Big Sky and Green Hills - Montana in May (2018)

turbodb

May 24, 2018. Eastward to Adventure!

We were packed and ready to go by 8:00am Thursday, having been looking forward to a Memorial Day trip with Mike (@Digiratus), Monte (@Blackdawg) and Devin (@MissBlackdawg) for the better part of a month. Still early in the season, we weren't sure what we'd find from a snow perspective, but we had a couple extra days to explore before everyone else showed up, and we had plenty of routes and re-routes to keep us busy!

The drive east was mostly uneventful and one of our easiest to date - get on I-90 and keep driving. With only a few pit stops for fuel and food, we found ourselves in Montana soon enough, and even then we only ran into a single delay - a 30 minute stop on the freeway near Tarkio, waiting for an accident to clear several miles up the road.

With good weather and plenty of CB traffic to listen too (CB channel 17 and 19 are fun to listen in on) the delay wasn't bad and we were soon on our way - our destination the Lewis and Clark National Forest near Great Falls. So, it was in Missoula that we exited I-90 for MT-200 towards Lincoln, where we planned to pit stop for the evening in the Flathead National Forrest.

For history buffs out there (like @mrs.turbodb), Lincoln is a pretty interesting place - it's where the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski holed up in a remote cabin without electricity or running water until he was ultimately captured by the FBI. For us, it was a great place to get a glimpse of the great outdoors and our first sunset!

As the sun was setting, we hit our first dirt, looking for camp. It was a bit of a crap shoot into the woods, and when we finally reached the end of the road (or rather, the road block that created the end of the road), it was on the edge of the previous years burn and soupy-thick with mosquitoes! Definitely not a place we wanted to stay, but without a plan, I wasn't sure we'd find anything better.

Not to be deterred (or bitten), @mrs.turbodb insisted that we head back to town, fill up on gas, and look for another place - so that's what we did. Ultimately, after following a few more roads that promised "National Forest Access," we found our spot. It wasn't in the forest, and it was just off the road - but it was on the edge of a beautiful valley; green grass rolling on (and on and on).

As the last of the sunlight faded away, we setup the tent and broke out the grill - it was homemade cheesburgers for dinner. Delicious! And then, after a long day of driving, we crawled into the sack. Little did we know that sleep would be fitful - the valley home to some of the noisiest sand hill cranes, elk, cows, coyotes, and Canada geese that you could imagine. Oh, and the nearly full moon shining right into our tent!

@mrs.turbodb broke out her earplugs and sleep mask. And I set my alarm for 5:00am, hoping to catch a spectacular sunrise.

May 25, 2018. We Never Expected to Make It

Western Montana being just at the edge of the Mountain time zone, a 5:00am alarm meant that I could catch the orange horizon and enjoy the entire sunrise. Of course, the fact that it sounded like a wild circus outside the tent meant that I'd been awake for 30-minutes anyway by the time my alarm went off.

I was immediately not disappointed. The orange horizon. The lush green meadow. The distant, snow-covered mountains. And the windmill.

I set out into the meadow, a cool crisp night having left the grass covered in a heavy dew, towards the windmill. To my surprise, just over a crest, two old log buildings and a creek - jewels in the morning, just as the sky was starting to light up!

From there, it felt like I couldn't snap pictures quickly enough. I found myself running through the meadow - from the windmill to the truck - several times, sure that the light now was better than it had been just a few minutes before. This continued for an hour or more until @mrs.turbodb climbed down from the tent.

Even then, as we walked through the fields again, the early morning sun was working it's magic, sparkling through the dew on the grass, lighting up the trees and windmill.

- - - - -
That's all the photos I can post here. To keep reading the rest of this story, and see the second half of the photos, check out

Big Sky and Green Hills - Montana in May (2018) - Part 1
over on adventuretaco.com

Foy

Explorer
What a fine, fine trip report! You were fortunate to have opportunity to get around as you did given the early dates and high 2019 snowpack. I'd be interested to know more specifically your last campsite was, the one north of Philipsburg. My guess is off to the west of MT-1 in the John Long Mountains, but east of MT-1 in the Flint Creek Range may be the place, also.

Just a small piece of info in no way detracting from your report: The mountains you enjoyed in Parts 3 and 4, from Helena to Basin and on to Deer Lodge, were the Boulder Mountains. The Bitterroots are well west of the Boulder Mountains, along the Idaho border west, northwest, and southwest of Missoula.

Foy

turbodb

What a fine, fine trip report! You were fortunate to have opportunity to get around as you did given the early dates and high 2019 snowpack. I'd be interested to know more specifically your last campsite was, the one north of Philipsburg. My guess is off to the west of MT-1 in the John Long Mountains, but east of MT-1 in the Flint Creek Range may be the place, also.

Just a small piece of info in no way detracting from your report: The mountains you enjoyed in Parts 3 and 4, from Helena to Basin and on to Deer Lodge, were the Boulder Mountains. The Bitterroots are well west of the Boulder Mountains, along the Idaho border west, northwest, and southwest of Missoula.

Foy
Thanks Foy, really appreciate that you enjoyed it. I'll go update the Bitterroots/Boulder bit - thanks for the correction!

turbodb

May 26, 2018.

... As I returned to the truck and put it in reverse, I looked at @mrs.turbodb and said, "Wish us luck!" I knew that having sat in the snow for 10 minutes or so, there was a good chance that the truck had sunk slightly, and that the already wet snow under the tires had likely melted even more. I hoped that the lockers were enough to get us the traction we needed to back out...

Read the full story and see all the photos at Snow, Sun, and Storms - Montana in May (part 2)

40710678100_18633be52f_h.jpg

turbodb

May 27, 2018.

Having met up with Monte and Mike the evening before, and having survived the downpour, we all set out - looking forward to our first day of exploring together. Little did we know what was in store - from water to snow, there were plenty of places we could not go.

But there were plenty we could, and it was amazing.

Read the whole story and see all the photos in And Then There Were Three - Montana in May (part 3)

27703864887_2c16eb253a_h.jpg

41672100435_21de418289_h.jpg

42573646121_3f3b5bd2f8_h.jpg

turbodb

May 28, 2018.

... With a 270° view of the mountains around us, plenty of flat ground, and a warm breeze, there wasn't much more we could have asked for in a site... as we sat around relaxing and chatting, we nearly missed sunset - so wrapped up in our campfire discussions - but as the blues gave way to oranges and purples, we did grab our cameras to snap a few quick photos...

Read the entire story that led up to this moment and see all the photos in Our Longest Campfire - Montana in May (part 4)

27726668007_2b4aca6e20_h.jpg

41873875274_f459fa8a14_h.jpg

27726652037_799b339e2a_h.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior