Big Booty Judy - 2014 DC Tundra Build w OVRLND Camper

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Some more progress posts as the kids are watching Hamilton...

And on the Rago Fab mount, I installed an ARB twin compressor, and then my brother from another mother made my dual battery charger:

And it went straight to some good use in MT...

More to follow...

dstefan

Some more progress posts as the kids are watching Hamilton...

And on the Rago Fab mount, I installed an ARB twin compressor, and then my brother from another mother made my dual battery charger:

More to follow...

Been enjoying your progress — lurking to learn for my upcoming Tundra to support an Ordered Ovrlnd poptop shell. Been using a 10lb CO2 tank for my Tacoma, but will travel longer/more in a Tundra with camper, so been researchIng OBA.

Saw the Rago mount a while ago and my first thought was HTH do you access the fuse box (that’s what it’s over right?) offroad, easily when you have to figure out a blown fuse or some other electrical gremlin? Do you have to get out the ratchet and demount the ARB completely?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
The fuse box cover can still come off without issue, but if need, the whole mounting plate, compressor and all, is only 6 allen head screws, 2 bolts, and the compressor plug connections to take it off...fairly easy to pull off quickly and remount.

Great build and looking forward to seeing more adventures with the Habitat!

Regarding the Yakima tracks that you put on the old camper shell, did you ever adjust the towers forward and back? If you were to redo that setup, do you think the single point Yakima towers would work as well, or was it nice to have the full track?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Great build and looking forward to seeing more adventures with the Habitat!

Regarding the Yakima tracks that you put on the old camper shell, did you ever adjust the towers forward and back? If you were to redo that setup, do you think the single point Yakima towers would work as well, or was it nice to have the full track?

I liked being able to adjust the towers...wide for my paddles board or lumber, and narrower if I was hauling bikes while camping. I think I still have the base towers for the yak traks. If youre looking to add some for your camper, shoot me a PM and I'll make you a good deal on them as I dont have a need for them any more.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Ok...some more project and travel updates, in no particular order.

I spent about 3 weeks on the road in UT, OR, WA, ID, MT and a small jaunt in to far northern NV. This was camp the first night, in central UT at about 10k:

And coffee the next AM, definitely like the Mountain Hatch tailgate cover.

This was the spot my buddy and went fishing...caught a good one too...

Camp some where near the UT/WY border...woke up to snow, and these ************** on the way out....thankfull I had my bucksaw and axe.

Next it was the Alvord Desert and Steens Mountain area in OR...must see area in my opinion. Camped at a hot springs for a few nights and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Stopped on the way out to fish for some cuts, but no luck:

Made my way north and west some, towards ID from OR, and had to gas up off-road once...fairly easy with a jiggle siphon and decent jerry cans.

These are the lantern I use for camping...gotta love Luminaids.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I then made my way in to MT and stopped as much as I could to paddle.

Then stopped at the amazing place call the Garden of 1000 Buddhas.

And hiked along the Lochsa and checked out a few more hot springs:

Then it was time to grab the vintage Merc my coworker had stored in Billings. My buddy flew in and we trailered it back down to Flagstaff. Stock suspension would have sucked, and I'l glad I had the airbags. For mine, I went w the daystar cradles, as you can see in the second pic...they flex off road.

When I got back home, I painted the White Knuckle Offroad sliders with some SteelIt and installed them:

Thats all for now.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Oh, forgot that I added an Eezi-Awn K9 rack to the cab of the truck to haul some gas cans. The gas can holder is an OG Expedition Exchange unit from years and years ago that a buddy had laying around, but it still worked just fine.

And a better view of the gas cans on the rack.

I may get an actual rack to be able to haul my Husq and other stuff.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
OK...after the big trip through MT and back, it was time for a lift...after much reading and reading and reading, I went with what I know best...Old Man Emu. I've run OME on my 95 XJ, 01 XJ, 01 WJ, 01 Mitsubishi Montero, 91 80 series, and now Judy. Regular old springs pack in the rear, still w airbags, and might add the OME AAL with some shackles at some point. I had the work done by Summit 4x4 in Prescott, AZ. First time I've had a shop work on a vehicle, but between covering three different clinics in NAZ, I zero time to do it myself...I'm definitely happy w the results and the customer service too. SPC UCAs went in at the same time...next is wheels and tires when these wear out.

Here is a before:

And a few after:

Around this same time, I became very tired of hauling my bike, and my kids' bikes in the bed, so I went in search of a set-up to address that issue. One of the folks on the AT FB page turned me on to RIGD, and after looking at their product, I bought the Ultraswing Megafit. I dig this one because the hitch is still rated at 10k pounds and this thing DOESNT move. I went w the Front Runner table too, but dont keep it on all the time, as you can see...or cant see...to be specific.

For the bike rack, I tried a used Yakima frame holding style, but needed top tube adapters for 2 of the bikes, and after testing those, it was a no-go...I'd lose a bike on the road in to my house, let alone off-road, so I found a used Kuat on CL and ran it through some paces over the weekend.

You can see how far it sticks out, but even with some decent climbs and off camber situations over the weekend, there was no dragging of hitch, or bike rack:

In these, you can get a good idea of clearance:

All of these recent pics are from our trip to the Kaibab and NR of the GCNP...more pics to follow...

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Almost immediately when we got on the dirt, we came across a heard of buffalo:

We took a roundabout way to get to the edge of the canyon at our first stop, and were treated to views like this:

A sunset ride along a deserted road o the Kaibab, and views like this as the sun dipped below the horizon:

Camp set-up is always easy, and in the morning, we could see more of the features of the area:

I took the kids on their first bit of single track...7 miles round trip...and they were wiped afterwards!

It wouldn't be a trip to the area without at least one fallen tree...thankfully I learned and brought my Husq to make quick work of the pine tree:

Camp the second night was made late, but I chose an OK spot, if I do say so:

...and with that, we took off for home...

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
I love the fact that you get out and use your truck, man. Tasteful mods done when they are needed. Bravo.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Sold the Habitat, and am awaiting a Camp Ovrlnd topper in a few months. Took my last trip in it a few weeks back, my buddy and his GF came down from SLC to try and complete our AZ Wild Trout Challenge...we got skunked on native brooks and on the Apache...winds in the 40-50mpg range made casting damn near impossible on these small waters. Best part was all three getting the Gila.

Sneaking up on the little fish

Native bow

Native Brown

And my buddy gave me an awesome gift of his hand tied flies!

Had a few great campsites:

And made some camp spam musubis the last night...so damn tasty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles