Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

have you checked temps with and without the lights? Just wondering how much (if at all) the lights affect airflow thru the grill
Yeah, I haven’t noticed much difference with or without lights. If you look back a few posts you’ll see I’ve had 3 lights on the front bumper for a long time. I’ve removed the center light now to allow more air to directly hit the grill/radiator. Not much change.

As I mentioned earlier, in general my coolant temps aren’t that bad. But it just gets really hot in the engine bay and I think any reduction in those temps can only help so I’m trying a few things.

In what way would you say the 80 is better than a Disco 1?
That’s a loaded question. Having owned both I personally think the 80 is better than the Disco in just about every way except for the drivers seating position and the seats themselves.
Even though the Disco has a V8 there’s not a big difference in power and there’s no comparison in terms of reliability.
Depending on how you intend to use it you could be very limited on lift and tire size with the Disco without some extensive mods. Factory f/r diff locks and slightly bigger axles/diffs along with the ability to fit 35’s comfortably with a 2” lift makes the 80 much more capable out of the box with very minimal investment in lift/tires.
Internal useable space is larger overall in the 80 is better a slightly longer wheelbase (IIRC) can make long trips more comfortable.
The Rover is a cool vehicle and definitely has personality. On the upside a Disco I is stupid cheap to buy used and can leave you with more money to outfit it. But in the long run you’ll spend more money just keeping it running right than you will being able to actually get out and use it. That’s been my experience with them and I bought my Disco brand new and it was never as reliable or capable as my 25 yr old Cruiser is now.

The 80 series has about 12 inches of wheel base on the Discovery 1. For performance, the 80 weighs 400lbs more and the 3F makes 33 less horsepower and ~16 ft.lbs less than the Rover V8, which I would consider a wash. A 2 inch lift, camel cut and optionally some spacers can tuck 33" tires no problem on the Discovery 1. I think with 35's you'll have to cut a little more and you'll lose more steering angle, but they will fit. There's a Discovery 2 that runs around here with 37's on it with a bit of trimming and fender flares. I think she has a 4 inch lift though.

Around here, I can buy an LR3 for the price of an 80 series Land Cruiser... or 3-4 Discovery 1's. So far both my Discovery 1 and Defender have been very reliable (although I did rebuild the Discovery motor because I mistakenly thought it had low oil pressure) and very cheap to work on when ordering parts from somewhere like LRdirect.

Anyways, that's a tangent. I've been really enjoying your thread as well as Summit Cruisers Jr's. Almost makes me want a 80 series...

But the 3F powered 80's are typically not the preferred model. The later model ('93-97) have the 1FZ motor that has more power and is much better suited to the weight of the 80, although they are still no racecar. My point being that with the LR having a V8 you would expect better power. I found the motor in the Disco to be very disappointing. The newer LR3-4's are better.

Purchase price of a used Land Rover is definitely a plus for the LR, but it should also tell you something about what you can expect to a degree. There are a number of reasons the 80 will hold it's value so much better than a Disco. I'm glad you've had good luck with your LR's being reliable. How many miles do you have on them? FWIW, I had roughly 330K miles on my last 80 when I sold it with no rebuilds or any other motor work besides replacing hoses that got brittle. My current 80 has 265K miles with the original motor but has had the headgasket replaced around 200K miles.

As I said before, the Disco is a neat car but from my experience it's not in the same league as an 80 series Cruiser.

200K on the Disco 1, 250K on the Defender and 65K on the Range Rover.

I think one of the problems with "luxury" brands is that the previous owners could afford to purchase the vehicle, but they could not afford it. A lot of these vehicles that have had problems have had zero maintenance... Simply not overheating the motor goes a long way in longevity!

I love your front bumper. I like it better than the Slee short bus which I've been seriously considering. Where did you get it? Any issues with the fit or any mods needed to mount the winch?

I love your front bumper. I like it better than the Slee short bus which I've been seriously considering. Where did you get it? Any issues with the fit or any mods needed to mount the winch?
He built it himself.

...speaking of which, do you want to build a 100 series bumper? :devilish:

Thank you. As duvinclunk mentioned, I built the bumper myself so no issues with fitment. ;) Not planning to build anymore.