Biggest tires on e350 with fender/bumper trimming?

deezdrama

Adventurer
Wondering whats the biggest tires I can put on my 02 e350 SD with stock suspension and willing to remove a bit from the fenders and front bumper?

Anyone done this?
Thanks

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
a4PIjji.jpg

LOL

deezdrama

Adventurer
Was hoping to get 285/75s to work somehow. Willing to trim fender and reshape bumper corners. What area would be most prone to rubbing...fender?

Just wondered if it was at all possible with cutting. Im a welder so could weld in some support patches if fenders needed it from alot of the material being removed and plan on removing bumper soon anyway to weld some brush bars on so could trim it then.

It's mostly fenders, and then there's the inside suspension where it'll rub the radius arm.

Pick the tires ya want and cut til they don't rub anymore.

hogasm

Observer
97 E350 7.3d
I ran 33-12.50-16.5" for 500,000 miles with minor rubbing during back up/turn situations

At 500,000 miles installed 305-70-16" with new 880's springs....cut rear of fender but did not need to

Attachments

• blackvanside.jpg
    blackvanside.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 80

deezdrama

Adventurer
Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I have been using 265 / 75 - 16 BFG A/T for years. They rub at full lock ever so slightly, but with a hammer the pinch weld can be knocked out of the way.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Now that looks sweet! Do you have a lift as well? How much cutting was involved?

The guys on ford truck forum are basically saying I cant go over 265/75 16 and if i do its dangerous.
Was going to post pics from here as proof that lots of people have went bigger but dont want to start a forum war lol.

Deezdrama, Here is the question you posted on the other forum, "Whats the biggest size tires I can run with on my STOCK suspension e350 SD with fender/bumper trimming? Anyone done this?" Myself and others answered your question accurately. Most said 265/75R16's because that is about the biggest you can go without doing more than "fender/bumper trimming", assuming you still want to be abled to turn stop to stop and go over speedbumps. That is why WeldTec accurately told you the same answer above. 285/75/16's rub on a regular Quigley 4x4. Trimming front fenders from about 1/2" in front of bottom fender bolt up to a point a few inches lower than the first inner fender bolt will gain you a small amount of clearance at rear of front tire. The bumper needs to be trimmed or spaced forward. You will have to use rear wheel spacers for the rears or offset wheels for 265 and up or your rear inner sidewells will rub with any load on or over bumps. Trimming is fine but you could gain more clearance in far less time with new 1 and 1/2" coils, extended radius arms, a 1" body lift, etc. If you want the best drivability and more suspension travel with 285's, you will have to go further with bent I-beam kit like WeldTec, and others offer. I personally think Ford vans look best on 35's, but the answer to your question is NOBODY is successfully running anything larger than a 265 on a completely stock van. image.jpg Here is a pic of another place even 265's will rub on your van. Small lower oval, outlined with blue marker for clarity, is actual rub mark on drivers side floor. It is right below brake pedal. Larger outlined oval is amount that needs to be cut and re-welded for sharp left turn clearance.
Trim away all you want, but you might reconsider complaining when intelligent van builders take time out of their day to answer your questions. Cheers!

deezdrama

Adventurer
Deezdrama, Here is the question you posted on the other forum, "Whats the biggest size tires I can run with on my STOCK suspension e350 SD with fender/bumper trimming? Anyone done this?" Myself and others answered your question accurately. Most said 265/75R16's because that is about the biggest you can go without doing more than "fender/bumper trimming", assuming you still want to be abled to turn stop to stop and go over speedbumps. That is why WeldTec accurately told you the same answer above. 285/75/16's rub on a regular Quigley 4x4. Trimming front fenders from about 1/2" in front of bottom fender bolt up to a point a few inches lower than the first inner fender bolt will gain you a small amount of clearance at rear of front tire. The bumper needs to be trimmed or spaced forward. You will have to use rear wheel spacers for the rears or offset wheels for 265 and up or your rear inner sidewells will rub with any load on or over bumps. Trimming is fine but you could gain more clearance in far less time with new 1 and 1/2" coils, extended radius arms, a 1" body lift, etc. If you want the best drivability and more suspension travel with 285's, you will have to go further with bent I-beam kit like WeldTec, and others offer. I personally think Ford vans look best on 35's, but the answer to your question is NOBODY is successfully running anything larger than a 265 on a completely stock van. View attachment 362077 Here is a pic of another place even 265's will rub on your van. Small lower oval, outlined with blue marker for clarity, is actual rub mark on drivers side floor. It is right below brake pedal. Larger outlined oval is amount that needs to be cut and re-welded for sharp left turn clearance.
Trim away all you want, but you might reconsider complaining when intelligent van builders take time out of their day to answer your questions. Cheers!

Thanks for the clarification and taking time to post the pic. I wasnt complaining, I was just confused as to why it seemed like I was getting conflicting answers to the same question. Ill admit.... Im brand spanking new to the van scene....learning as I move ahead with my van conversion. Ive been wrenching on vehicles since I was old enough to drive but also will admit I have little experience with suspension related modifications. I wasnt teying to call anyone out on giving the wrong info, just trying to make sure I know what I need to know before choosing tires.
I originally planned on going the 5" lift route but would have to wait untill tax time to do this and even then....I still really cant afford to drop several grand on a lift and then turn around and need new tires.
Being a welder/fabricator I figured I could save some money by trimming...even if it was somewhat extreme but if im still going to run into issues then maybe ill hold off for a while. The 2" leveling kit seems like an option but read it throws camber off.

I appreciate the input from everybody!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior