Bike racks

frobuster

Observer
Why does everyone have the flip down style bike rack -VS- the swing away type? I have a 5th gen 4Runner, and 4 bikes to carry, It seems to me that the swing away would give you actual unobstructed access to the cargo area. Anyone have the flip down style clue me in? Also, I will need to use my hitch to tow our trailer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stepsride

I bought this exact one. It is not the off the shelf one watch the video and you will see what I mean. It clears my rear spare tire.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The reverse rise 1UP @Stepsride is talking about can give you clearance for a swing-out but IMO defeats one of the major benefits of a 1UP - the departure angle. The normal 1UP steps each bike up so you're less likely to drag and grind that 4 or 5 feet of overhanging bikes and rack. Running a 1UP front rack in the back hangs pretty low even with just one bike.

DaveInDenver

What I mean is, this is the normal configuration. This is a 4 tray rack with 3 bikes on it. The whole trend is up for clearance.

Flipping the side plates on the hitch bar solves the clearance for a single bike with introduces a hang up point. Not to mention if you add trays you'll be right back to not being able to open a swing out.

Last edited:

Stepsride

DaveinDenver is right it rides low. I have a lift on 37 inch tires so it rides ok for me. I should have mentioned that. Either way I really like the the 1uo racks

DaveInDenver

1UP is all the rage these days.
They ARE everywhere! We have two, neighbor across street has one, three doors down, too. I get it though, they work well, made in Wisconsin, the design is flexible and you can repair or upgrade one made in 2001 just the same as one made in 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94