Blowing Rock, NC Trip Report

JakeMate

Adventurer
Made a weekend trip to the mountains of North Carolina a few weekends ago. With the help of some previous posts on Expedition Portal, I was able to plan a pretty cool route with a lot of Forest Service Roads.

This first picture was taken while on Old NC Highway 105 going from South to North. It had some great views of Linville Gorge.

IMG_2414.jpg

Another as we stopped for some pictures and snacks.

IMG_2417.jpg

We then stopped at Linville Falls.
IMG_2432.jpg

And on to Linville Caverns.
IMG_2453.jpg

Day 2 started with a stop at The Blowing Rock.
IMG_2458.jpg

We then took Globe Road out of Blowing Rock towards Mortimer
IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

After about an hour and a half of dirt roads, we found the abandoned town of Mortimer
IMG_2487.jpg

Some fly fishermen
IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

A one lane bridge heading out of Mortimer towards Grandfather Mountain. I think the dirt road was called Roseboro Road.
IMG_2512.jpg

On to Grandfather Mountain
IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

The Mile High Swinging Bridge
IMG_2545.jpg

A little hiking
IMG_2558.jpg

biggn235

Next time you're up this way and want more of a challenge check out Richland Rd, it is an unmaintained road that requires the use of 4Lo and is always fun. And if you are into Geocaching there are three on Richland. Brown Mtn is also another great place to go.

JakeMate

Adventurer
Next time you're up this way and want more of a challenge check out Richland Rd, it is an unmaintained road that requires the use of 4Lo and is always fun. And if you are into Geocaching there are three on Richland. Brown Mtn is also another great place to go.

Sent you a PM.

Tim A

Adventurer
Very cool, we have family in Asheville so I'd love to check this out next time we're down there. Thanks for posting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior