Bill's Build - 2018 F-250 Overloader Extraordinaire

pwm

UPDATE:

Ordered:
Drop slide for the fridge: https://clearviewmirrorsusa.com/travel-storage/clearview-easy-slide/
National Luna 90L Twin

Finishing research on:
Overall dimensioning. Specifically the vertical dimensions for the stacking of the area at the front of the bed. It looks like this water tank ( https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...-runner-universal-water-tank-67l-17-7gal.html ) will work end-to-end with an 8D sized battery. This will allow me JUST enough room to fit a dual 30lb vertical propane rack. If I need to reclaim more vertical space, i can downsize to dual 20lb. the potential complication is that the platform height needs to be at least 12" in order for the fridge drop-slide to work without the platform being slid out. Otherwise the fridge will just drop onto the tailgate. I'm down to about 1.5" of vertical wiggle room, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I can get it properly mocked up.

Solar Panel: I'm trying to figure out how flexible these flexible solar panels really are. I've got a Thule Flow 606 box that it would be great to put a flexible solar panel on top of, but there's some contours on the roof that are probably a bit too pronounced for the panel to match. Plan B is just finding a rigid panel that can be mounted on the cross bars next to the Flow 606. On 60" bars I can fit a 25" wide panel. This would at least give us some staying power when we're parked, and on first look there seem to be some good 100W options that would fit. If I want to go up to the Yakima 70" bars, I can fit some other higher output options, but I don't think I'm going to draw enough to need it.

More to come later.
-bill

pwm

So, the tent is mounted on a Eezi-awn K9 platform and I’m having some custom brackets made for the Manta awning to make sure it fits where it needs to clear both the back door, and not be too high for the crank to fit in the tent. Shop also made me a 13” extension for the tent crank to clear the awning, so I can actually overnight now.

I have learned that the hardware eezi-awn sends is pretty weak, that the front runner platform has a raised edge that makes for poor tent mounting, that I’m going to have to re-mount my water and battery to allow for some insulation because of my ski bumming needs, and that I’m really glad I’m taking it a little slower than planned.

The Trail Kitchens stuff is well built, with the exception of some weird stuff with the Clean Machine. I’m going to reserve judgement until I get further with customer service, but I think I just got a unit that wasn’t fully completed. I’ll update as I learn on that. The camp kitchen and the chuck box are well built and sturdy.

Most importantly, I’m getting to go camp with some friends this weekend, so it’ll be the first shakedown of any gear. I’m drastically underprepared and it will definitely be cold and pouring rain most of Saturday, but it’s only a few miles away, so who cares. The majority of my stuff that’s able to be used is kitchen related, so I’ll do a couple meals to pitch in, and probably be mostly useless otherwise. Sounds like fun to me.

Don’t forget to go have fun!

-bill

pwm

1. Summer Mode - after removing the 35s. Mickey Thompsons suck for this application. The set I had wore unevenly, were loud AF and still weren't particularly helpful compared to the stock tires when off road. Mostly I'm just on soft roads/gravel so I have no need to compromise my highway comfort. If I go back to big meats I'll be going Duratrac. Also have since removed the leveling kit and replaced the Fox 2.0s with the right height for stock application.
IMG_2200.JPG
2. Winter mode. The awning is off because I don't need to wear it out with the elements. 18" Lariat wheels with Nokian Hakka LT studs
IMG_2520.JPG
3.extendobed with 2x 20lb propane mounted and Easy Slide installed with the handle down for easier use of the truck bed. Bad part of this setup is that I lose a lot of day to day usability in order to have all that platform space. Another drawback is the angle of the topper. I lose a lot of space around the edge of the platform. if this is going to be a long term setup that I keep, I'll be swapping the topper out for a commercial option painted to match the truck so it has more vertical walls and encroaches less. National Luna power readout and on/off switch on the left, fire extinguisher on the right.
IMG_2524.JPG
4.Extendobed extended, but not quite all the way. TONS of space under the platform for anything that packs flat. The mesh sides let me put tie-downs where ever I need, and the fold down sides make for easy access.
IMG_2532.JPG
5.Driver side of the extendobed with a lockbox.
IMG_2536.JPG
6.mounted extinguisher
IMG_2527.JPG
7.battery controller/display.
IMG_2526.JPG
8.water tank on the left, battery and sine wave inverter on the left. flex conduit for the electrical that'll be run to the Extendobed platform so I have 12v and 110 on the platform. The extendobed goes right over the top of the install.
IMG_2529.JPG
9.water spigot in the rear driver wheel well. Will probably also run a propane quick disconnect to this location.
IMG_2537.JPG

Grassland

The tires you had picked look like super aggressive MTs. (the mickey thompsons)
Why not go with a Toyo AT2 xtreme, or BFG KO2, or Duratrac, or any other number of all terrains? They would probably tickle your fancy more. Would like to see the truck with the awning deployed next time you get around to using it and taking pics.
Nice truck.

pwm

The tires you had picked look like super aggressive MTs. (the mickey thompsons)
Why not go with a Toyo AT2 xtreme, or BFG KO2, or Duratrac, or any other number of all terrains? They would probably tickle your fancy more. Would like to see the truck with the awning deployed next time you get around to using it and taking pics.
Nice truck.
honestly, because I just bought them at the advice of my shop. I was overzealous about what I wanted, and didn't realize exactly how much of a compromise those ATZs would be everywhere that wasn't offroad. KO2 or Duratrac will be the next attempt for sure.

I'll see if I can dig up a deployed awning pic when I get home.

Sempertoy

Explorer
are you concerned with the water and future propane fitting being torn off in that location? seems vulnerable to rocks etc there..

pwm

Haven’t had any problems so far. The pic doesn’t really give a good view of the spigot in relation to the tire. There isn’t really a direct angle from the tire tread to the spigot. It’s tucked back on the frame and a good bit of the fender liner provides protection. It’d have to bounce around a lot to strike the water spigot and that’s the goal for future propane quick disconnect as well.
-bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior