BFG KM2 255/85/16 "skinny tire" impressions

Dipodomys

Observer
I stayed with the stock 265/70/16 tires for the first few rounds of tires on my 2008 Tacoma. They looked a little puny on my modestly lifted truck (OME 886 springs in front and OME Dakar leafs with extra leaf in back...about 2.5 to 3 inches total lift). I didn't want to spend the money on larger tires and I also didn't want to impact the performance of my engine and transmission.

This time I decided to go with something different. After much research I settled on the BF Goodrich KM2 255/85/16. This tire is talked about a lot in the overland community, but I have seen very few actually out on the road. This is a "mud" tire, and it is tall and relatively skinny. It has a military look to it, particularly with steel rims. Not everyone likes that look, but I do. See the photos.

The stock 265/70/16 tire is about 30.5 inches high and about 10.5 inches wide. The 255/85/16 is 33.1 inches high and only 10 inches wide. The height difference is substantial, and will add about 1.5 inches to the height of your vehicle.

I also took the opportunity to ditch the not-very-attractive Toyota SR5 package alloy rims that came with my truck, which I've never been crazy about. I went with the stock steel rim...the same the spare tire is mounted on. They are crude but effective. They cost $105 each from Olathe Toyota (https://parts.olathetoyota.com/auto-parts), who, by the way, have the lowest prices I've found on OEM Toyota parts, even if you factor in shipping costs.

Here are my impressions of this tire, mounted on my 2008 Tacoma Dual Cab:

Noise: The aggressive tread is a little bit noisier, but not overly so. My wife hasn't mentioned anything, and if she'd noticed anything she would have let me know. :)

Height/Lift: The difference in truck height is noticeable. That's OK with me, as it adds 1.5 inches of additional clearance under the axles, differentials, and body. It's not ridiculously (AKA stupidly) high, though. I'm not into monster trucks.

Effect on Engine/Transmission Performance: The performance hit from the taller tire is substantial, and was greater than I had expected. I knew it might be a problem, but I think I had some wishful thinking that it wouldn't be too bad. Well, it is. It's fine on level roadways and in most highway driving conditions, but once you hit a hill you really notice. Lots of downshifting and not a lot of get-up-and-go. On a recent trip to Lake Tahoe on U.S. 50, there was no way that I could pass like I used to, as the engine couldn't gain speed on hills without really downshifting and screaming. That was not the case formerly. On the return trip over Sonora Pass (CA State Route 108; very windy and steep), I actually found myself manually shifting my 5-speed automatic all the way to Low gear to keep the engine from lugging around the super-steep and curvy stretches. The transmission couldn't seem to find the right gear, and always selected a gear that was too high. This was at very low speeds (<15 mph). Sadly, a ring-and-pinion change is in order. $$$. I could probably live with it as-is, but I really liked the former performance of my engine/transmission and would like to regain it. I would say that this height of tire is the absolute maximum you can go without a gearing change. It is marginally acceptable as it is, and would be completely unacceptable if it were any worse, at least in my opinion.

Speedometer: Your speedo will be off with any increase in tire height. Mine is now off about 10 percent or so. That means the speedo says I'm going 65 when I'm really going over 70. The fix is a gearing change or one of those speedo correction kits, and I've heard mixed reviews about those. Again, those clever engineers designed your vehicle for a specific engine/transmission/gearing combination. If you mess with that substantially you'll have to pay the piper. It's just like any modification from stock.

Looks: When I first saw them mounted on my truck, I was surprised at how aggressive the tread was. I like a subtle-looking vehicle, with minimal bling. These tires have grown on me, however, and I'm now totally fine with it. The larger tires also filled out my wheel wells quite nicely. I like the look with the black steel rims. I doubt if the paint on the rims will hold up. When that happens, I'll get them powder coated.

Offroad performance: I aired them down to 20 psi for some moderately difficult offroad action in the Sierra and they performed beautifully. I am very pleased. These are very tough tires. For a "mud" tire, they are equally at home on rocky trails. We don't have much mud around here, only the rocky Sierras and desert, and I expect these will do just fine.

Handling: No noticeable difference from stock, but the greater height and subsequent higher center of gravity is something to keep in mind.

Wearability: At $230 a pop, I want these babies to last as long as possible, though I doubt they'll last anywhere near as long as a smaller, less aggressive tire. They guy at the tire shop recommended rotations every 3,500 miles, and alignments every 10,000 miles. That's the price I'll need to pay to keep these guys from wearing out before their time.

So that's my experience. All in all I love the tires, but the performance hit is something anyone should consider before they purchase this tire, or any tire that is substantially greater in size than what came stock. You'll either need to learn to live with it, or spend some serious bucks to correct it. There's no way around it.

IMG_5363.jpgIMG_5364.jpgIMG_5365.jpgIMG_5390.jpg

Last edited:

boyfester

Observer
I like 'em! I'll be switching to 255/80 ST MAXX when my 255/75 KMs wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watt maker

Looks good!

I also prefer a tall, narrow tire. Currently I'm running 255/80/17 ST Maxx on my 2008 4runner and may put a set of those on my 2014 4runner as well. I do know how you feel about the power loss. I had to tow a couple of heavy trailers after getting the 255's and the power loss was definitely noticed. It is nice having the extra clearance though.

scheefdog

Observer
I like the tires and look! I have a 2015 Tacoma that is built similarly and I am running 265/70r17 KO2 tires. I live in Colorado and not sure I would put bigger tires than that on without regearing. I think Toyota should have put 4.10 gears in the Tacoma for certain trims (TRD if it was actually designed for more off road/adventure).

Last edited:

Elbee

Adventurer
i have the same tires on my 3rd Gen 4runner, not too noisy, great on different sorts of terrain and they look good. Love them, but it whacks the car out of its power band for automatics. I think 255/75 is what i'll switch to and put the 255/85s on my LR defender. The tire size would be perfect for someone that has re-geared their taco or 4runner.

virgin ut 4runner.jpg4runner canyonlands.jpg

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
BTW, an alignment every 10k miles? Is it just me, or does that sound like a silly money grab?

A bad alignment will roast the MT's in no time. You should definitely get it checked, which they should do for free.

I rotate my KM's every 5k and measure my own toe and camber at the same time, easy and cheap insurance for such a hefty investment.

Adventurous

Explorer
My biggest beef with the KM2s is how abysmal they are in the snow. Maybe my expectations were too high for a big blocky mud tire.

Dipodomys

Observer
BTW, an alignment every 10k miles? Is it just me, or does that sound like a silly money grab?

Maybe, but I've had a tough time keeping my front end aligned. Even with the stock tires I've experienced uneven tire wear, even with regular rotation. Always on the inside treads. These front ends are pretty light duty, and are easily knocked out of whack, or so I've been told by a number of people whose advice I would trust. If true, the taller tire now makes that even more of an issue. After dropping more than a grand on these tires, I'm OK with spending $100 a year on an alignment. If it earns me an extra 10,000 miles on this set, it will be worth it. Plus, it's nice having a truck that doesn't pull and wander.

Dipodomys

Observer
How is the sidewall bulge? Are the wheels you bought the same width as stock?

-M
You know, I didn't measure them, but they may be a wee bit more narrow. The stock tire (265/70/16) was 10.5 inches wide, whereas these new tires are 10 inches wide. So...a narrower tire should do fine on these rims, even if the rims are a tad narrower. I haven't noticed that the sidewall bulge is much different from what I had previously with the stock rims/tires.

Dipodomys

Observer
That might have been a good option. Same width (10 inches) but only 32 inches tall instead of 33 inches. I probably would have taken less of a performance hit. I'll think about that size when these guys wear out.

Dipodomys

Observer
Yes, they seem to have it very tightly dialed-in. I believe my truck has 3.73 gears. I think 4.10s would get me back to where I was previously, but I need to do the math. I'm not looking for a hot rod, but I thought the power previously was just right.

Good info guys. Where do you find the weight on tires? I seem to be missing it when checking specifications online??

Despite all your problems, they sure look good on that Tacoma! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94