BMAN Gourmet?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Oh man, I saw this recipe list and immediately knew I needed to contact BMAN. This stuff is right up his alley...

SCOTS Recipe guide

Some excerpts...

"Hoecakes
These thin, crispy, cornmeal pancakes can be eaten with any meal. I grew up watching my Great Aunt fry them up in a cast iron skillet. My cousins roll up leftover bacon in hoecakes and stuff them in their camo pockets to eat while they’re out hunting. They won’t spoil like bologna or mayonnaise.
To start you, need bacon drippings. If you’re not saving your bacon grease, you should. Keep it in the fridge and scoop out a spoonful as needed. If you want to keep fairly large quantities available for frying, cook down a couple of pounds of fatback or bacon slowly on low heat. This will take a while but it makes the house smell good. Pour your grease through a metal strainer and store it in the fridge. It will last two weeks. Leaving nothing to waste - take the bits or cracklin', and stir them into your corn bread batter. I prefer cracklin' in the salty, firm kind of cornbread.

Mix 1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt and 1tsp black pepper
Combine with a whisk or shift together.

In a separate bowl mix
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup milk
1 beaten egg

Whisk together wet and dry ingredients. Mixture will be thin. Place about a tablespoon of bacon drippings in the bottom of a heavy skillet and heat to medium high. Using a gravy spoon or ladle, make your hoecakes like you would regular pancakes. Watch your heat and adjust to avoid burning. I like to eat these cakes with molasses in the morning or to sop up beans at dinnertime.

From the kitchen of Miss Taylor in Georgia."

"BACON MEATBALLS
1 lb. ground beef
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
2 Tablespoons steak sauce (or the closest thing you can find)
5 Slices of bacon

Toss everything except the bacon into a bowl. Mix it up real good. Shape this mixture into small balls (1" or so wide). Wrap that there bacon around the balls and fasten with a toothpick or twig. Slow cook 'em in a skillet until good n' done. Serve with crackers or white bread soaked in ball juice from skillet."

Come to think of it, I think some of this stuff might actually be enjoyed very much by Goodtimes too. :chowtime:

The "Dump Cake" reminds me of Brittan's cobbler :p

I hope Roseann see this... maybe she could get permission to reprint some of these beauties on the 3-Martini lunch blog :elkgrin:

BTW, the new SCOTS CD is bookoo fun!

articulate

Expedition Leader
tequila.gif
:eatchicke :camping:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
That is a cool smiley Mark. And, is it just me, or does that smiley remind you of Cartman?

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
You have't had breakfast until you sample Bman's Krackercakes with Bacon and maple syrup
tequila.gif

they are DAMN GOOD! :coffee:

Thanks Mark for that killer smiley ;)

articulate

Expedition Leader
Everyone likes the smiley! I didn't invent it, I just found it. But who the heck is Cartman?

Anyway, back to bacon talk.....krackercakes with bacon and maple syrup sounds yummy.

Quote of the day should be If you're not saving your bacon grease, you should. Keep it in the fridge and scoop out a spoonful as needed.

Willman

goodtimes said:

That's awesome Goodtimes!!!.....Breakfast sounds good right about now!!!....I'll have to see if i can make a run with you all this winter to taste Bmans goods!!!! (summer all booked w/ school)....Thats a long drive for good food.....The fat guy like myself would make the trip!!!!...lol

:eatchicke

BMAN

Adventurer
Holy CRAP how the hell did I miss this till now. Hoe cakes sound like a fine staple for any diet. Hell the name is cool too.

Thanks for the words on the Crackercakes DD. It's one of those "ancient family recipes" that's best when shared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94