Brand spank'in new Bantam T3 build

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Thanks all, for the positive input... I added some more pictures in my previous post
Even this simple build using 'all' new components seems to takes 3 times longer than planned.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The trailer looks great!
I like the taillight guards, I think I need a set for my trailer.
Keep the pictures posted.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Got the fenders and shocks mounted. Mounted the fenders using the mounting brackets that were already welded onto the trailer.
In the first picture the primer red fender is the standard size military that came with the trailer, the middle fender has about 9" cut off of one end to fit the trailer.
Ordered all the parts to fab a Starboard flip top. After the lid is made, it's off to get painted and then finished.

386101_2926518366593_605629863_n.jpg

390795_2918681610679_417166793_n.jpg

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
So what is your investiture to build a brand new M100 with off the shelf parts ? I realize that you don't have a lid or final paint on but to this point whats the damage ? I think that many here have spent large sums of money to get to this same point. For instance I have have read of $700 sand blasting quotes etc. Your trailer is brand new, not some back yard compromise. Don't mean to pry just very curious.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
So what is your investiture to build a brand new M100 with off the shelf parts ? I realize that you don't have a lid or final paint on but to this point whats the damage ? I think that many here have spent large sums of money to get to this same point. For instance I have have read of $700 sand blasting quotes etc. Your trailer is brand new, not some back yard compromise. Don't mean to pry just very curious.
As it sits in the above pictures minus the wheels have about $2,800. into it.
When completed with a Starboard flip lid, professional painting and the expensive wheels shown above, it's going to be pushing $4,000.
That's a lot of money for a big empty rolling tool box. (smiley winky eye face crap)

Last edited:

Bonked

Observer
Springs & Shackle info

I am about to begin tearing down my Bantam trailer. What leaf springs& shackles did you buy? I am aware of the early CJ3/CJ5 fit of the leaves. Since I am not worried about maintaining a stock reproduction, I was wondering what advice you might have to keep the parts sourcing to a minimum, in terms of cash and acquisition. Once I replace the original Bantam axle to fit Toyota wheels, I may have to use some type of an extended shackle to lift the tub a bit. I don't want a spring over axle set up.

Thanks in advance for any info. I'm eagerly following your build...Looking GOOD!

Last edited:

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I am about to begin tearing down my Bantam trailer. What leaf springs& shackles did you buy? I am aware of the early CJ3/CJ5 fit of the leaves. Since I am not worried about maintaining a stock reproduction, I was wondering what advice you might have to keep the parts sourcing to a minimum, in terms of cash and acquisition. Once I replace the original Bantam axle to fit Toyota wheels, I may have to use some type of an extended shackle to lift the tub a bit. I don't want a spring over axle set up.

Thanks in advance for any info. I'm eagerly following your build...Looking GOOD!

Wasn't too concerned about saving a few dollars, so just ordered parts from where ever located them on-line.
Keep in mind that my trailer is a Bantam Military T3 and you have the Civilian T3C, so not sure if 'all' the parts are the same??? but spring and shackles should be the same.
The axle was ordered directly from Dexter. The price was very reasonable. Upgraded to a 3" diameter axle from the standard 2- 3/8". That caused a problem finding a 3" U-Bolt plate with a shock mounting bolt and for a 1-3/4" spring width. See post #27 ....but the T3C doesn't have shocks so that shouldn't be a problem. The 3" axle is over-kill the standard 2-3/8 would be fine.
Springs: 8 leafs CJ3 Front purchased from JC Whitney. Wanted softer springs so purchased 8 leafs rather than 10 leafs, they both should be on this link:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement-leaf-springs-for-jeep/p2005969.jcwx?filterid=d18864y1951j1#prodDetailTabPanel
Shackles: 1/2" lift DayStar shackles, they also have 1- 1/2" lift. Both lengths are listed on this link:
http://www.quadratec.com/category/Jeep+Shackles/125/index.htm
FWIW... Recently realized I didn't drill, weld or modify the trailer's tub or frame at all. For the custom tongue, fenders, tail lights, wiring and suspension only used the holes that were already in the frame and tub. Didn't start with this as a goal, but now that's it's almost finished, made a small change to the Starboard Flip Lid, so it too will work without drilling into the top bed rails.
Have fun with your build and start a thread!

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
I'm in a boating town and used to pay big money for starboard for projects. A friend who is a boatwright told me to stop using starboard and to go to 84 Lumber and buy Azek instead. Both are pvc board. Azek comes in 4x8 sheets very reasonably (around $160 a sheet). Thought I'd share if you haven't already spent big money on Starboard.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I'm in a boating town and used to pay big money for starboard for projects. A friend who is a boatwright told me to stop using starboard and to go to 84 Lumber and buy Azek instead. Both are pvc board. Azek comes in 4x8 sheets very reasonably (around $160 a sheet). Thought I'd share if you haven't already spent big money on Starboard.

Yes thanks... many of the parts for the Trailer flip top are from boat parts suppliers.
Used the term Starboard which is Marine-Grade Polymer Building Sheets or Lumber, but purchased the cheaper generic stuff locally. It looks exactly the same as King Starboard.
Paid $144.00 for 4x8, 3/8" sheet.
Nice stuff to work with in place of wood, except it can't be glued. Plastic welding and mechanical fasteners are used.
Here's a picture of a Starboard counter top in our Shuttle Bus conversion.
The front side wall can be removed when used for food prep.

149685_1713392639208_1369941973_1840041_1812329_n.jpg

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Started to piece together the Starboard Flip Lid.
There will be two pieces of Starboard, a large piece (4'x6') will open and a small piece (6"x6') that will be anchored to one side of trailer with conduit pipe hangers that clamp between the pipe on the bed rail and the top. The large and small pieces of starboard will be hinged together with a gasket between the joint.
The third picture shows the mock up of the conduit pipe hanger and the stainless steel hinges with removable pins. The large piece can be removed by pulling the 4 hinge pins and used as a table top.
The top will be held down with a long bungee cord that utilizes the trailer's 10 rope hooks. Really like this way to attach the top, kind of a retro-look, like the ropes used to attach a tarp.
The bungee cords hold the top down very tight and easily unhooks in a few seconds without much effort.
On the pictures below the top looks kind of brown, but it's really matte black.
405158_2922425944285_1369941973_3133633_1311758376_n.jpg

388477_3036870365324_1369941973_3200879_571292976_n.jpg

387441_3036865285197_1369941973_3200877_141983301_n.jpg

392700_3036858765034_1369941973_3200876_18067317_n.jpg

Last edited:

hesterj

Adventurer
Very nice build so far. I really like your idea to keep from drilling the frame and tub.
I look forward to the future updates. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne