"Betty White" 95 SR Restoration/ Diesel Build Thread.

oldsmoky

Hey Guys,
Unloaded my first Mitsubishi truck off the trailer this morning. It is a loaded 95 SR, white in color 115K and, as with all my vehicles, it got a name. Mrs White turns 100 this year so "Betty" will be getting a 4M40 in the not too distant future. For now I am just going to get everything electrical and mechanical sorted, get the 6g74 back up and running, and upgrade the suspension a bit with some OME kit. I am already impressed with the quality of the build. IMG_0665 3.jpg

The clear coat is perfect, gonna buff it up when it stops raining. I think that the super thick dark black Kansas dirt layer protected it from UV pretty darn well. This pic is after two washes, it could use another couple more. The interior is in great shape, seats are about spotless, couple stitches are torn, one on the drivers front seat wing, and one on the drivers rear headrest, but they're fixable. I greased up the seats with some Obenauf's LP after the carwash. The tool kit is complete might have been opened once, IMG_0666 3.jpg

and it still has the rechargeable light.
IMG_0667 3.jpg

What is really impressive is the condition of Carpet! One bleached spot on a rear floor mat and the dirt and oil from the PO throwing parts in the back are the only blemishes I see. Heck I might get them shampooed, just cuz'! Myself, I'm a fan of carpet delete kits, but the original owner must have never carried anything that was even remotely grimy. I found a church bulletin in the back from 2015 which was about when it blew a head gasket. There was also a receipt from the same year for a new "computer" from the Mitsubishi dealer @300$. The rod fell off the exterior rear door handle and I could not get it to open from the inside either. When removing the interior panel I found the hidden child lock. ? IMG_0668 2.jpg

I need to buy some CD's! the Mitsubishi labeled 6 disk changer in the black case is cool! Overall I am very impressed with the build quality and the way this truck has survived. The engine turns over by hand so that was a relief, the front is partially disassembled but with how easy it turns I doubt the heads are too badly warped. Timing belt looks good. I am sure there will be plenty to fix, and to add to the work a packrat ate several wires on top of the engine during the two weeks it was waiting for pickup from the shipping company. But all in all I am extremely excited to be a Montero owner, and looking forward to getting it back on the road and in restored condition for the 4M40 transplant to come.
Michael

CharlieNorth

Looks nice.
I would recommend you do not surface those heads. If you do the cam bores will no longer be straight. Use MLS head gaskets.

oldsmoky

Thanks Charlie, I will be pulling the heads shortly and then I'll have a better idea of what I am up against. Got a full gasket set last week made by Ajusa, the HG is composite I believe but they have good product reviews from the high HP Mitsubishi crowd. Because I am not going to be milling the heads the composites are actually a bit better at sealing slightly uneven surfaces. I will see how the heads look in the next couple weeks and post some pictures. There is the off chance that I'll like the 6G74 in this truck and keep running it , so I will be taking the time to do it right.

oldsmoky

All right the parts roundup has begun, although my garage roof is going on slower than hoped due to snow and rain so getting to work will be delayed a bit. I just decided to go with an e-fan and aluminum rad, due to the fact I have to buy a new fan and clutch, and will need to have the existing rad rodded (or worse) and the combined cost is a wash as compared to Al rad, fan, and temp switch. On that note does anyone have a ball park on the "ideal" running temp for a 6g74? I see switches ranging from 170f to 190f in 5f increments with -15f shutoff range. I see the factory thermostat opens at 82c (180F) so probably fully open at 205f. I have an Aisin water pump, gates T belt, factory tensioner and pulley, crank bolt etc etc inbound. Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

CharlieNorth

The fan switches I generally use are standard Mitsu switches for early FWD cars such as Galants from the early 90s, I do not recall the temp of these, there are both high and low. I mount them in the return tank.
Way back when I built the red turbo Montero I used a dual fan setup and used one low and one high switch. With the radiators I have been running I rarely hear a fan run.
I do wire the fans direct battery so they can run after shutdown.

oldsmoky

Well with work and 2 kids this build is getting off to a slower start than I had hoped. I remember when I would wrench 10hrs straight, now I'm lucky if I get 10mins without getting called away. I bought this truck with no title, but now have a freshly minted MT title thanks to the great State of MT, just 12$ and some paperwork. They have got to be loosing money on that deal.

I now know which head has the bad gasket, DS is dirty from exhaust. The valve cover seals at the plug wells were blown from pressure and there was oil in the tops of the front two plugs. I'm hoping it is just the gasket and will have the head off tomorrow to inspect. PS head is super clean but it is coming off too. The oil is clean and the engine turns easily so I am hopeful. The original radiator had a crack at the filler neck, which was likely the cause of the overheat that killed it. I discovered it when I tried to put the cap back on and the neck just snapped off. Just going to solder it back on, inside the rad is clean.

The engine has a brand new timing belt and water pump on it, (Guys, I FOUND THE COOLANT LEAK! LOL) but i am going to switch them out while I'm in there as I already bought parts. The old front crank seal is a bit leaky so going to order and replace the CPS and blade as well. Full seal set on my bench so will refresh everything I can reach. I have also tracked down the last of the pack rat damage, the knock sensor in the valley was chewed to a nub, but that is about all I see that is chewed other than a few wires on the top of engine harness. (fingers crossed). You can see where the little devil went to town on it. I'm in the market for some plugs with solderable length pigtails if anyone ends up at the pick and pull...

IMG_0770.jpg

If the head is not cracked or overly warped I will be putting it all back together next week when the kids go to grandma's for a week. I'll take some photos of the reassembly.

All in all I am impressed with the build quality of the rig, and the design. Pretty easy to work on so far, although that steering shaft is a pain, without it the DS exhaust manifold it would have been 10x easier with my 2xl hands. Beyond that I did not have any trouble and didn't even have to crawl on the ice cold concrete. I did do a visual inspection of the undercarriage and everything looks very good , with the exception of the rear stabilizer links which are gone. No rust, good boots etc etc. I picked up some 31" BFG's for it and will get those on when I get a skinny minute. 4m40 parts from Russia piling up in my office so unless I measure that Cummins 2.8 and find it fits just perfect...I am still in the market for a used 4m40 engine.
Cheers

oldsmoky

I really like the platform. R2.8 at 160hp, 310 lb/ft 503lbs. The crate engine comes with PS, alt, etc. Adaptors for GM, Dodge, and Toyota trans and they can turn 30+ mpg in a lifted jeep on 38's. Whats not to like. The 9k price tag is high but not that bad, sure would be cool in a monty.

oldsmoky

Well the images from my fancy new iphone are too dang big to post, IMG_0834.jpeg

Had to shrink em. Heads are off, pistons and bores are clean. The driver's head with the obvious bad composite gasket was first to come off. The head still looks good, face is flat and I can turn the cams easily, valves have just a tiny spot of carbon. There was a small pool of oil in #4 so I am going to do valve seals just be sure. Just block and head cleanup, new gaskets and start piecing her all back together. When I went to loosen the crank bolt just now I rigged the pin spanner up and got my nice snap-on long breaker bar, got braced and gave it heck... and flew halfway across the garage, it was toured to about 50lbs. Looks brand new.

IMG_0837.jpgIMG_0836.jpg

Last edited:

oldsmoky

Well after getting the extremely clean looking head under the light it has two bad exhaust valves. Just ordered a couple OEM valves and the heads are off to the machinist for a valve job this week. All surfaces cleaned up well, block sanded the deck last night and it looks super. Did not want to spend extra money on the heads but so it goes with a 25 year old engine.

IMG_0841.jpg

oldsmoky

Just got a quote for a valve job and head cleaning 480$ What a deal. Should be back to me in a couple weeks stay tuned... or not? Cheers.

plh

Explorer
I really like the platform. R2.8 at 160hp, 310 lb/ft 503lbs. The crate engine comes with PS, alt, etc. Adaptors for GM, Dodge, and Toyota trans and they can turn 30+ mpg in a lifted jeep on 38's. Whats not to like. The 9k price tag is high but not that bad, sure would be cool in a monty.

$9k is the starting point, another $10K to get it mated to a Montero. IIRC the R2.8 like to run efficiently at 2000 rpm, not a great highway spot for gearing available in a Montero. Not sure if they got it all sorted, but they had lots of issues at launch year, are they even still selling them new? Probably stuck on the boat if they are (made in China).

Last edited:

oldsmoky

Yep you are probably right. I think 10k for adapting it to the truck is a bit high, but it would be a LOT of work. I am still focused on the 4m40 swap, I have engine and glow control parts intercooler etc, just need engine and transmission. I had been looking for a front cut but that may no longer be a "thing" so may just have to piece it all together.

Reactions: plh

ARDOR

I don't feel the Cummins R2.8 as a particularly ideal swap candidate either, for various reasons, but there is a Delica owner currently installing one.

Nice ride!
Keen to see the progress,
4M40 owner here, really like it! The V6 is great, but I found on road it wins hands down, but I prefer the diesel characteristics off-road, personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior