Buck. A return to pre-emissions diesel life...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I made a quick decision last week. My tax write offs from my 2014 3500 Cummins Diesel have dwindled to the point of not being worth paying for it anymore, and at 103,000 miles, if I drove it a few more years, my equity would diminish as well. Boom. Sold. I rolled in a pile of $100 bills, and then drove straight from the bank, to the Toyota dealer and leased a 2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad for my wife to drive. Hello tax write-offs!

This lead me without a camper hauler. I looked at a bunch of ‘03-‘07 trucks. They were all asking around $13,000-$15,000 with 250-300,000 miles on them. They all needed a bunch of work. I was even starting to look for gas trucks, which lead me to change my search words, when up popped an ‘05 for $4900 firm. Pics looked ok. I call. Guy sounds like a total hillbilly. I figure, meh, what have I got to loose by looking? Turns out the seller lives in a a very large, very tidy home on ten acres with ponds and unbelievable landscaping. He has 6 Cummins trucks including 2 mini Freightliners. Definitely not a hillbilly.

The truck looks way better than I expected. It drove well, but wandered a fair bit, but it’s a 3rd Gen Dodge, so not surprising. The interior was mint. I had to buy it. I didn’t offer less than he was asking, but he told me he would take $4100. Then he threw in 4 XRF balljoints, and a complete front steering linkage. It has. 6” lift with Fox 2.0 shocksthat im removing in favor of a 3” kit. Just basic stuff at this point, as I needed in stock parts to get it ready to tow this week. I’ve traded off the hideous grill and tail lights for stock units. Most evenings this week will be spent taking out the lift, installing the new coils and shocks and steering linkage. More mods will follow.7F54E36B-DD51-4EB6-84D3-FB8F4BFEE459.jpegB94FBBEB-B1B1-4500-97FD-0A613F7341D4.jpeg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow nice looking truck Mr Redthies. Is that a gasser or a diesel truck? Looks pretty cherry. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the truck. Cheers, Chilli..?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I made a quick decision last week. My tax write offs from my 2014 3500 Cummins Diesel have dwindled to the point of not being worth paying for it anymore, and at 103,000 miles, if I drove it a few more years, my equity would diminish as well. Boom. Sold. I rolled in a pile of $100 bills, and then drove straight from the bank, to the Toyota dealer and leased a 2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad for my wife to drive. Hello tax write-offs!

This lead me without a camper hauler. I looked at a bunch of ‘03-‘07 trucks. They were all asking around $13,000-$15,000 with 250-300,000 miles on them. They all needed a bunch of work. I was even starting to look for gas trucks, which lead me to change my search words, when up popped an ‘05 for $4900 firm. Pics looked ok. I call. Guy sounds like a total hillbilly. I figure, meh, what have I got to loose by looking? Turns out the seller lives in a a very large, very tidy home on ten acres with ponds and unbelievable landscaping. He has 6 Cummins trucks including 2 mini Freightliners. Definitely not a hillbilly.

The truck looks way better than I expected. It drove well, but wandered a fair bit, but it’s a 3rd Gen Dodge, so not surprising. The interior was mint. I had to buy it. I didn’t offer less than he was asking, but he told me he would take $4100. Then he threw in 4 XRF balljoints, and a complete front steering linkage. It has. 6” lift with Fox 2.0 shocksthat im removing in favor of a 3” kit. Just basic stuff at this point, as I needed in stock parts to get it ready to tow this week. I’ve traded off the hideous grill and tail lights for stock units. Most evenings this week will be spent taking out the lift, installing the new coils and shocks and steering linkage. More mods will follow.View attachment 568633View attachment 568634
$4100? That would command a fortune in SoCal.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Cool truck. Miles? Looks in great shape.

320,000 miles. Just barely broken in! It’s actually in pretty good shape overall. I’m doing completely new suspension, aside from leaves, and completely new front end. Almost done after a 7 hour marathon of fun. Taking out someone else’s stupid big lift is no bueno. But, it will be great when it’s done.

Hi Chilli, it’s a Cummins, of course!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
$4100? That would command a fortune in SoCal.

I looked all over the entire west coast. Even Idaho, Montana etc. Most trucks of this age were $13,000 to $18,000 with similar miles, and similar maintenance requirements. I can’t beli the deal I got on this thing! Going to get the oil, trans fluid and coolant sampled and tested. Seems to be running great though! I did preemptively buy AAA for a year, so hopefully that takes care of any disasters...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You're having fun. If you eventually mount a slide in be sure and get the RV coverage added to your policy.
I had an issue with the fuel tank on 2nd gen. The tow truck pulls up and the guy informed that I didn't have the additional RV tow coverage and that was with my popup. $125 for a five mile tow to the dealer. I also have the 100 mile coverage.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You're having fun. If you eventually mount a slide in be sure and get the RV coverage added to your policy.
I had an issue with the fuel tank on 2nd gen. The tow truck pulls up and the guy informed that I didn't have the additional RV tow coverage and that was with my popup. $125 for a five mile tow to the dealer. I also have the 100 mile coverage.

I got the “Premier RV” coverage. 4@ 200 mile tows per year.

I finished up taking the big lift out today. I can actually check the oil without a step ladder now!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I got the “Premier RV” coverage. 4@ 200 mile tows per year.

I finished up taking the big lift out today. I can actually check the oil without a step ladder now!
Yeah,you're right. 200 miles for the first tow,100 miles thereafter.

leeleatherwood

Can someone explain me tax write offs? vehicle related would help.

I'm getting raped over $1800 in taxes per paycheck (bi-weekly), this ******** is straight up theft by the government.

If I need to make some form of shell company to do it, I will.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Can someone explain me tax write offs? vehicle related would help.

I'm getting raped over $1800 in taxes per paycheck (bi-weekly), this **** is straight up theft by the government.

If I need to make some form of shell company to do it, I will.

I’m not sure how it works south of the line, but here in Canada, if you own your own business, or work for someone else on a contract basis, you can claim ALL business related expenses against your annual income. There are different percentages for different things, so having a good accountant is key. It’s a double edged sword though, as when your income goes from $120,000 down to below $50,000 after your expenses, banks will only look at the smaller number when you are doing a mortgage etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles