Budget-friendly big rack on the Sequoia (refresh)

irish44j

So i built this little (ok, big) rack a while back, figured i'd post up a few pics here since I just made some changes to it and in case anyone gets any ideas from it (and I'm well aware that a lot of you here have truly epic racks so not trying to compare to those, but this is what I made for <$200 total cost (excepting the ARB awning). Anyhow, If you want to see the original "build" of it, I'm not going to re-post the whole thing but I did a writeup over on GRM forum LINK TO THREAD (CLICK)

Otherwise, here's a few pics of the refresh. And keep in mind this is not as much for overland stuff as it is for hauling gear when using the truck as support/crew vehicle for the rally car - so this rack often has 4-6 wheels/tires up on it, so has to be "open" enough to fit that stuff and low enough that I can actually lift wheels/tires up there (hence the very low side rail). The rear/side lighting is mostly for rally service at night, where we need to light up the pit/service area and for trailer loading.

Zh3avOMh.jpg

p3ayZCah.jpg

So anyhow, I pulled it off (it's heavy) today to clean the roof under it from 2 years of grime, and to make some modifications including better tie-down loops, better access openings for my mounts for the roof box, cleaned up the lighting wiring, and added a grab rail on the left side.

ORTU6RTh.jpg

AyNj4hvh.jpg

Vg8Cf6Bh.jpg

You may recall (if you follow my other builds) that this rack was made from an ebay-sourced tri-fold steel ATV ramp (basically, cost about half of what raw materials would have, and took half the work....) and some composite chicken-coop flooring (which has really held up great to the elements and is easy to cut/modify as needed). The "new" grab rail was the last remaining piece of those ramps so figured I'd use it for this.....So anyhow, a few pics of the improved rack...

hQmNv7Lh.jpg

Zh3avOMh.jpg

AbJeergh.jpg

XLUELIwh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior