Bike rack solution for Northstar TC800 with wrap around bumper

Shake-n-bake

I have a Thule T2 bike rack but unfortunately with the Northstar on our GMC 2500HD, it would not fit. Having had many bike racks over the years, I really like the hitch mount and needed to find a solution for our upcoming trip to SW Utah for carrying the Mtn bikes. I wanted a rack that would swing away from the camper to allow easy access and still be a tray mount for easy on/off access of the bikes. I settled on the Rockymounts Backstage 2. It fits a 2" receiver and swings and locks in place. They are apparently in high demand and have been backordered from a few suppliers. I found ours on Amazon. Here is a video review of the assembly and bikes loaded. I'll upload another with it on the back of the camper.

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 11.55.16 AM.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/TYCDVqc_RSE[/video]

sunvalleylaw

Interesting. I am figuring all this stuff out with my new to me Northstar 800, but an old 90's one, and it does not have the wraparound stuff. It will just stick out the back of the 6.5' bed a bit (Dodge Ram diesel). Will have to play around with this idea to see if I can somehow make the shorter extension work, or if I will need to do it your way. Probably will. The other option I was considering, as we also will sometimes be towing a ski boat, was to put bikes up front if I was towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94