BST camper build

big sky trapper

Adventurer
More MODS for our exploring truck.

We got this “nice” camper in a campfire trade. (for the cost to me of a set of AR-15 handgaurds which was from an earlier trade…) At first I thought it was an old Trade Winds camper. But after completely tearing it down, its more of a conglomeration of various parts that all “some what” fit by all its previous owners)

Our first plan was to follow like several on here have posted builds converting it into an off-road style camper, with a heavier axel, larger tires (I had planned on 245 75 16’s on six lug wheels so as to interchange with the suburban and the truck.) reinforced frame, ect. Well about half way through that design process, I noticed that the entry door is too close to the wheel well area to allow it to be opened up length wise, to allow a larger tire. (Without completely redoing the entire frame assembly, a 195 70 14 would have been about the largest that could have fit….Back to the drawing boards….

Well the following week I ended up in another camp fire trade a really nice 22 foot Reinell fishing boat (For the nice sum of a dozen beaver traps!) Well cant take the boat and the trailer together and the cost of gas is too much to try and take two vehicles….

So the drawing board is up again….more measuring and thinking hmmm….I saw a pic of the Quick Silver brand campers, Wait a minute…more measuring…Guess what will fit pretty good off its frame on my truck bed just like a standard topper/camper. But one draw back will have to give up one bed room, as its longer than its wide.

So the current plans are …

Reinforce the floor with a few 2 x 6’s length wise where the original trailer frame was.
Some sort of tie down system for the bed of the truck until a flat bed can be built.

I’ve already rebuilt all the inner structure for the lift mechanism and repaired the lift arms where needed. Replaced the end aluminum covers with a heavier sheet aluminum.

Replace the remaining canvas with either some sort of a tan or light OD green. This will be a job in itself lots of sewing!

Need to make a quick disconnect power cable to tag into the secondary battery in the truck. I’m thinking of just using a standard 6 pin trailer harness male/female plug arrangement with the female end located in the bed somewhere.

Most of the upholstery is done. Used a 420 Denier, waterproof vinyl backed canvas. In camo of course! Haha

Installed an older Sony cd with some pioneer 6x9’s for some tunes.

Tommorow have to raise it from the ceiling and spin it 180 and set in down on the bed rails and find a good way to mount it….

Well now for the pics….

trailer+1+lg.JPG

Backing it in hopeing nothing more will fall off haha
trailer+6+lg.JPG

Only good for a pattern.
trailer+2+lg.JPG

The road vibration from a bent axle caused this on the 50 mile road trip home...
trailer+4+lg.JPG

trailer+5+lg.JPG

Flash back to an earlier time...maybe should hang a dico ball from the ceiling and call it done haha
trailer+8+lg.JPG

the tear down begins.

AFSOC

Explorer
Looks like a good project, I'll be watching for updates. You'll have a busy few months to get her ready for hunting season.

is retirement still treating you well?

big sky trapper

Adventurer
some more ...

trailer+10+lg.JPG

All four corners had to be completly redid as they were totally rotted out. Plus all the side supports front to back as well.

trailer+11+lg.JPG

New front in place and rolling out the frame. I found and excelent source for sheet aluminum that i had never thought of till the other day. I got two pieces cut for 1.54 a foot from a seamless aluminum gutter company. They had it in 1 foot and 2 foot rolls several hundred feet long. Much thicker than the original material on the trailer and very easy to work with. Score it with a razor knife a few slight bends and breaks very cleanly.

trailer+13+lg.JPG

New covers front and back with angle Iron for corner ties and to provide some protection to the corners from minor trail branches ect. and also a place to mount some sort of a lifting mechanism.

big sky trapper

Adventurer
AFSOC, retirment has been GREAT! you?

And hopefully this contraption will be finished in two maybe three more good weekends....

big sky trapper

Adventurer
disater

well after all that work, while hoisting it up monday, with lots of slings and rope, getting ready to back the truck under it to set it down on the bed rails to make the under supports and tie downs, while it was up in the air, the center section of the floor gave way, and buckeled in the middle. Cracked the roof portion right down the middle! Sooooo... back to the drawing boards again what a mess....

rusty_tlc

Explorer
It may be cheaper to buy replacement canvas than make it yourself.

Iowa Boys

Rvworkshop

Bear creek

google "tent trailer canvas" for a bunch more.

I was looking at buying a tent trailer last summer that needed new canvas I called a few of these places and was suprised at how reasonable they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior