Broken Arrow Trail in Sedona

DacoRoman

I just took my newly, lightly, modded, 4Runner on Broken Arrow Trail in Sedona.

The trail has some pretty legit rock/boulder obstacles but I aired down to 18 psi and the truck was like a freakin' billy goat, it handled that totally legit trail without breaking a sweat.

We should have taken lots more pictures and some video but we weren't in the mood to over document and let that get in the way of the experience!
Here are two photos so you can get an idea of the amazing views from this trail.

H4SpWlL.jpg

VKdIGow.jpg

There were some pink jeeps I encountered but overall traffic was very light because I guess it is off season now due to the heat.

At times I was wondering if I could pop up the tent and spend the night out there! I need to look into this. Does anyone know?

Anyway, if you overland through Sedona this trail provided views so stunning, I'm still stunned frankly :).

blanchard7684

I did most of Broken Arrow back in May. The trail congestion was a bit much. Either hit the trail at 4-5 am or you were gonna be in a one lane nightmare. (it was forecast to rain and I wasn't gonna attempt the steps with appreciable chances of sliding into someone or someone sliding into me)

The part that I did was great. Super fantastic views.

I had a TRD PRO 4 runner and I was astonished how well it did.

We did Schnebly Hill first thing in the morning and there wasn't appreciable traffic until about 12-1.

Then we did Broken Arrow in late afternoon and it was beyond a zoo.

Schnebly is a great place for good views as well. The trail is much, much longer. Its also extremely rough and rapidly getting worse. I did it in 2018 and then in 2019 and you could tell there was more erosion from rain and trail use. There is a moderate shelf in the middle of the trail and at the top there is an off camber section. You can drive around it if needed.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Schnebly Hill is best ran aired down, easier on the truck and your body! Lived in Prescott, AZ six years, lots of family visited, lots of trips to Sedona. Great area to explore, Jerome, Sedona, Old Cottonwood, Cherry, AZ mountain road, etc.

daveh

Adventurer
Broken Arrow is best in the early morning. We’ve always planned it so that we were heading off the trail by 8AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DacoRoman

I did most of Broken Arrow back in May. The trail congestion was a bit much. Either hit the trail at 4-5 am or you were gonna be in a one lane nightmare. (it was forecast to rain and I wasn't gonna attempt the steps with appreciable chances of sliding into someone or someone sliding into me)

The part that I did was great. Super fantastic views.

I had a TRD PRO 4 runner and I was astonished how well it did.

We did Schnebly Hill first thing in the morning and there wasn't appreciable traffic until about 12-1.

Then we did Broken Arrow in late afternoon and it was beyond a zoo.

Schnebly is a great place for good views as well. The trail is much, much longer. Its also extremely rough and rapidly getting worse. I did it in 2018 and then in 2019 and you could tell there was more erosion from rain and trail use. There is a moderate shelf in the middle of the trail and at the top there is an off camber section. You can drive around it if needed.

Great report! Yeah Spring, and Fall is high season in Sedona and it is best to stay away from the popular trails!
I'll be checking out those other trails you mention. Many thanks for the report!

DacoRoman

Schnebly Hill is best ran aired down, easier on the truck and your body! Lived in Prescott, AZ six years, lots of family visited, lots of trips to Sedona. Great area to explore, Jerome, Sedona, Old Cottonwood, Cherry, AZ mountain road, etc.

Broken Arrow is best in the early morning. We’ve always planned it so that we were heading off the trail by 8AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger that! Thank you for the input!

I'll have to check out all of those other areas too for sure.

We did Broken Arrow trail around 4pm, and it had very light traffic, but again it is low season due to the heat currently.

Last edited:

Torsf

The trails around Sedona are great, but the Jeep tour drivers are generally jerks, particularly on broken arrow. They charge >$100 per person for the broken arrow tour, and I think they think it hurts their business when non-jeeps use the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior