Bikes on rear ladder...

bhambaker

Hello,

Any Mountain Bikers out there with an Enduro or DH rig who hang their bikes on the rear ladder of the TC?

Due to suspension frame design, the standard bike rack won't work for this purpose... need something that can hang the bikes by the front wheel. Thanks

Been thinking about that myself but I don’t trust my ladder. I’m going to fab up a custom swing-away mount for a hitch carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bhambaker

I figure the ladder easily holds my weight climbing up on the roof, so I'm not too fussed about it. I've also got a boat rack up on the roof that I may put a safety line onto the bike rack. So far the best integration w market solutions is to use a Recon Rack style wheel holder and a bracket fabricated to the ladder. Will post photos once I"ve got something...

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I figure the ladder easily holds my weight climbing up on the roof, so I'm not too fussed about it. I've also got a boat rack up on the roof that I may put a safety line onto the bike rack. So far the best integration w market solutions is to use a Recon Rack style wheel holder and a bracket fabricated to the ladder. Will post photos once I"ve got something...
Keep in mind you are only accounting for static weight. Dynamic weight is a completely different thing to account for while the vehicle is moving. There are forces that twist and go side to side while traveling down the road that can stress the ladder in ways not intended. I'm not saying it can't be done but make sure the ladder can handle those forces.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yep. That. Climbing my ladder is a little sketchy. It holds but definitely flexes and I would worry about dynamic loads. Maybe I’m just paranoid but loosing a full suspension bike on the road would suck.
The safety line would make me feel better.

I’m going with a swing away that can double As a bbq table/workbench when not carrying bikes. Lots of options once I get the pivot mounted to the camper number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bhambaker

Good points Pic4God... hadn't contemplated that. That being said; the camper came w (and I've seen many cruising down the road) w bikes hanging from the inexpensive ladder rack factory bike racks. BUT loosing the family's bikes while cruising down the road would be a horrible discovery at the campground... damn bikes cost as much as my camper rig; but SOOOOO much fun.
I came across LoloRacks last night. Might be a potential w some figuring. Part of my desire is to get the bikes off my front hitch rack; as for theft security it doesn't offer the best. One aspect of the long wheel base vans that the TC just can't overcome... but tradeoffs right?

tatanka48

ponder installing a front receiver hitch and using a 2" hitch mounted carrier on the front of the truck

T

bhambaker

My TC doesn't have a bumper; thinking about fabricating one or buying one from Northern Lite.... I currently mount my Thule trough on the front hitch. That works well; but I'd like them on the back for security while camping.

Attached to this is a response from LoloRacks w some ladders w their product on it. Think I'm gonna give it a go...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180923-194043.png
    Screenshot_20180923-194043.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20180925-100524.png
    Screenshot_20180925-100524.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 120

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
Beef up your ladder and go with the Lolo bar racks, they are awesome. We use them exclusively for interior and exterior bike racks, very easy to adapt them to existing structures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

sertguy

Observer
I realize this isn't a ladder mount, but the front hitch is so convent.

Attachments

• IMG_7546.JPG
    IMG_7546.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 37

moorejames

Full Time RVer
I used to carry a bike on a ladder rack on the back of my Class C. I used extra straps to limit side to side movement. It worked fine, but I did have to keep an eye on the screws holding the ladder to the rig. They had a tendency to work themselves loose when the bike was mounted. Got rid of the bike and the screws haven't come loose since....

Mfitz

Good points Pic4God... hadn't contemplated that. That being said; the camper came w (and I've seen many cruising down the road) w bikes hanging from the inexpensive ladder rack factory bike racks. BUT loosing the family's bikes while cruising down the road would be a horrible discovery at the campground... damn bikes cost as much as my camper rig; but SOOOOO much fun.
I came across LoloRacks last night. Might be a potential w some figuring. Part of my desire is to get the bikes off my front hitch rack; as for theft security it doesn't offer the best. One aspect of the long wheel base vans that the TC just can't overcome... but tradeoffs right?
Another alternative to the lolo rack:

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

Coscienceguy

Observer
I have ran 2 full suspension trail bikes on the simple ladder bike rack from camping world. We had both bikes mounted and locked with 2 cable locks for our entire 5,000 mile road trip to the northwest and canada back in 2016. The rack did great, I added extra padding where the bikes may have rubbed or contacted each other, and they were safe and secure the entire trip, not one single issue. Hopefully that helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles