Block heater question?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My 2018 F-150 is a Canadian spec truck, and as I'm sure a lot of Canadian trucks are, it came from the factory with a block heater.

Unfortunately I'm not able to park my truck in the garage (my half of the garage is filled with motorcycles) so it sits outside all the time. Since I work from home and we normally take the wife's CR-V for local errands, my truck often sits for a week without being driven.

Just recently I've begun to plug in the block heater but something occurred to me: How do I know if it's even working? It would be nice if there was a light somewhere that showed me the block heater was actually heating. Is there any way to know?

f150snow2.jpg

Photo taken yesterday after a ~9" snow storm followed by -11f (-24c) temperature plunge overnight. You can see the orange cord where my block heater is plugged in.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I know the newer Chevy trucks have block heaters that have a thermostat built in so they’re not on all the time.
Short of using a Kill A Watt I’m not sure how you’d tell if it was working.
Also I don’t think you need to have your inactive truck plugged in long term. Maybe a battery tender if anything.

jadmt

ignore button user
if you have an IR thermometer just shoot it at the block you will know if it is working.

ChasingOurTrunks

Some kind of indicator is a really good idea, but I've honestly never run into one.

I do use an extension cord with a light in the end so I can tell it has live power, but of course it's a matter of faith that the block heater is doing what it's supposed to when it's plugged in. There are quite a few surface lots with plugs, but many of them only turn on past a certain temperature, so the light is helpful in this regard. I can usually tell the next day when starting if a car has been plugged in or not --It's gotta be about 15 C below zero, but after that point there's a distinctly noticeable difference in starting ease with a plugged in vs unplugged vehicle.

But, for the most part, it's a matter of faith that the block heater is doing what it says it's supposed to do.

billiebob

My 2018 F-150 is a Canadian spec truck, and as I'm sure a lot of Canadian trucks are, it came from the factory with a block heater.

Unfortunately I'm not able to park my truck in the garage (my half of the garage is filled with motorcycles) so it sits outside all the time. Since I work from home and we normally take the wife's CR-V for local errands, my truck often sits for a week without being driven.

Just recently I've begun to plug in the block heater but something occurred to me: How do I know if it's even working? It would be nice if there was a light somewhere that showed me the block heater was actually heating. Is there any way to know?

View attachment 705709

Photo taken yesterday after a ~9" snow storm followed by -11f (-24c) temperature plunge overnight. You can see the orange cord where my block heater is plugged in.
When you plug it in.... with your ear to the grill you will hear it sizzling, literally you can hear it.

This was our setup in Yellowknife, our coldest night was -72F..... I could hear the block heater loud and clear.

DSC_0329.jpg

billiebob

View attachment 705709

I'm thinking your cord might be a bit light and the run might be long.
Park facing the plug in and use at least 14ga, 12ga is better. 16ga is garbage.
The longer the run, lighter the gauge, the higher the voltage drop. Use the shortest run possible.

Funniest thing I ever saw....

DSC_0093.jpeg

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Block heater should draw about 1000watts. At 120v, thats roughly 8 amps. A 100ft 16 gauge cord is good for 10amps.

While a larger gauge cord is likely “better”, it is certainly not required. Especially when we are talking about max amperage of conductors, being used in the severe cold. ;)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Also, I have a handful of Wyze plugs around the property. They ere extremely handy for keeping track of all things plugged in outside. Rain cistern tank heater, dog bowl heater, camper shore power, and vehicle block heaters. On/off, on a schedule, whatever you want.

Alloy

I used a block heater on my 7.3. Defrost will work right away if the block heater is working.

To save power I used a timer set to come on 2 hours before I left for work.

Grassland

You can unplug the heater and use a meter to check resistance of the heater and then do the math to find the approximate wattage. If the circuit reads open, the heater circuit has a problem.

Explorerinil

Observer

View attachment 705709

All of our squad cars including the f150’s have block heaters here, it’s a factory option on all ford vehicles, we even have them on our explorers. The vehicle will warm up easier and start a tad easier in super cold weather. Put it on a timer to start 3-5 hours before your leaving to save on energy. The f150 police responder I drive is plugged in now.

burleyman

If you're comfortable doing so, a simple analog AC ammeter, placed in series on the neutral wire at the source, will show amps while the heater is on.

burleyman

Mainly safety for a DIYer. USA 120vac grounded neutral has no potential with respect to ground.

Choice number one for me would be Verkstad's 15 dollar plug in monitor.

Number two is Betarocker's sizzle test.

Number three is Grassland's resistance test.

Number four would be a short, sacrificial extension cord, split lengthwise with one wire pulled out far enough to use a clip around AC ammeter I already have. Plug the long one into that.

My post above would be the last choice.

alanymarce

If the vehicle won't start the block heater isn't working!

More seriously - I've never heard anyone complain about a block heater which didn't work - they are apparently very reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online