Bug out challenge

rayra

Expedition Leader
Well the most sensible 'Prepper' strategy is to prepare for the most likely things first. Job loss, health trouble, whatever your regional weather disasters are likely to be.
There's also what is often called 'function stacking'.
We live in a suburban 4bedr house, have / had a good bit of storage space. It makes sense to shop at costco and the like for the monetary savings of 'buy it cheap and stack it deep'. That also means we've got an s-load of foodstuffs, both canned and dry goods. We also 'buy what you eat' and be sure to eat the oldest stuff first.
We live in a desert, even if it's covered by a huge city. So we keep a lot of water on hand, as well as several means of obtaining more and making it potable.
Then there's all this off road and camping gear, as already mentioned.
Hell, in the last three years we've had three huge brushfires nearby that have rained ash on our property. The last one, the Tick fire, has finally prompted me to start gathering the ~$400 worth of material that will help me turn our pool pump into a 1.5" dia fire hose system. And power our pool pump from a generator.
From '99 to '11 we had a house in the Sierras adjacent to the Kern river. We used to do a lot of river rafting and camping up there. It was our 'vacation' house. But it was also a bugout destination. We bought the house cheap and after a bunch of renovation work that we did ourselves and house price inflation, we still made a good chunk of money off its sale even after the market collapsed in '08-'09. But that means we don't have anywhere relatively close to head to. And no relatives that aren't in worse locations.
I lost my house in Northridge, to that quake. As big as it was, it was in a comparatively small portion of greater L.A.

Billiebob, there's 20million people within 2hrs drive of me. A lot of criminals, a lot of drug users, a lot of violent gangs, a lot of illegals. A lot of corrupt and inept politicians who advocate unworkable policies and think saying a thing solves real problems. I cannot stay and I cannot help those locusts if a huge disaster happens. We're going to run, fast and hard. everybody thinks NOLA / Katrina was a humanitarian disaster. Wait until you see Los Angeles after a true mega-quake.

shade

Well the most sensible 'Prepper' strategy is to prepare for the most likely things first. Job loss, health trouble, whatever your regional weather disasters are likely to be.
There's also what is often called 'function stacking'.
We live in a suburban 4bedr house, have / had a good bit of storage space. It makes sense to shop at costco and the like for the monetary savings of 'buy it cheap and stack it deep'. That also means we've got an s-load of foodstuffs, both canned and dry goods. We also 'buy what you eat' and be sure to eat the oldest stuff first.
We live in a desert, even if it's covered by a huge city. So we keep a lot of water on hand, as well as several means of obtaining more and making it potable.
Then there's all this off road and camping gear, as already mentioned.
Hell, in the last three years we've had three huge brushfires nearby that have rained ash on our property. The last one, the Tick fire, has finally prompted me to start gathering the ~$400 worth of material that will help me turn our pool pump into a 1.5" dia fire hose system. And power our pool pump from a generator.
From '99 to '11 we had a house in the Sierras adjacent to the Kern river. We used to do a lot of river rafting and camping up there. It was our 'vacation' house. But it was also a bugout destination. We bought the house cheap and after a bunch of renovation work that we did ourselves and house price inflation, we still made a good chunk of money off its sale even after the market collapsed in '08-'09. But that means we don't have anywhere relatively close to head to. And no relatives that aren't in worse locations.
I lost my house in Northridge, to that quake. As big as it was, it was in a comparatively small portion of greater L.A.

Billiebob, there's 20million people within 2hrs drive of me. A lot of criminals, a lot of drug users, a lot of violent gangs, a lot of illegals. A lot of corrupt and inept politicians who advocate unworkable policies and think saying a thing solves real problems. I cannot stay and I cannot help those locusts if a huge disaster happens. We're going to run, fast and hard. everybody thinks NOLA / Katrina was a humanitarian disaster. Wait until you see Los Angeles after a true mega-quake.
Makes sense.

I don't think the earthquake would be impressed if you decided to stand fast and fight it. You can still return when it's appropriate.

Dirt Rider

Need to get this back on track, saw some silly and some good ideas, but I still don't see anything better than my rig. Something to think about is the fact that it can burn kerosene, veggie oil Etc. While gasoline is more plentiful it could get harder to find in a disaster. BTW will be doing my first shack down run on the Mojave Road 22-24th. I think everyone should do a shack down run before a big trip, (AK) just as you need to do dry runs for disaster prep.

Mike W.

The best answer to bugging out is not having to bug out..By not being in a city and having the ability to sustain and self protect is far more important to me than jumping in a vehicle and running..

85_Ranger4x4

The best answer to bugging out is not having to bug out..By not being in a city and having the ability to sustain and self protect is far more important to me than jumping in a vehicle and running..

The flipside to that is everybody else jumps in a vehicle and runs to you...

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I always find it interesting that folks think no one else will have a gun, or possibly consider shooting at them inside there compound...

shade

I always find it interesting that folks think no one else will have a gun, or possibly consider shooting at them inside there compound...
But I have a bigger gun, and lots of them, too.

And a tank. It's bigger than yours, too.

shade

Agreed. If someone wants to play the bug-in/out game, this is the way to go. I'm not interested in all of that, but I'd much rather live away from mobs of people than with them.

It would also be wise to have a small footprint, and be the gray man. As cool as having sniper towers, tank traps, and a moat might seem, the attention they attract could do more harm than any good they may offer. Driving around in a zombie response vehicle and all the other over the top crap that makes it onto so many prepper shows is also pretty dumb, IMO.

Mike W.

That's why a gun is never your first line of defense. Fencing, dogs and 900 yards of open pasture front my house..Along with other lines of personal protection. That last line of defense is getting into a shoot out..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior