Best year Tacoma? AKA the never ending post

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I had none of the problems Kurt mentions. Other then the TB my 04 Taco really didn't give me many problems. Lot's of little things getting it dialed in with the S/C but once dialed in it didn't give me any more probs. The TB is a well known problem though when you S/C the engine, a simple TB bypass mod and TB spacer solved all my TB issues. I didn't wheel my truck much though. I did however use it hard on road, about as hard as anybody could who isn't 16yrs old!

It is for sale and in your price range....

http://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/2454787942.html

I can tell you the truck is in top shape and really nice. I dumped all kinds of money into it doing things that really didn't need to be done. Like; new CVs, new wheel bearings, new fan clutch and many more things. Perhaps due to all the regular maintenance plus replacing parts before they failed saved me some dramas?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
no, D/C 1st Gens are a 50" bed! The reg cabs and x-tra cabs have a 6ft bed or close to it. You have to decide what to sacrifice in the 1st Gens, more cab room or more bed room.

Also something to think about with the 1st Gens (no clue on anything else), the rear of the frame is weak. It is not boxed in back there and if you search the internet you will find lot's of stuff about failed frames back here from it being weak and failing with lot's of weight, heavy towing, ect. Having said that, you can plate the frame back here to buff it up a ton. My truck had that done plus a buffed up rear x-member, plus a beefy reciever and a super buff rear bumper. I often wieghed over 5200lbs, well over 600lbs in bed and did fine, no frame probs at all. There is even a kit out there to box in the frame or obviously if you can fab, box it in yourself. Something to think about if you want to haul stuff around a lot which it sounds like you do.

2nd Gen owners can correct me if I am wrong but the 2nd Gens do not have a steel bed. It is composit or something similar. 1st Gens were the last of the TRUE "mini" trucks imho due to still being mini truck size and having a steel bed.

Oh and the 5vz is a super bomber motor. With good care it will run hard and long for many many years. It also revs really nicely to 5k rpms. The only low point about them is you have to do the water pump and timing belt every 70-90k miles. The auto in 1st Gens (possibly earlier too) is the same auto put in Jeep Cherokees. It is pretty tuff, reliable and cheap to fix/replace, upgrades available too. In 70k miles of owning my Taco I only replaced one tie rod in the steering, nothing else, if you knew where the truck went that might amaze you!

Last edited:

skrillah

Adventurer
I'd say 01-04 model years were the best...

There are definitely pros and cons to both but too much plastic crap on the newer ones and hell they dont' even come stock with skid plates anymore. The 01-04's just seem built to last.

I'm obviously a little biased with only limited experience with the newer models. I'll be keeping my 04 until the wheels fall off.

Butcher54

Adventurer
Ya I ment 6FT bed but the damn auto correct on my IPhone keeps changing it. If I decided on a Tacoma it would have to be a 4dr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz