Blank white retirement canvas.. now what?

Bhodie

Long time lurker, first real post...

With retirement around the corner, I wanted to get a jump on this while I am still working and have the income flowing! I traded in my 2016 Ram 4x4 1500 quad cab for the new 2019 same model. Figuring this was probably my "last truck" I went up a level from the Tradesman to the Long Horn with the 25Z package which incudes the offroad package, towing package and some appearance stuff. It is a major upgrade from the 2016 Tradesman and include E-Locker rear, skid plates all over, full sized spare (Falken LT275/65R 18C's) 3.92 rear etc.

I live in Central Florida, have a boat, will never get in deep mud (except by accident) dont rock climb etc. Having lurked here for a while it is really easy to get excited about all kinds of gear and head to Moab or something, but being realistic.. I think 89% road, 10% double track type stuff and 1% getting off the beaten path is probably much more realistic. I load up my mountain bikes, drive to some cool terrain, and try not to kill myself riding around.

When I retire, would like to head out "around the US" trip and visit some of the places you all post with such great pics, as well as visit old friends on the west coast etc. and try not to get in over my head.

My 2016 had a decked drawer system (which i love and have ordered a new one for the new truck) and a cab high ARE cap. And now my dilemma.. the cab high cap with the drawers was pretty tight on head room, so I really dont want to repeat that.. If I go with a rack with RTT, there is really no way to really "stealth" sleep when driving the longer highway trips.. the midrise caps just look sort of cludgy.. especially the ARE which has a big hump in the roof, and if you put a rack on top, you need a 6' ladder to get to anything you put up there. Not sure what gas penalty it has either.

I need a solution that is comfortable for an old guy to crawl into and get some rest without resorting to hotels when on the road. Off road, I can sleep in the back, or I have an OZR4 that is easy to set up an comfortable, but again not a usual site in a freeway rest stop :)

Any other ideas from all y'all with more experience? Also looking for what you might recommend for other gear.. for example, I dont think a winch is probably necessary as I dont think I will get in a spot that needs it.. but am open to any/all suggestions.

Thanks for making it to the bottom, looking forward to your suggestions.

IMG_1674.JPG

Explorerinil

Observer
Congratulations on your retirement and new truck! I have an are cap, a decked and sleep in the bed of my truck, so I know the issues you have, plus getting gear off the top of a topper can be a pain in the ass. I would say an AT habitat (modern version of a flip pack) would be a good option. Or you can get an ARE overland topper, out your gear on the yakama rack via a rocket box or skybox and get a truck Bedz air mattress, just don’t sit up to fast.

I got an ARE topper, decked system and sleep on a truck bedz air mattress, it’s not bad and it’s pretty stealth... and not the most expensive set up.

Bhodie

I looked at the Habitat idea, but again, it is not stealthy and looks like an rtt.. I do have a roof box, but on a mid rise, I’m afraid I’ll forget it is up there and will rip it off going thru the drive thru for coffee ?. But I may have to bite the bullet on the mid rise cap. Anyone know if a mid rise cap kills your gas mileage? The new RAMs seem to be thirstier.. or it is just slower breaking in..

Thanks

driller

old soul wanderer
the nice part about the habitat is you can sleep inside without have to open the top. I stealth mode when i'm blasting cross country. I have a platform drawer and storage setup in mine and it is 10" tall. I throw an air mattress down and climb in.

Attachments

• 20181210_130019.jpg
    20181210_130019.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 148

XJINTX

Explorer
Congrats on retirement welcome to the ROF's (search on here) I'm old too ;) I have camped my entire life in multiple conditions (retired USMC too) Did the primitive hike in, tent trailer, pull behind and 5th wheel too. In 2015 after Expo West I purchased my Four Wheel Camper. Let me tell you that the popup has changed everything. I have comfort as well as practicality and big plus my wife loves it. I still tent camp (OZ) in my Tacoma but usually just myself and my dog... not so often with wife. We have traveled all over from tourist type stuff to some pretty tough primitive. When we want tougher stuff and check out local trails in an area we can also flat tow our Cherokee. I am sure there are some popup owners in your locale please check them out. We love just adding food and clothing and taking off on little or short notice. Until I'm old and feeble ;) I'll stay with this setup... I will admit we have plans for a Class "C" down the road for real comfort and family visit trips.

