Bug out challenge

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I think that any big old diesel 4x4 will make you an instant target in a SHTF scenario. Spare parts availability, range, etc aren't gonna matter because all travel routes will be blocked.

If you're gonna bug out you're going to have to do it on foot. You're going to want no more than a small pack and clothing that blends in but doesn't stick out (camo, etc.).

You're going to have problems with 2 legged things for a few days/weeks if you make it that long. Best to try to avoid them, but be able to blend in if you have to.

If you survive the initial collapse period, you will be fending off 4 legged things as fido and his neighbor dogs are going to pack up once they stop getting fed at home. The packs will venture farther out of the cities once the soilent green supply dries up.

I just hope I die in the blast so I don't have to worry about it...

Maybe investing in scouting a bug out route on foot and strategically burying caches of supplies at intervals you will need/want them would be more productive than building a BOV. Probably more work and not as much fun but if you really think you want to try to survive...

Mike W.

When the Apocalypse hits I'm going to sit on my little ranch if I wasn't deep fried that is and not worry about it..the one thing I will do is open that 50 year old bottle of Clan McGregor and sip till it's gone..Never let good Scotch go to waste.

CampStewart

Observer
If the world goes to pieces I am best equipped to survive it at home not encroaching into someone elses territory. My 1 hour commute took 2.4 hours today due to heavy rains. If something really bad happened Motorcycle, bicycle, or walking would be my only reasonable means to get there. Honda Civic, Dodge pickup, or 5 ton military truck would all be boxed in with nowhere to drive. If I managed to "escape" wherever I ended up I would be an interloper and no matter how many rounds of ammo I had some local would soon call my bug out vehicle theirs.

85_Ranger4x4

If the world goes to pieces I am best equipped to survive it at home not encroaching into someone elses territory. My 1 hour commute took 2.4 hours today due to heavy rains. If something really bad happened Motorcycle, bicycle, or walking would be my only reasonable means to get there. Honda Civic, Dodge pickup, or 5 ton military truck would all be boxed in with nowhere to drive. If I managed to "escape" wherever I ended up I would be an interloper and no matter how many rounds of ammo I had some local would soon call my bug out vehicle theirs.

On that note in case of a "bug out" situation please feel free to have a Defender 90 ready to go and bug out to Southwest Iowa...

Dirt Rider

Good replies and some very entertaining! My FourWheel camper holds plenty of water, but I do not keep it full so, will need to carry a filter system if I do not have the opportunity to fill it. I keep a weeks’ worth of MRE’s in it along with other goodies. Have my BOB ready and other than that, anything else? I am lucky in that I am not going to be stuck in a city, and roads are not needed here in the desert (Plenty of trails). Living in the SoCal area it’s always something so I have to be prepared, just hope I don’t have to find out if I truly am. In the meantime, I will be using the truck for its intended use, which is overlanding and enjoying the great western half of the country.

shade

Good replies and some very entertaining! My FourWheel camper holds plenty of water, but I do not keep it full so, will need to carry a filter system if I do not have the opportunity to fill it. I keep a weeks’ worth of MRE’s in it along with other goodies. Have my BOB ready and other than that, anything else? I am lucky in that I am not going to be stuck in a city, and roads are not needed here in the desert (Plenty of trails). Living in the SoCal area it’s always something so I have to be prepared, just hope I don’t have to find out if I truly am. In the meantime, I will be using the truck for its intended use, which is overlanding and enjoying the great western half of the country.
If you're able, having a cache of water or reliable water supply elsewhere would probably be a meaningful goal to attain if you're a sand person that wants to get away from the hubbub of Mos Eisley.

rayra

Expedition Leader
My fiendishly clever plan was to wind up with two 4wd GMT800 SUVs. my Sub is my daily driver and has a storage platform / drawers inside it, one drawer full of (off)roadside emergency stuff, the other drawer my BOB and other towing / rescue gear. Integrated rooftop solar. A rear power module with a 1000W inverter and a wealth of other power connections / inverters. As well as a bunch of USB charging ports. Tool drawer includes a mini compressor and a variety of tire repair options.
Northridge quake caught me with nothing at all, been a Prepper ever since. These days I keep 50gal of both gas and water in 20L jugs. I can carry 5 inside the Sub, racked. I have a hitch rack I can use to carry another (7).
I live on the north edge of L.A. My bugout plan is GTFO out and away from greater L.A. We had a vacation home in the kern river valley, '99-'11, sold it off. Have extended family in San Jaoquin and Imperial valleys. I don't consider either as a good place to go in huge crisis. And if we have a major fault go, well the San Andreas mostly runs along the 138 in these parts, so all the roads north out of L.A. will likely get severed. I've got a bunch of shovels too. I can only hope the thrust fault breaks in my favor, so we can get the hell away from a lot of cannibals.

Last week we took a long road trip up 395, up and around Mono Lake, Mammoth, June / Silver / Grant lakes, before going up Tioga pass and over the Sierra and into Yosemite Valley. Mostly it was part of our 'Farewell Tour(s)' of CA and I was looking at high desert roads with an eye to an emergency bugout. I have friends in Vegas. I'd hope to boogie north and thru the north end of Death valley and into NV and into Vegas via Pahrump. If we can just get past the San Andreas and mojave quick enough, avoiding Palmdale/Lancaster too.

roadtriprouteOct2019-2.jpg

roadtriprouteOct2019-3.jpg

The ridgecrest quakes of July rattled things in SCV a little and were a good reminder. I've also been thinking about getting ans upgrading one of those Harbor Freight 4'x8' folding trailers. I figure I could unfold and fill one with stakebed sides and totes of gear in about 30mins. The totes are already ready, to be thrown in our vehicles. That inexpensive trailer could be rigged to extend range and capacity and is inexpensive enough to ditch if necessary without much concern. Once we start a bugout, I don't really want to stop until we're well clear of the disaster area / swarms of desperate people. L.A. will be a hellhole in a major disaster. I want to get as far away from it as I can.

This winter I intend to make that Death Valley route / traverse, and on into Vegas to visit my friend. Might even get him involved with some ham radio equipment and try some communication tests and a linkup somewhere around the CA/NV border, as a bugout exercise as much as anything else.

Last edited:

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I'm glad you California guys are talking about earthquake preparedness. That and wildfires will more than likely be the scenario you need to prep for. It sounds like you need to find some lesser known route around the San Andrea's fault, but it also sounds like if the shtf, you'll need a lot of luck to get out of L.A. in time.

Mike W.

Best bug out plan is not having to bug out..We live outside any major population area. Have a little land and can stay self-contained for 30-45 days. Our escape vehicles have 4 legs and we can go out the back gate to thousands of square miles of desert and mountain range.

Guns, ammo and the ability to both hunt and self protect. While your bugg'n I will be on the front porch chug'n

rayra

Expedition Leader
Ah yes, gotta keep the fear alive
Apparently you've never been thru a major disaster or been unprepared for one. Some of us have and suffered great monetary loss, dislocation and all the rest. Particularly on a forum of folks who are already halfway towards Preparedness by dint of camping gear and off-road vehicles and outdoor cooking, Solar power and all of that, it is no stretch at all to point out these considerations.
And certainly not the sort of sneering post you've made about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94