Blitz Metal Can Replacement Gasket

GeoRoss

Adventurer
I was given a never used Blitz Metal Gas Can. Other than dusty it is in excellent shape. However, the gasket is cracked and weathered. I have found this gasket online for $0.95. I would rather not pay 9 times that in shipping. Does anyone have an idea where I might find one in S. AZ or Phoenix?

Thanks,

Ross

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Can't say for sure, but take it down to Merle's Auto Supply or one of the Off-road shops. They may have them. I should think they are a pretty common item...
HTH :)
Ed

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Replace the Blitz.

NEVER was able to get that brand to seal. Leaked the day I bought it.. Exchanged it the next day. That one leaked as well.

Get a Scepter or a Wedco NATO can. I have 4 Wedco's One leaks because it took a hit on the cap. The other three never leak. Bought all but one as used surplus. Bought mine at the local Army Navy. You can get them here http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/C...409f96972273f428d32820679/Product/View/131901 and here is the spouts http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/C...409f96972273f428d32820679/Product/View/132401

GeoRoss

Adventurer
In my search for a new gasket, I have noticed alot of complaints about Blitz. I will say the can was free and will gladly replace it. I will need a second can and it will be a Sceptor. In the meantime I am trying to see if I can make use of this and not look a gift horse in the mouth, well at least not too closely. This is partly why I am looking for a local replacement for the gasket to avoid a $10 shipping fee, that is $10 bucks that could go to a new Sceptor. If the can with a new gasket is a problem, then I am out only a dollar.

From what I have seen, it is mostly problems with pouring. I will use a siphon (The one I got at last years Expo Rally). Thanks for the input and confirmation of what I have seen on the web.

Ross
Grim Reaper said:
Replace the Blitz.

NEVER was able to get that brand to seal. Leaked the day I bought it.. Exchanged it the next day. That one leaked as well.

Get a Scepter or a Wedco NATO can. I have 4 Wedco's One leaks because it took a hit on the cap. The other three never leak. Bought all but one as used surplus. Bought mine at the local Army Navy. You can get them here http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/C...409f96972273f428d32820679/Product/View/131901 and here is the spouts http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/C...409f96972273f428d32820679/Product/View/132401

gjackson

FRGS
I use my Blitz cans for waste oil. They work fine to take oil down to a disposal center. But they sure don't work for carrying fuel on an expedition!

Just my $0.02

cheers

rgsiii

Observer
You are wasting money locating the gasket. These cans are possibly the worst product made. The paint on mine pealed when exposed to gasoline, after a small overflow. :confused:

Now it is rusting where the paint pealed.

i guess i'm kind of resurrecting an older thread here, but i have to know...are these the blitz cans you have all encountered difficulties using?

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0043236.html

i have a pair of them, and other than the nozzle being incorrect for the unleaded fuel screen on the tundra (fixed w/an unleaded nozzle TIGd to the blitz nozzle), i have not had a problem with them leaking or degrading, and it cant possibly be because i treat them any differently than anyone else. i do use a wrench or whatever to tighten down the screw top, maybe thats why. the only leaking i ever had was spilling down the nozzle, can, and truck when i had to use them the first time with the leaded nozzle and the unleaded fuel screen...what a pain.

there is another style, i dont know if it's blitz or someone else, that uses a nato-style clamp seal. i have heard of these not sealing properly, and specifically got the blitz cans instead since they were less expensive and less prone to leaking.

since then, i got a bunch of surplus NATO cans...five bucks each...and a NATO nozzle (cold war remarketing, colorado springs), and those things are bombproof. several came loose in the bed during elephant hill, none leaked despite winding up sideways, upside down, etc...oops.

i guess my feeling is i'll see how my pair of blitz cans works out, and honestly if they degrade i'm just gonna rattlecan them. i wonder if it wasnt a bad run of paint or something?

-sean

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
devinsixtyseven said:
i guess i'm kind of resurrecting an older thread here, but i have to know...are these the blitz cans you have all encountered difficulties using?

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0043236.html

i have a pair of them, and other than the nozzle being incorrect for the unleaded fuel screen on the tundra (fixed w/an unleaded nozzle TIGd to the blitz nozzle), i have not had a problem with them leaking or degrading, and it cant possibly be because i treat them any differently than anyone else. i do use a wrench or whatever to tighten down the screw top, maybe thats why. the only leaking i ever had was spilling down the nozzle, can, and truck when i had to use them the first time with the leaded nozzle and the unleaded fuel screen...what a pain.

-sean

Yep those are the ones I had. I had them mounted on the spare tire rack of my K5. When the sun got on them they would expel fuel vapor. You couldn't drive with the back window down or the cab would fill with gas fumes. I tried them tight, tried double seals...always leaked.

yuck. ive always put them at the end of the bed, and they were in the shade, so i probably didnt notice. glad i have the nato cans.

-sean

Clutch

<---Pass
GeoRoss,

Since you live in Tucson too, Check out...(I am sure you already do)....Millers Surplus on 6th Ave. Seems like they have everything.

VikingVince

Explorer
I have two blitz cans that I carry on my rear bumper. If I had known back when I bought them what I know now, I'd buy a different brand...Wedco probably 'cause they would fit my design better. Having said that and FWIW, once I replaced the gaskets they have not leaked one tiny bit in nearly two years...which includes the length of Baja, miles of washboard, etc. I got my replacement gaskets from Offroad Recovery...they just mailed them in a small envelope. I've really gotten good service from them.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
The advantage the blitz cans have is the metal lip on the bottom. Lets you use a much smaller mount. I just wish some of the other cans had the same thing.

Robthebrit

Explorer
In general to replace the gaskets on any can get some commercial neoprene sheets and make your own. Just cut around the existing gasket before tossing it, it works better than the OEM gaskets. You can buy the neoprene sheets in any thickness you like and you can stop pretty much stop any can from leaking.

You can get neoprene from any good fabric store, I got mine from the fabric district in downtown LA.

Rob

VikingVince

Explorer
Hey Rob...what a great Handy Tip...thanks for sharing that...could come in handy with lotta cans.
(we met at the steak place...forgot the name)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior