Breather tubes

invictusmaneo

Does anyone have a list of breather tubes to check on the trucks? I have an 02 500, and want to make sure all of mine are attached/functioning. Mainly concerned with diffs and trans, but interested in any other recommendations from those on here on ones to check.

I've done some searches and looked at manuals and how-tos, but mostly I am finding disparate comments. Thanks!

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Does anyone have a list of breather tubes to check on the trucks? I have an 02 500, and want to make sure all of mine are attached/functioning. Mainly concerned with diffs and trans, but interested in any other recommendations from those on here on ones to check.

I've done some searches and looked at manuals and how-tos, but mostly I am finding disparate comments. Thanks!

You really would get more on topic answers on the G-Class Forums like Pointedthree.com or CGW.

ILIAN

Adventurer
There are breathers for each differential, 1 for the transfer case, 1 for the transfer case locker diaphragm, and 1 for Diff locker vacuum boosters. The transmission breather is just a cap on top of the bellhousing on 2002+ trucks. On 2000 G500 the transmission breather extends on an inverted 'U' tube attached to the exhaust shield that runs behind the engine.

invictusmaneo

Ilian, Thanks very much that is helpful.

Have you seen anyone extend any of these? When I get a chance I am going to try to chase each of these down and check their condition, but am curious about getting them in the water. I know the factory rating is to the center of the hubs, but trying to be on the safe side.

ILIAN

Adventurer
Which model and year do you have? It's a good idea to check the tubes, they should all be extended all the way up to the firewall in the engine compartment, maybe even higher than the air intake. If they are in good condition, you can safely ford water up to the bottom of the doors.

invictusmaneo

Mine is a 2002 G500.

So the factory tubes extend into the engine compartment? I'll go on a search.

I've briefly gone deeper than the bottoms of the doors, but definitely will not ford prolonged distances deeper than that. My door seals are in need of replacement, and even after that I'm not sure they'd hold well! haha

ILIAN

Adventurer
Yes, they are on the drivers side, close to the brake booster. Your G is not too old so they are probably fine. They can be hard to trace, black plastic tubes about 8mm OD. The door seals will probably not seal too well, but it's ok to go a bit deeper momentarily. Check under your carpets for moisture and rust. It doesn't dry with the carpets in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles