Bug out challenge

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd like to have one, drove a 998 in the Marines as one of my hats as an arty battalion hq ops / FireDirectionControlman / NCO. Their wide wheelbase was a little trouble sometimes, but other times it was great to have. Damned seating was as tiny and cramped as an old jeep, though, with the trans tunnel and fuel tank hump so high and wide inside the passenger compartment.

dezbuggy.jpg
Clampett wagon.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
definitely know your terrain and preferred routes. My greatest concern in a mega-quake is faults severing roads. The San Andreas in the L.A> area basically runs along the 138 in antelope valley. The aqueduct basically runs on top of it / alongside it too. So a big quake there is going to make a mess and might well cut off most of the routes north out of L.A. Which is terrible news for us, as we're just a few miles south of that fault, on the north edge of L.A. I really want to get as far away from L.A. as fast as I can in a major disaster. Several millions and not more than 3-4 days of food and water for them at hand, ever. And pretty much zero in the way of emergency supplies for them, in govt hands.

/Really don't want to be in CA at all anymore, for several reasons

eta Took the local CERT training in January this year, ironically starting on the anniversary of the Northridge Quake, and the city management folks basically told us they have a couple shipping containers with a bunch of stuff but that is for 'continuance of government' (personnel). That the general population is on their own. There's 10M people in L.A. County, and nearly that many more in all the other SoCal counties. Not including the ~2M jammed up against the southern border. There's ever a huge quake event around here, I'm running as far from all those hungry mouths as I can get. FEMA says 'keep three days of stuff', few do. And our grocery supply chains don't either.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Crossing ditches would suck around here unless the earthquake knocked a bunch of logs across the ditch.

Like two 10-15' cliffs with 4' of water and mud bottom as deep as you want to go.

D

Deleted member 9101

How about a KLR 650? They are simple, can haul quite a bit of gear, they are obnoxiously reliable, and they sip fuel.

As for me, I live in Central Fl and deal with hurricaines almost annually. I have plenty of food and fuel is not that hard to get once the storm passes. I am far enough inland that flooding is not a concern and far enough in the country that civil unrest is not a worry.

Also, I'm in the National Guard, I'll be at ground zero for what ever happens in my state...so a bug out vehicle is kinda of not necessary.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Though a pack goat would be a close second. Almost no water requirements, can scale the toughest terrain. Perfect for the rocky southwest.

1571874531687.png

Typically, castrated males, or wethers, are the packers, though some bring a female in milk along on the trail for a fresh squirt into their morning coffee or cereal.

shade

Dirt Rider

Have any of you thought of a place to meet up with your family/friends in a bug out situation ? Boonies if you have supplies or near possible resources ?

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Yes, we have plans in place for situations such as a major disaster or disruption, where somehow we would have to make our way home on foot. If home wasn't safe we have a rendezvous location. Both my wife and I have supplies that we keep in the car to sustain us.

billiebob

I find this thread real depressing. Really things get tough and you bug out? Things get tough you need to get together with your community and be strong together. Never run away. Face the challenge.

What would you do here ?

100,000 people evacuating town together. You had a bug out plan??? lol
You want a plan?
Join your fire department.
Become a first responder.
Work with your search and rescue team.

Become a good citizen, not an anarchist.

100,000 people showed up in LacLaBiche. The community, province, country came together.

shade

I find this thread real depressing. Really things get tough and you bug out? Things get tough you need to get together with your community and be strong together. Never run away. Face the challenge.

What would you do here ?

100,000 people evacuating town together. You had a bug out plan??? lol
You want a plan?
Join your fire department.
Become a first responder.
Work with your search and rescue team.

Become a good citizen, not an anarchist.

100,000 people showed up in LacLaBiche. The community, province, country came together.
Looked like they wisely ran away. ?‍♀️

Planning to evacuate makes perfect sense in some situations. The one you cited above was too far gone for any amount of volunteer fire fighters to control. Hurricanes are another powerful example of how puny man's efforts can be in the face of an implacable natural force. Staying put in those conditions only makes things worse for yourself, and for anyone that tries to rescue you.

Coming together as a community is important, but do your emergency service members a favour and evacuate when it's appropriate. When the danger passes, there'll be plenty of work for everyone.

Wilbah

Adventurer
For those who want to get some insight into what "could happen" (could mind you) in a complete societal collapse, the book One Second After is a great read. It deals with a national EMP and the "what happens" in the days and months after. Pretty sobering view but the author touches on some things I had not contemplated before (one example- what happens when the psych meds run out for tens of thousands of de-institutionalized people that live among us and cause no issue because of their meds).

Do I think this will occur? No i dont. But similarly while I dont "think" a fire could burn down my house it didnt stop me from creating a plan me for how to evacuate it safely, i would be foolish to not even spend some time thinking about it. At least that's how i view it. YMMV.

I think planning relating to a number of things (food, water, power, get out, self protection) are all worthy of consideration and planning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94