BMW X5, anyone ever done one?

morgandc

I am thinking bikes on the back of the trailer. I have considered using the back of the trailer for a spare x5 tire. Also, thought about welding on an additional receiver hitch or two on the X5 :)

Cody1771

Explorer
damn X5's... new transmission, then a total top end rebuild when the timing chain guide failed causing a bunch of bent valves... not something you want happening on a remote back road... all within about 6 weeks of each other.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I am thinking bikes on the back of the trailer. I have considered using the back of the trailer for a spare x5 tire. Also, thought about welding on an additional receiver hitch or two on the X5 :)

The hitch gate has a pass through hitch so you could put the bike rack on the trailer with it. I just figured for the sake of tongue weight it would be best on the back of the trailer.

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah i've been wondering about a build thread for that thing! the top end of the engine on mine is being rebuilt right now, timeing chain guide broke and the cam slipped bending several valves :mad: imo these are not reliable enough for overland travel outside your home area.

Cody1771

Explorer
just got back from the shop and they had it pretty torn down, the timing chain guide is supposed to have a UHMW guide to keep the chain from slapping around but it disintegrated and is now non existent, The U-shaped piece is whats supposed to have it attached.

8508546356_47976bc80d_z.jpg

you can also see the pilot valves that move the intake cams for the variable valve timing which is what i originally thought the problem was.

Here are a few shots of the engine torn down, pretty fancy looking engine IMO.

8508546506_335dae380b_z.jpg

8507437849_e305afbbe5_z.jpg

and here is the head, you can't see it in the pic but a bunch of valves are bent due to the slip in timing when the guide let go, both heads are coming off for a total Re and Re. the pistons and bores are in great shape so the bottom end isnt being touched.

8507437869_1bb84c1dae_z.jpg

there are so many special tools involved with these, this would definitely not be a reliable over-lander if you where going any more than just out of town range.

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah does look like an X3, looks like the company that built that off road X5 is only a few weeks from releasing a 1.5" spacer kit designed to be used with the X5 with air ride. looks like i might be gaining a little ground clearance...

Cody1771

Explorer
X5 is gone, damn thing cost me over $8000 this year. traded it in for a new Ford Focus, all adventuring will be done on 2 wheels or by foot from now on :D

madmax718

Explorer
its a fine platform for about 90 percent of driving. If your not planning on getting hunters rash on your ride, you should be just fine with just about anything.

Frank

Explorer
I meant to post this a few months ago but time moves fast. Regardless, over the summer, I attended the BMW performance driving school. We went thinking that the entire day would be spent driving cars, but spent several hours behind the wheels of X5's. Why BMW doesn't advertise these capabilities is beyond me. They were very impressive.

(the music is an inside joke)
http://youtu.be/Ta0a0uXbO0w

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles