Budget Skamper Fix/Build

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Nice find. That's what I need for my Dodge.
Seems like all of the deals are at the other end of the state...

psdfrank

Observer
looks cool, nice work.

what i plan on doing about power i actually plan on using a used 45watt panel i got off craigslist, its more expensive than the lower wattage onces but for any extended trips and more power draw would be very helpful.

Also for batteries, I have 2 6V golf cart batteries for more capacity. I haven't hooked any of this stuff up yet but i'm planning too.

Last thing about power is some ppl have a little generator too incase you need to do a recharge and the sun isn't around etc.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Refrigerator Question. Input Please.

Hey guys, Thanks for the comments. Ill get a lot more pictures up of the camper soon. Lots of little changes.

Quick question though. I need a FRIDGE! :Wow1: I found this on CL:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/rvs/1679438029.html

What do you guys think. My concern is draining my battery. I only have a small 5 watt, 0.75 amp solar panel right now for my battery. Not enough for this huh? Input? Should I way it out for a 3-way. Just seems like a good deal, and would work for a while. I was thinking I could throw a battery isolator kit in the truck to charge it while driving too. Anyways, your advice is appreciated, as I could get a friend to pick it up for me this week.
Thanks!
Paul

fisher205

Explorer
It should work, especially for the price. I think the neser models are more efficient. Mine is set up to charge from the truck with an isolator and works fine. I do have dual house batteries and can do about 4 days before the refrig auto shuts down to protect the batteries. I think this is a way better system than the 3 way fridge set up.

Brad

rgs

Your restore is looking great. If you come across some extra money, the truck vault (www.truckvault.com) makes a great sliding and locking drawer for under your set-up, thy have a high and low profile option and if you get the all weather one, you can keep it in the bed even if the camper isnt on there.

Ryan

SLO_F-250

Explorer
It should work, especially for the price. I think the neser models are more efficient. Mine is set up to charge from the truck with an isolator and works fine. I do have dual house batteries and can do about 4 days before the refrig auto shuts down to protect the batteries. I think this is a way better system than the 3 way fridge set up.

Brad

Well, I decided not to get the fridge. I probably should, but was not too excited on the inefficiency of it. I would have gotten a bigger solar panel, 2nd battery, and hooked up the battery isolator setup.
Honestly the propane fridge really get my attention. I have a freind with one in his camper, and the propane is really efficient.

rgs said:
Your restore is looking great. If you come across some extra money, the truck vault (www.truckvault.com) makes a great sliding and locking drawer for under your set-up, thy have a high and low profile option and if you get the all weather one, you can keep it in the bed even if the camper isnt on there.

Ryan

Thanks! That drawer is awesome! haha Alot better then my plywood setup. I might have to look into it when I get my Tax return! :sombrero: Either that or a fridge!

How about some picts! I had to head up to the San Francisco Bay area this week end to take my PE (Civil) Licensing exam and decided to hit up Half Moon bay state beach Saturday night. As the trip was not nearly long enough, and the campsite was RV city, it was nice to be outside and relaxing after studying for a month.

My Girl throwing back some Zinfandel!
P4170117.jpg

A little Dutch oven Dinner
P4170110.jpg

Sunset in RV city.
P4170116.jpg

Kitchen Counter. haha
P4170118.jpg

Goal is to take the rig out on some dirt roads this weekend. Going to throw the surfboard in the back and head up to the Big Sur area. Cant wait!
Cheers Guys!:wings:
Paul

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You are making me jealous! We spend a ton of time in your area and are missing it right now! A bit south of you we hang out on the Rincon Parkway, which isn't exactly the wilderness, but I can surf right out front!
Warning!!!! Sunset and Zin shots below...:sombrero:

Attachments

• Rincon Sunset.JPG
    Rincon Sunset.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Parkway Zin.JPG
    Parkway Zin.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 153

Terrainist

Explorer
Sunset

My oh my, that is a beautiful sunset. Thanks for posting the pic, and the story pic behind it - (the vantage point, people looking at it). If there isn't a thread for sunset pictures and the pictures behind the sunset shot...there needs to be. Thanks again for posting that, it's beautiful. (It's good to be able to look at sunsets in the morning).

Hijack off.

Edit: Okay, found the sunset photo thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405&highlight=sunsets

Hijack off again.

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey Yall! I did a little trip up the coast to the Ventana Wilderness this weekend. Took the dirt road at Willow Creek to Nacimiento Ferguson. About 16 miles on dirt with about 2500ft elevation gain. It was a great trip, and good to test out the setup on a little bit "rougher" of a trip. Here are a few shots! :wings:

Headed up.

Cruising.jpg

View from Camp

Veiw.jpg

Camp.

Camp.jpg

Little Sunset Shot

TruckSunset.jpg

Back to Paved Road.

EndofDirt.jpg

And of course I have to give a shout out to Tim (SOAZ). THANKS FOR THE STICKERS! They came the day I was headed out. Had to get them on the rig!

P4240163.jpg

One of these days Ill get some pictures of the Mod's I've got going on the ole' Skamper. So far for a 21 year old hunk of plywood, shes doing great! I dont have many complaints besides the small fix-it cause of age stuff, and the weight at 875dry. But so far it has handled decently on the dirt. Anyways. Cheers all! :smiley_drive:
Paul

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Looking good! :victory:

I "think" EXPO stickers count as deferred maintanence until 300K miles!! :elkgrin:

jarmstrong

Really great find ! We have an 05 sunlite pop up that we love.I am green with envy over the amount of storage space you have with yours,I would gladly trade the small amount of inside space we gain over ours fitting closer in the bed.Storage has been an ongoing problem when ever we go out and dont take the jeep on a trailer behind us.I cant recommend enough that a 3 way fridge is worthwhile,not have to fool with soggy food and being able to pre-cool at hoome inadvance and load with food,though we usually still have a small cooler we set outside to not have to go in and out.We use the torquelift tie downs and are really happy with the peace of mind knowing the camper is secure.we have 2 deep cycle batteries that so far have made it all trips, even cold when the furnace is running and they are tied in so they are recharged some as we drive down the road.what do you use as steps ? we have to remove the tailgate and found steps meant for loading dogs in vans but they work well for us and sit right inside the door as we go down the road and lay on the bumper and stretch out to fit the ground.good luck with your mods and enjoy the pop up life.
Jerry

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey Guys, Hope all is going well. I was finally able to get some time in on the ole skamper and have a few updates.

Latest trips:
Lake Nacimiento
Joshua Tree
Montana De Oro St. Park

Latest Mods/Updates:
I GOT A FRIDGE! Yes FINALLY. A Dometic 2193 for $60 off a guy at a local RV repair shop. He serviced the propane "workings" for me and I bought the a new heating element for the 120V from him and installed it. Tested it last week and it works great! Now just to install it. Im waiting on my vents to come in to access it.

Ive been working on my drawer a bit and have painted it and cleaned it up. much nicer.

Finally the plan in the next two weeks is to finish fixing those dang corners that are notorious for cracking. I got them off the last weekend and started in on the sanding, cleaning, and fiber glassing. They are looking good and WAY stronger. Other than that, I just need to re-seal the roof, and then planning on heading up the coast for a weekend here soon.

Some picts.....

At the lake in style!

2010-09-10_12-29-00_320.jpg

New Curtains throughout!

2010-10-03_12-31-00_750.jpg

Taking off the roof corners. A little drywrot, but not too bad.

2010-12-31_13-33-46_476.jpg

Corners off, clean, and ready for some glass!

2011-01-02_14-14-30_827.jpg

First layer done!

2011-01-02_17-37-04_663.jpg

2011-01-02_17-59-06_968.jpg

Ill be working more on it in the next few weeks, so Ill keep yall posted. I hope the install of the fridge goes smoothly! :sombrero:

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

eugene

Explorer
Yours looks a lot like our palimino, same furnace,same thermostat, etc. I put in a 12v pump as the old hand pump didn't work very well anymore. A lot of the wood on mine is rotten or getting soft, its needed a lot of work.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Yours looks a lot like our palimino, same furnace,same thermostat, etc. I put in a 12v pump as the old hand pump didn't work very well anymore. A lot of the wood on mine is rotten or getting soft, its needed a lot of work.

Yea, its interesting that alot of those older brands are basically the same. Luckily mine came with a 12V pump when I got it. I just had to replace the faucet. Keep working at it. Its worth it when you pull up to a nice spot on some back road and set up shop. :ylsmoke:

A few more picts of the other little upgrades/things ove done.

Plug in 36 LED lights. They work great.

P4230135.jpg

Cheap Fantastic Fan Wanna be off Ebay. Could use a fan speed control, but it sucks the air right out when Im cooking. Its not bad for the price.

P4230134.jpg

Goodbye useless icebox. Using two of these coolers has been my method untill I get around to installing the fridge.

P4230132.jpg

Probably one of the best easy and cheap things ive done. New stick on linoleum. Looks way better than the 80's white and pink flower pattern that was there. Notice all the brushed nickel handles. haha Adds a nice little clean touch.

P4230131.jpg

Now for the last layer of fiberglass on the roof corners. Have a good weekend everyone!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It looks great! You're really adding new life and getting use out of it. I sure like the idea of renewing things and enjoying them. Good luck with the fridge. I use that same kind of cooler!

Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles