Budget Outfitter 6.5 build thread

cripper

Hey yall,

I recently bought a used outfitter caribou 6.5 popup camper for the wife and I which will be replacing our bumper pull tent trailer and figured I would share my improvements and will be asking questions along the way. We decided on a popup TC so we can go more remote areas and travel at faster speeds on the highway while we cruise the country on our hunting/fishing trips. I bought the camper for 2k and it needs work!

The Camper:
Outfitter caribou 6.5
Everything works! (fridge,furnace,stove,lights,ect)
Canvas is perfect

The Bad:

Previous owner left the water pump on and flooded the camper leaving the floor with significant floor rot. The lower floor area seems to be separating from the top on one side leaving a 1/8 gap one pass side below the front pass thru window (ill post pics cause that explanation makes no sense)

Roof is missing two corner cap pieces

The wood veneer on the interior walls is cracking/dryrot from the flooding 3-4 inches up from the floor.

The jacks and anchors have severe rusting. Bottom of jacks are almost completely rusted thru

The Plan:

Im deciding whether I want to take the time and remove the interior cabinets to replace the floor or just place some plywood on the interior walkway and slap some home depot stick on hardwood flooring and call it good for a few years.

I will be adding new plywood to the outside lower floor area and reinforcing the sag with some L brackets.

Recaulking all joints and figuring out someway to seal the corners (Called bob at outfitter and inquired about buying new roof corners and he wasn't very helpful and mentioned that "someone in Montrose CO makes them" but thats all he knew.

Cut square tubing and reweld onto lower end of jack legs

Questions:

Does anybody have a good idea on how to source or make (fiberglass?) new roof corners?

When i add new plywood to the exterior will SS fasteners be ok to use to screw into the aluminum frame? If not what kind of fasteners should I use

I will post pics of the project and my wife and I have our first trip planned at the end of march so I have a deadline!

Thanks,

Chris

seth_mo

Chris, I recently have doing some small reno work to my caribou 6.5. Mine is about 10 years old. I replaced the flooring in mine with smart core from lowes. Waterproof, easy to install, looks good and is inexpensive. I found 3m 4200 marine caulk thru talking to some other guys on here about water leak issues. Stuff works amazing! I tried reaching out to Bob as well for a few bits of info. I was trying to get a rough blue print to get an idea of where the aluminum framing is. His reply "use a stud finder...." Hope that is some what helpful. Feel free to email me directly. Ive turned mine inside out. Good luck with the build!

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Old thread, but how did this go? I just purchased a 2007 Outfitter Apex in need of some love. I did get outfitter to reply to me about the corner pieces, sent me info for a place that makes them for about $75/piece. Seems steep to me,

sertguy

Observer
lm curious how the rebuild went as well. I have a 2005 Apex in need of a corner piece as well.

And in my experience with Bob is that he gives the minimal advice/help as possible and has the personality of a hammer. I'm in the market for a new pop up and going to buy a Hallmark this time because of the customer service with Outfitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I know how my* rebuild is going.... Brian so far has replied, taking his time. They did just send me my new cabinet doors though. Ill try and find the info, for the shop that replaces the corner pieces. IT was somewhere weird, social media I think.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Outfitter Manufacturing
March 6, 2013 ·
Need roof corners for your older Outfitter? Here's a guy that one of our customers found that has made a replacement aluminum corner. Just give him a ring. Nice guy!
Gene Wagner
Montrose Co.
kustomk-fab.com
970-240-4101
Custom aluminum corners 75.00 each

3 Comments
2You and 1 other
Jordan Pawley
Show more reactions
Comment

Oldest

Comments

Jordan Pawley
Are these still able to be sourced?
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 9w

Outfitter Manufacturing
Yes, same guy but has since moved. His new number is 209 327 1507
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 9w

Jordan Pawley
Thank you!
Manage

Outfitter sent this to me- I never contacted them though, I thought it seemed like a steep price.

LosAngeles

lm curious how the rebuild went as well. I have a 2005 Apex in need of a corner piece as well.

And in my experience with Bob is that he gives the minimal advice/help as possible and has the personality of a hammer. I'm in the market for a new pop up and going to buy a Hallmark this time because of the customer service with Outfitter.

I spoke with Bob at Outfitter today , at length, and he was extremely nice, funny and helpful. He had answers for all my very specific questions about their construction. I am sorry you had a different experience than mine with Bob.

John

sertguy

Observer
I’m not hating on the guy, it just my opinion in the the 3 times I’ve spoke with him.

One question, were your questions to him about a new camper you were interested in purchasing, or a older Apex camper you own or plan on buying?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94