Budget, but brand new, Fullsize expo rig ideas.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Thanks guys for the answer. I have very limited knowledge of the HD trucks.
I like where the conversation is heading.
Let’s keeps the conversation and suggestions coming.

Another question,
How comfortable is the 2017 f250 for long distance driving? Including driving on dirt roads?
I understand it’s not Volvo, but would like to hear an opinion?
Not just f250, what about other HD trucks?
More comfortable than a 2012 toyota camry for long distance drives IMO.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Thanks guys for the answer. I have very limited knowledge of the HD trucks.
I like where the conversation is heading.
Let’s keeps the conversation and suggestions coming.

Another question,
How comfortable is the 2017 f250 for long distance driving? Including driving on dirt roads?
I understand it’s not Volvo, but would like to hear an opinion?
Not just f250, what about other HD trucks?

I like it fine enough. Bds and Carli can improve the ride. As can King shocks and a Fox ats steering damper. The Oem shocks won't last long. GM's oem shocks don't work at all.

4" more travel, and some 35-37" tires on 18" wheels helps a ton. Avoid the 20" wheels.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm having a hard time judging the comfort level because my left knee is shot. But it seems nice to me.

My 2015 regular cab seems a hair better, but the CC has way more room, and the seats appear to be the same. I think I'm just used to the 15. I have 170 000 miles on that, and only 10 000 on the 17.

I usually slide the seat back to get in and out, and bring it forward, for an Italian or rally like seating position for long drives.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Thanks. I get anywhere from 13-17mpg highway. Towing or with the RTT on is another story. But we don't buy these rigs for their fuel economy;)

I agree this truck is not super economical, but that is not too bad... I had a coworker, back in Michigan telling very similar numbers on his Tacoma.
————

Why does the Chevy use IFS on the HD trucks? To improve the riding quality?

Explorerinil

Observer
I agree this truck is not super economical, but that is not too bad... I had a coworker, back in Michigan telling very similar numbers on his Tacoma.
————

Why does the Chevy use IFS on the HD trucks? To improve the riding quality?
They have for years on all their trucks, I personally think it’s because of simplicity, they have one set up or basic design used on all trucks, obviously HD trucks have some different parts. Ride quality... for and ram with solid front axles ride better, handle better and are better in off camber stuff. My mom had a gm 2500 with the 6.0, I hated riding in it, even stock my dodge rode better.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nobody making decisions at gm, is driving a gm hd truck. Both the Dodge and the Fords ride better, even with the plow springs and solid axles. Our gm's literally float and bounce like a sail boat in a storm. Every freeway expansion joint makes the truck do an almost perfect ''rocking chair'' motion.

They're still ifs on the hd's, because they simply don't know any better. Clueless. They'll be bankrupt next time the economy crashes again.

jadmt

ignore button user
Buddy just bought a new duramax 3500 and it is super comfortable. Not sure how it could have a better ride.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
After I rebuilt the front end of my father in law's 2004 2500 cummins(130k miles) I took it out on the road to make sure there wasn't any weird noises etc. I didn't really notice a difference compared to my truck but I didn't do much highway. I will say that the suspension does seem stiffer on the dodge and it squats less with a load than my truck. He uses that thing to tow a 17,000lb gooseneck, no helper springs or airbags. He admits is sketchy for a truck rated for 13k and he can't really stop if someone pulled out in front of him. My truck would be on the bumpstops with that much weight on the rear axle.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Clutch - that's one of your best postings lately! I couldn't agree more, $24 for a brand new 4x4 truck that gets decent fuel economy and should be reliable for many years. that's hard to beat.

You can get that RAM, drive I up to Alaska on the ice road this winter and then down to Patagonia.

You mean the paved and graded gravel maintained highway to Alaska. A Kia Rio could make the same drive without problems.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
After I rebuilt the front end of my father in law's 2004 2500 cummins(130k miles) I took it out on the road to make sure there wasn't any weird noises etc. I didn't really notice a difference compared to my truck but I didn't do much highway. I will say that the suspension does seem stiffer on the dodge and it squats less with a load than my truck. He uses that thing to tow a 17,000lb gooseneck, no helper springs or airbags. He admits is sketchy for a truck rated for 13k and he can't really stop if someone pulled out in front of him. My truck would be on the bumpstops with that much weight on the rear axle.

You cannot compare a 2004 HD anything to a recent model year HD anything. The newer 3500 SRWs have GVWRs as high or higher than early 2000 DRW trucks. And my 3500 with the Thuren setup and 36s rides better than most half tons while having a payload capacity of almost 4000#.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne