Big White Truck Cross-Country - Atlantic Coast Edition

brycercampbell

Like I said before, I'm only in Charleston for a few days before I head back into the mountains. When we were on the parkway, most of it was green. I think I have a bit of time before I head up Thursday morning. For now, it's been great to stop back home. I forgot hiking boots, the poles for the tent awning, and there was a bit of mold on the piece that separates the mattress from the tent itself (so air can flow, ironically), and I definitely needed to vacuum. All stuff I normally would do on the road, but it's easier at home.84CC40CC-E6C9-43DE-9651-AB22DD9B4B96.JPG

Last edited:

brycercampbell

You know you're back in home country when you get to a Waffle House. Is your local WH in Charleston the same one which Stephen Colbert says was his?
No, that's on the south side of downtown. They are the best WH in Charleston tho. Mine is in Mount Pleasant SC, north side

brycercampbell

I just posted my review of the Jackery solar generator I've been using. If you'd like to hear my thoughts,

brycercampbell

Round 2!

I left Charleston Monday afternoon, a few days later than I anticipated. I planned on leaving on the 15th, but I got sick and the foliage forecast was delayed (so that actually worked out). But since I was in the mountains, it went exactly as expected.

I arrived just in time for the 6:50 sunset. These are all available as prints @ brycectravels.com

DSC_5967.jpgDSC_5952.jpgDSC_5984.jpgDSC_6004.jpgDSC_6013.jpgDSC_6020.jpg

And then there was Tuesday's sunrise.

DSC_6107 11.26.30 AM.jpgDSC_6125 11.26.30 AM.jpgDSC_6110 11.26.26 AM.jpgDSC_6122 11.26.30 AM.jpg

I spent Monday and Tuesday on the Parkway. It's hard to escape when there are views like those around every corner. I planned out what I was going to do when I left, and decided on doing Old Buzzards Highway to Max Patch on Wednesday. I would've liked to do Hurricane Creek, but as I'm traveling solo, I didn't want to risk getting stuck and that seems like a trail where that is a possibility.

brycercampbell

The following days were quite rough!

Something worth mentioning, camping isn't technically allowed on the Parkway. I've found that they're pretty lenient with the rules, as long as you don't make a mess (be respectful) and don't stay for more than a few nights. If you drive any given section at night, you're bound to see a few Sprinters, Rams, and 4 Wheel Campers at every other parking area.

Anyhow, Tuesday evening was fantastic. The sunset was gorgeous, and there was a gentlemen in a brand new Audi station wagon who had a sleeping setup in the back with his dog.

608FADD3-0509-4FFE-8726-5AB31739BE9C.JPG

As night fell, and I went to bed, I had backed the truck up to the ridge. This was a bad idea and is probably what did me in. Around midnight I woke up to howling 30 degree winds with a sore throat like I've never experienced. I started the truck and turned it around so that the wind was blowing over the tent. That's the biggest benefit to a clamshell RTT vs a popup. Like I've experienced camping in Oklahoma, you can point the truck into the wind and the tent is protected.

When I woke up, I was hacking and coughing non stop. I couldn't swallow, and my sinuses were destroyed. I suppose I was not over the previous cold entirely, and that little adventure on Tuesday night just made everything worse.

Alas, I went on. The plan was to hit Old Buzzards Hwy, then drive up to Max Patch for the sunset through the national forests. I did just that, with a few detours. On the way to OBH, I stopped at one of my favorite old logging roads for a few pics.

DSC_6219.jpgDSC_6220.jpg

After that, I headed back north on I40 to the start of OBH and drove it to competition. It's a fun route, for sure. Pretty mellow except for the one steep rock section. I had it all to myself except for one biker, so I went at my own (slow) pace. I had to back up only once, at the aforementioned rock section, I think because my Wildpeaks are getting a bit low on tread after 45,000 miles of driving on all different types of terrain. It hadn't rained in a bit, so there was no mud and the river crossings were more like streams.

DSC_6268.jpg
DSC_6322.jpg

From there, I drove up to the top of Longarm Mountain. I thought it was a firetower, it's actually a cell tower. I stopped and made lunch, took some cold medicine, and then headed to Max Patch.

DSC_6303.jpgDSC_6295.jpg

Earlier this year, USFS closed Max Patch to camping. Since then, it's completely changed. Every time I'd been up there in the past, there was trash, toilet paper, feces, and some new trail that people had made by trampling wherever they pleased. Unfortunately that is something I've seen everywhere I've travelled. I have not travelled to a single place, no matter how remote, that did not have some piece of human waste (trash or otherwise) scattered about.

But, with regards to Max Patch, the camping ban did so much good. The grass is growing back, there's no trash, and there's far fewer people. I was pleasantly surprised.

IMG_3930.JPG65646470269__43C46FEE-ED9F-4CC9-82F3-7B7CF261F2BC.JPG

After the sunset, I drove down into the national forest to spend the night.

IMG_3937.JPG

brycercampbell

The next morning, I headed into Smokey Mountains NP. A strange looking Bigfoot and disappointed horses, but gorgeous foliage.

IMG_3940.JPGIMG_3944.JPG

After that, it was a quick 4hr drive home. And I think that wraps up this version of Big White Truck.

After spending the last 7 months traveling around the country, and many nights in in the cab sleeping across the bench seat, I think I'm ready to move on from a rooftop tent. It's served it's purpose. I think the cost is down to $10/$15 per night, and it opened my eyes to quite a bit. But I have definitely found myself wishing for more interior space, especially somewhere to cook in poor weather.

I do love Charleston, and if I'm going to live out of this truck for half the year when I am in South Carolina, I absolutely need hard sides. I'm keeping watch for an older slide in camper.

In the meantime, I've got tons of pictures to edit and reviews to write. The Wildpeaks have been amazing in all terrain (except stoplights in heavy rain!), the Garmin Inreach has become something I'll never travel without, the Bilstein 6112s/5160s have performed flawlessly for close to 100,000 miles, and so on. I'll post those reviews on my website, brycectravels.com, and in the reviews section when they're finished. Thanks for joining me, and thanks for reading.

DSC_4583.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz