Black Series HQ Tips, Tricks, and Learning.....

HQ21

I recently purchased an HQ21 and during a a storm a few days ago I noticed that my rear roof vent is leaking. Doesn't seem to be coming from the hatch seal. It appears to be coming through the roof and then out around the trim piece that surrounds the vent. I noticed some gaps in the lap sealant around the hinges and sealed those areas but I still have a leak. Is anyone aware of any common roof leak problems with BS HQ campers and how to correct them? Any guidance would be appreciated.

haqi

I recently purchased an HQ21 and during a a storm a few days ago I noticed that my rear roof vent is leaking. Doesn't seem to be coming from the hatch seal. It appears to be coming through the roof and then out around the trim piece that surrounds the vent. I noticed some gaps in the lap sealant around the hinges and sealed those areas but I still have a leak. Is anyone aware of any common roof leak problems with BS HQ campers and how to correct them? Any guidance would be appreciated.
I recommend you to join Black Series owners Facebook page. There are lots of threads on this. https://www.facebook.com/groups/597325343973738/?ref=share

Leaking skylights in Black Series caravans are unfortunately very common. My 2021 HQ19 skylight leaked profusely during the first rain after we took possession in June. There are numerous instances on the Black Series Facebook group of leaking skylights; I believe these were poorly installed and sealed by the manufacturer.

In my case, no amount of additional Dicor sealant would stop the leaking, although I was able to minimize it. Ultimately, I worked back directly with Black Series USA warranty service, and had the skylight assembly completely replaced by a local trustworthy RV repair shop. I would urge you to contact Black Series USA, as they seem to have improved their warranty service in the last 6 months.

HQ21

Leaking skylights in Black Series caravans are unfortunately very common. My 2021 HQ19 skylight leaked profusely during the first rain after we took possession in June. There are numerous instances on the Black Series Facebook group of leaking skylights; I believe these were poorly installed and sealed by the manufacturer.

In my case, no amount of additional Dicor sealant would stop the leaking, although I was able to minimize it. Ultimately, I worked back directly with Black Series USA warranty service, and had the skylight assembly completely replaced by a local trustworthy RV repair shop. I would urge you to contact Black Series USA, as they seem to have improved their warranty service in the last 6 months.

Appreciate the feedback. Was hoping this was something I could correct myself but I think you are right. Likely the entire skylight will need to be replaced. Luckily I am in SoCal and can easily take the camper to BS US. I have dealt with them for a few other issues and, while they have been a bit slow, they have been helpful.

swankyabe

Hi all! Just a quick update. Got the hitch draw bar fixed and the new ball drop built and attached to the frame and everything is good with the world again. Remember, I had the drop box built so I could use my McHitch without interference. Since the install, we've made two trips and towing at highway speeds fully loaded is no problem. I might even let my wife drive...not! Hahaha

Food for thought here if you are having questions or doubts about towing one of these trailers. Anti sway and weight distribution devices were around long before these trailers hit the road and for good reason. Trailers can be a bear to tow and sometimes you need a little help and in this case a little help goes a long way.

Also, I know these trailers get a bad rap for how they tow but everything is a compromise in life. A trailer that is this short (mine is HQ12) and weighs this much and stands this tall is just not going to tow like your average RV and that is OK. The magic happens when you turn off the pavement and you do not have to stop or turn around because you do not have clearance or the suspension to handle what is coming your way.

Anyway, I hope those of you looking for sway control solutions for your HQ Caravan find this post and information useful. Hit me up if you'd like to discuss what I did and how and what I'd do differently if I had to do it again. Thanks, N

View attachment 681166
Hello,

Thought I would add in my experience on this thread here. I am a '19 HQ 12 owner in Colorado pulling w a 2008 Toy Tundra 4.7 Liter, no tow package. McHitch & Equalizer weight distro & sway control (previously sway controlled with this exact setup, using a single arm brake).

Originally it came with the same setup you have here, which worked great... until... After about 1 yr of usage I noticed sway being more introduced in our drive until, the friction bar actually bent. Pins stayed in tact, weld points were fine, but at some point that brake gets compromised by bending and causing it to stick and actually create more sway, from what I experienced. Of course this happened at the start of a tail end trip back from Utah, had to stay under 45 the whole way.

After that scare (yes it happened mid drive), I had enough and researched weight distro systems and other anti-sway systems. I eventually went to the heavy duty equalizer setup and the difference was night and day. Also no fear of this system bending because it is solid steel 2 ways, instead of the single. Highly recommend eventually getting to that system, especially if planning a long trip. Although the previous system did work for me, at least you know there is light at the end of the tunnel if you eventually experience what I did.

Thanks for this conversation, I think it is much needed info with what people have experienced, and will post some pics soon.

elindley01

Also looking if anyone has had success with finding a cover for an '19 HQ12?

If I hear anything on other models will post it here @eightbitreaper

I recently purchased this one from Amazon for my 2019 HQ12. It’s a little baggy in some spots, but it fits the complete rig from the McHitch to the spares, plus the cinching straps allow you to tighten it really well. When it’s put on properly it almost looks fitted for the HQ12. No issues with wind or rain so far (not much to speak of in AZ, though), but it’s only been on for a month or so. I’m really happy with the quality overall and mainly wanted it for UV protection in my semi-covered parking spot.

Hope this helps!

gendlert

I recently purchased this one from Amazon for my 2019 HQ12. It’s a little baggy in some spots, but it fits the complete rig from the McHitch to the spares, plus the cinching straps allow you to tighten it really well. When it’s put on properly it almost looks fitted for the HQ12. No issues with wind or rain so far (not much to speak of in AZ, though), but it’s only been on for a month or so. I’m really happy with the quality overall and mainly wanted it for UV protection in my semi-covered parking spot.

Hope this helps!

Do you mind calling the product out by name? That link isn't working for me. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

elindley01

Do you mind calling the product out by name? That link isn't working for me. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Sure thing. Sorry about that.

This is how it’s listed on Amazon: FRUNO 300D Travel Trailer RV Cover 17'5"-20' Windproof & Anti-UV Camper Cover for Winter Snow with Jack Cover and 4 Tire Covers

Here’s a different link too:

Farpolemiddle

What is the wheel pattern on the HQ12? 6x5.5? I am asking because I have a tacoma and if I could save some weight buy skipping the dual spares and carry one along with a patch kit that would be nice.

Namrek

Hello all! If this topic has been covered would be so kind as to share the link or post?

I am working on replacing the AGM batteries in my HQ12 with LIFEPO4 batteries as well as the solar charger with a Renogy DCCC50S DC DC + MPPT and there is zero room to work and I cannot figure out how to just remove the entire bench from the wall. Does anyone have any advice or instructions?

Thanks in advance!

BuckinghamBuilt

Hello all! If this topic has been covered would be so kind as to share the link or post?

I am working on replacing the AGM batteries in my HQ12 with LIFEPO4 batteries as well as the solar charger with a Renogy DCCC50S DC DC + MPPT and there is zero room to work and I cannot figure out how to just remove the entire bench from the wall. Does anyone have any advice or instructions?

Thanks in advance!

I have a HQ15 and it might be similar but have you already removed the wood braces? Not sure if you're a member by the BS FB group has great information. https://www.facebook.com/groups/597325343973738/posts/1301071256932473/

Ezotom

For those of you who have updated the MPPT charge controller to the Victron 100/30, what did you do about the ground? When removing the stock controller from my HQ12 I noticed it was not connected to ground. I noticed the Aims inverter has a ground wire and appears to be grounded to chassis. I’m trying to upgrade to Battle Born Lithium and in the process picked up a new Victron MPPT and battery monitor.

Ezotom

Thanks in advance!

Any luck figuring this out? How much capacity did you end up getting? It's a tight space and hard to cram in more... I was able to get a Battle Born Battery GC3 in there (270Ah) without any cutting. Now I'm just trying to figure out wiring and trying to figure out how to move/fit the switches / bus bar - going to try without removing the bench or cutting anything but not sure how successful I'll be. I also took out the little fan and plugged the holes with spray foam insulation.

I converted my 2021 HQ19 to Lithium and used Victron components (4-100 Ah B10012's, Victron MPPT 150/45 controller, BMV-712 battery monitor, etc). For my charge controller, there is a screw on the side of the base which you connect the ground to. I replaced most all the factory wiring in my battery area during the re-fit, and found one factory wire which was connected inside the wall to the Al frame structure of the trailer. I attached this to the MPPT case, as well as the other components which called for a chassis ground. Everything has been running fine for a year now.

I know my OEM solar PWM cheapie controller had no ground either, so it isn't mandatory, but if you're upgrading I think it's worth connecting to a chassis ground. I believe the solar panels themselves are grounded via their mount to the roof, and in my case any other components (25 A DC-DC charger) got grounded if they called for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online