Bhodie

Not quite a ROF yet.. I’m a PROF. ( pre- retired). I’m 67, and want to get everything set and paid for while I still have income, the pull the plug 2020.. those FWC units are beautiful.. and spendy. ?. In my youth I had a 3/4T 72 Chevy with full cabover and spent a ton of time on the coast from LA to Portland.. loved it.

My Ram is a half ton, and right now I am getting ready to put in my Decked drawers, the decide between a mid high topper in fiberglass or metal, and either with the full rear door or leave the tailgate and get a half door.

Full rear door makes it easy in and out.. metal makes opening drawers easier and with a white truck with metal “utility” cap, I am almost invisible in terms of stealth.. heck.. throw a Joe’s Electrical magnetic sign on the door and I could pull over just about anywhere and catch some zzz! And some of the metal ones will support an RTT if it is a straight off road adventure..

Thanks for the response.. will add pics as I go..

llamalander

While the Decked system is great, if you have a topper, you may not need something so weatherproof or the full width of your bed. If you can sleep on top of your drawer and still swing your feet down to the floor and sit up, you could be pretty comfortable in a tall shell. You can throw a bike in too if you don't want to leave it outside or on your roof. I use my tailgate to access most things on top of my shell, and a folding step stool to get to the tailgate. Having pulled the back seats out, I have lots of storage besides the shell, so not much goes on the roof anyway.
In my experience, a shell can improve your mileage, close to the same profile pushing air but far less turbulence than above an open bed. The few hundred pounds it adds didn't make a difference to my V6. Not super fancy, but pretty stealthy, flexible and inexpensive.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I guess I fall into the ROF category. While I've done a bit of it all regarding camping and camping rigs, the handful of times my son and I camped out of the back of our truck/shell combo I was always left wanting more. Whether we were camping during deer season in southern Missouri or playing around in the Rockies it just seemed the shell was too cold, too noisy, too small when weather got bad or always messy or covered in gravel dust. Not to say we didn't have great adventures or memories, it just seemed I was ready to move on to something else after each of those misadventures.
Not to say if the need or oppertunity arises I won't throw my gear in the back of my truck and head out for an adventure, I'm just in the ROF comfort zone right now......safe travels and enjoy your new set-up!

Bhodie

Well, the Decked drawers showed up and went in with no problems. They have improved them over the set I got for my 2016. The drawer stiffening rails are preinstalled, it was easier getting the rollers installed...etc. very smooth.

I found a set of Thule adjustable racks on CL for $200, so if I go a different direction later, no biggie. I trimmed the bottom of the stanchions to let me lower the rack and clear the Decked drawers. I have a CVT awning that mounts to the top of the rack, and mounted the roof box. My Oztent will ride up there for now.

There are no mid rise toppers for the new style Ram yet, so will roll with this for now.. heck, maybe this works well enough that I can find a cheap RTT and just go that way.. and skip the cap..

814CCE06-A4FE-4C67-9311-75423EF967A1.jpeg

Explorerinil

Observer
Nice! Good to hear they improved the decked system,not that it was bad it was just a bit of a pain to get together. Nice set up, I think you’ll be happy with that.

Bhodie

Well, A.R.E finally released the new 2019 MX shell.. about 5 1/2 inches of rise over the cab high topper.

I ordered with front slider, “Windoors” with sliders for both side, carpet and rails for roof rack.. Damn, they have not gotten cheaper at $2500 with tax and install, but calling around to a dozen different shops saved me $500! (Average.. one of the places wanted $3300 ?) so if you are considering one it might pay to drive a little to get the best price. Still way cheaper than a Habitat or other option, and will probably meet my needs.

5 week average delivery, will get pics once installed.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice truck. I like the Gen 5 Ram's... and while I love my Gen 4, I think one of these is in my future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles