Budget overland vehicle advice

llamalander

Not sure if it's on your radar, but skiing out of a vehicle gets complicated by the need to dry your gear. Minimum is a forced air heater and enough room to hang your clothes and set up your boots in front of a vent. with 2 people's gear and a cat+dog in the vehicle, there isn't much room for you two in a truck or a SUV. If you have to go outside to cook, change or crap, life will be much less fun. Something like a van or a short school bus may be better suited unless you only ski on clear days and never break a sweat. While 4wd seems like a must have, chains will (slowly) get you where you need and leave you enough cash to ski a season or two.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
This is true. The 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma long bed is 74”. A 4Runner with the seats down is even longer... likely the same for Nissan.

The Toyota Tax is real. I love my Tacoma, but I also loved my Ford Ranger. It did everything we asked it to. There are good domestic options out there.

There’s a jeep tax as well.

MOguy

Explorer
There’s a jeep tax as well.

Not on the XJs, yet. There is a big price gap on the goods ones vs the rust buckets. I bought my TJ new many years ago and the price wasn't out of line (back then) but used Wranglers HOLY CRAP, they are expensive. The Toyota tax is nothing compared to the price of a used Wrangler.

But if you want a short wheel base off-road vehicle with good after market support Wrangler (even with the additional price) is the best option.

OP wants off-road ability. I guess a lot depends on what off-road capabilities the OP wants.

XJLI

Adventurer
I know a few with 90s and 2000s Chevy pickups, suburabns and Tahoe's They are fine, they come in 4 wheel drive but if you truly want a vehicle designed for off road there are many many many many better choices, infact not sure if I could think of a worse choice. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them as a truck or people move, just they suck off road. If the wind blows from the wrong direction there 4WD stops working. They have absolutely no articulation. And even with the best tires GM has found a way to make a vehicle not get traction. Unless you find an older K5 blazer.

Initially you said you had an 4-8K range. Personally I would consider a 3rd gen 4Runner or a think about a Jeep Cherokee XJ. But you didn't have Jeep on your list. You should have a decent amount left from you 4-8K budget to really goes though either one of these vehicles and get them running really nice. If they are too short for sleeping think about a tent.

Blah blah blah. The 99+ electronic 4wd system is pretty simple and reliable. Three things go wrong with it:

-The transfer case motor thing is the most expensive and time consuming to replace. You can buy the whole assembly for ~$250 and swap it, or put new guts and reseal what's in there for under $100. Takes an hour to do.
-The 4wd switch also goes bad. 5 minutes and $20 for the part.
-Last, the ground for that switch and most of the dash is under the frame rail right at the driver's door. DUMB. It gets all corroded and janky and will throw the service 4wd light as well as cause the 4wd switch to eventually fail and make your dash lights flicker-y. Easy and almost free to fix.
-The electronic front axle disconnect is pretty reliable over the older vacuum one, and I don't see problems with that much or at all.

The G80 locker works well enough, and the 4L60E has a decently low first gear. It always impresses me off road, and does very well for a low, long, full-size truck. I have 285/70-17s and ~2" of lift. With one size taller tire and another inch of lift it would be perfect, but I don't wheel it enough to warrant the taller size and the gears in my truck are 3.42s. You can find them with factory 4.10s easily, but my truck must have been special ordered bc it has the Z71 pack and tow pack, but highway gears. Still more than enough power though.

Can't flex or get traction? Quite the opposite, my dude. And remember, you have 295 rev-happy horses on tap when all else fails. Can't say that with much else mentioned in this thread. I've been stuck in my Discovery in spots where I didn't have enough power to motor out. Theres something about being able to lay into the skinny pedal until the tires find something to grab.

liUrgHM.jpg

qkTdJK4.jpg

wboXtHf.jpg

You need to remember it isn't a JK on 37s, and have realistic expectations.

I've had two XJs, and friends with 3rd gen T4Rs, and would never want to be two people and two animals on a long trip in either of those. They are pretty small inside. I know this is the Toyota forum (I'm actually thinking about getting into a LC100 next, never been a pickup guy but I needed a truck and this one fit the bill when I got it) but I'm just trying to show the bang-for-your-buck in this body style Chevy.

zelseman

Observer
Not sure if it's on your radar, but skiing out of a vehicle gets complicated by the need to dry your gear. Minimum is a forced air heater and enough room to hang your clothes and set up your boots in front of a vent. with 2 people's gear and a cat+dog in the vehicle, there isn't much room for you two in a truck or a SUV. If you have to go outside to cook, change or crap, life will be much less fun. Something like a van or a short school bus may be better suited unless you only ski on clear days and never break a sweat. While 4wd seems like a must have, chains will (slowly) get you where you need and leave you enough cash to ski a season or two.
That’s a really good point. We would struggle skiing out of our short bus for the reasons mentioned. Shopping for a tiny wood stove now to dry things out!

MOguy

Explorer
I think everybody I have ever met has or had or at least one GM pickup or blazer. They are great trucks, but as far as an off-road vehicle they are far from special. The OP says he does "moderate off road". GMs independent front suspension (not bashing IFS) is not set up to do moderate off road. If everything is stock and you don't push it you maybe just fine.

For driving 18 inches up a rock I guess they are fine or driving though a shallow creek they are fine. I guess it just depends on what you consider moderate off road.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
For driving 18 inches up a rock I guess they are fine or driving though a shallow creek they are fine. I guess it just depends on what you consider moderate off road.

:rolleyes:

You can do any of the famous passes in Colorado, and most "4wd required" trails in the country with ANY 4x4 with low range on 33" all terrains. I don't think this guy needs to be able to drop down Indy or run upper Helldorado in his ski-venture truck.

jadmt

ignore button user
I think everybody I have ever met has or had or at least one GM pickup or blazer. They are great trucks, but as far as an off-road vehicle they are far from special. The OP says he does "moderate off road". GMs independent front suspension (not bashing IFS) is not set up to do moderate off road. If everything is stock and you don't push it you maybe just fine.

I admit I laughed when I saw that awesome flex and the rock stacking on a small rock lol. but everyone has different levels of comfort. I remember driving strike ravine then watched the big boys play on helldorado and others in BFE thinking these guys are truly nuts not just half nuts lol.

XJLI

Adventurer
I admit I laughed when I saw that awesome flex and the rock stacking on a small rock lol. but everyone has different levels of comfort. I remember driving strike ravine then watched the big boys play on helldorado and others in BFE thinking these guys are truly nuts not just half nuts lol.

Been there, done that.

4lnBpMY.png

wfO5Gtm.jpg

Run whatcha brung. You don't need tons and 37s for everything, a rock stack here and there isn't anything to be ashamed of if you can accomplish your goal.

jadmt

ignore button user
Been there, done that.

4lnBpMY.png

wfO5Gtm.jpg

Run whatcha brung. You don't need tons and 37s for everything, a rock stack here and there isn't anything to be ashamed of if you can accomplish your goal.
I agree. I have done nearly every trail other than BFE in Moab ie Golden Spike, Behind the rocks, rose garden hill etc and the Rubicon and dusy ershim and all on 35's or smaller in a 4 door. The all the San Juan area trails on 32'si ncluding Poughkeepsie. But BFE that is for people way braver and better drivers than me. I have to drive home at the end of the week :)

SkiingClimber

For what your needs are I think you should look at vans. 4wd Sienna perhaps?
Originally before I got our tundra we were looking at vans. But after we had the tundra I realized I wanted a more off-road capable vehicle. Vans can be bought in 4wd but are usually more expensive. Vans in general are more expensive since vanlife has happened. I’m aware that ground clearance and driving skill is what really gets you most places. Chains and AWD will help with snow. Having a shovel and knowing how to use it and stack rocks will get you a lot of places as well. But as far as vans go Mitsubishi Delica was the only one that seemed like something I’d be interested in as VWs and Quigley conversions were all well above and beyond what I’m looking to spend with some going for almost as much as a sprinter. Our original plan was to build out a really tall topper kinda like a van.

SkiingClimber

Yea I’m well aware of the condensation/moisture issues. I figured I would be spending evenings and days off drying out clothes at the laundry or sleeping with gear to try and dry it out as if camping. Anyone have any experience with the knockoff espar heaters? Don’t think any of my options are going to fit a wood stove in it.

MOguy

Explorer
Originally before I got our tundra we were looking at vans. But after we had the tundra I realized I wanted a more off-road capable vehicle. Vans can be bought in 4wd but are usually more expensive. Vans in general are more expensive since vanlife has happened. I’m aware that ground clearance and driving skill is what really gets you most places. Chains and AWD will help with snow. Having a shovel and knowing how to use it and stack rocks will get you a lot of places as well. But as far as vans go Mitsubishi Delica was the only one that seemed like something I’d be interested in as VWs and Quigley conversions were all well above and beyond what I’m looking to spend with some going for almost as much as a sprinter. Our original plan was to build out a really tall topper kinda like a van.

If you could specify what a more off-road capable vehicle is that might help.

A Wrangler is more off road capable then most other vehicles but not possible for two adults, a couple pets and sleeping space. So I doubt that is a consideration. Even a 4Runner would get crowed. A van could be very spacious but limited when it comes to off-road.

Can you pull a small off road trailer, it would add $$$$ and limit off road ability but maybe not as much as a larger vehicle.

SkiingClimber

Sorry I meant more off-road capable than a van particularly a 2wd van. While it would be nice to have a vehicle more capable than the tundra we had,I’m going to have to make compromises. More off-road capable also means less space. I had thought of buying a 4Runner and pulling a trailer for gear however I don’t think that would work for me. I feel like it would limit off-road capability more than a bigger vehicle would and when I’m in a more populated area I think it would make parking more difficult than it should be. Particularly anywhere where parking is at a premium and cost money. It sounds like I’m either going to have to fork over for a bigger rig or compromise on the amount of gear I bring. Pretty much no vehicle completely stock is going to do the job I’m either going to need to find a topper, cargo box, bigger tires, etc or a combination of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne