800 on the truck allowed me to do all the maintenance to get it near new again and do some upgrades int he process.

e60ral

Are any of you Tundra voters on the east coast running trails in the Appalachian mountains?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Carb850

Honestly for $15k you are going to have a hard time finding a 5th gen 4runner, I would plan on paying $18k-$20k and you will still need to look around a bit. A TRD Off Road (which is called the Trail before 2017) is going to be out of your budget, in your price range you will be looking at high-ish mileage 2010-2013 SR5's. That's fine though, you don't need KDSS or Crawl Control (i mean they are great features, i enjoy them, but i don't think i would be limited not having them). The e-locker is nice, but you can always add a locker later when your budget allows.
X

The comment on the 5th gen 4Runner is only if I was to trade my daily driver, in which case the budge would be significantly more than the $15K.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Are any of you Tundra voters on the east coast running trails in the Appalachian mountains?

Yes....if you want an offroad only rig get a UTV or a 2 door Rubicon.

For everything else, a 1st gen cab Tundra will work fine and be useful for other stuff.

Reality is there isn't a ton of stuff that requires more than a Subaru in most of the US (especially out east), beyond that a stock 4wd with low range will get you the rest of the way there unless you are specifically after designated 4wd trails. Pin stripes will happen regardless of the truck which is one of the numerous reasons to not buy a brand new rig.

Sure there are pay to play offroad parks but that's not the same thing and a UTV/Moto is way more fun for that stuff.

e60ral

I'm not talking about capabilities, I'm talking about the size limiting you on narrow trails

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
If your ambition is family tent camping and mild off-roading, you are making this WAY too hard on yourself. Every one of the vehicles you listed will be great for what you want. I guarantee, even in stock form (or slightly more aggressive tires), each one's capability will exceed your needs. Each one is very reliable.

Which one do you like? You obviously have to decide if you want a truck or SUV, but once you have made that decision it is just a matter of preference. I don't know how big your family is, as that would certainly factor in - especially if you need more than 4 seats. But all those vehicles are very reliable and very capable. Whichever one you buy, you won't be kicking yourself because one of the others is more reliable or more capable. But you may be kicking yourself if you rationalized buying vehicle A when you really wanted vehicle B.

I went from an 80 series to my current GX470 because I realized I wasn't using it near its capabilities and wanted a more family friendly roadtrip vehicle (although I wish I held out for a 100 series). There must be one on that list that you find yourself looking at more than the others - that is the one you should get.

Dalko43

Explorer
I'm not talking about capabilities, I'm talking about the size limiting you on narrow trails

I don't have much experience with the Appalachians (at least not with its 4x4 roads). But having explored more than a few miles of roads in various parts of the east, I think the trails are somewhat narrow and restrictive due to the terrain and vegetation. If the roads were developed for forestry purposes (which a lot of them were) you should have no problem getting through them with a Tundra-sized vehicle...it might be tight, but you should get through just fine. Now, if you're dealing with old wagon or snow-mobile trails or skidder trials that were turned into 4x4 roads, you might have some issues, not just with size but also the weight of the vehicle (those types of roads usually aren't well established and get torn up pretty easily). That said, with some patience as well as little scratched up paint work, you'd be surprised how big vehicles can make their way through even the tightest of trails.

IMHO, as long as you aren't going with the longest wheelbase version, a Tundra should get down 99% of the roads you'll encounter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior