Build your own Fuso FG6 4x4 based camper/overlander!

S2DM

Adventurer
Who did you use for the sponge laser cuts? I'm on the search for something similar for mine.

It has been a while since my last post but work has not stopped on the FG.

The latest is the addition of an exterior slide-out kitchen unit mounted to the chassis underneath the camper body.

I wanted a small gas grill on the outside, something we do not have in the interior kitchen. Although we usually BBQ on an open fire I thought it might be nice to be able to grill some sausages or similar during quick stop overs or when in sensitive outdoor areas.

I made the initial rough concept sketch and quite happy with the final product:

View attachment 442425View attachment 442426
View attachment 442427View attachment 442428

I also had some sponge cut-outs laser cut for the drawers:

View attachment 442429View attachment 442430

Just got to mount it to the truck now..... (to be continued).

Who did you use for the sponge laser cuts? I'm on the search for something similar for mine.

Hi,

the most official name I can give you for this sponge is SPX33 Sponge. Should be international.

As for the laser cutting, I am in South Africa, so cannot help there LOL

Best (y)

Jim Beam

Hi Family Friendly,

Following your work with keen interest.

I am also in Southern Africa and seems like we will be following in your footsteps. I have also come to the the conclusion that the only reasonable way forward cost wise is to get an "overlander" back and convert it to a camper. Seem to be a number of overlander style backs available most times.

I see some nice Mercedes 4x4 Atego's setup as campers online for sale, but with very nice prices to match. Do you think its cost competitive to buy an overlander body and have the body converted to a camper and mounted to a new truck? Or is it so close cost wise to whats already available that its not that big a saving?

Trying to be careful before I leap here.

I see some nice Mercedes 4x4 Atego's setup as campers online for sale, but with very nice prices to match. Do you think its cost competitive to buy an overlander body and have the body converted to a camper and mounted to a new truck? Or is it so close cost wise to whats already available that its not that big a saving?

Hi Jim Beam

I think there is merit in purchasing a pre-build body e.g. an overlander providing you get it at a bargain price (like I got with mine) so that it does not equal something you could have had purpose build with possible better results.

The other advantage, valid for South Africa at least, is that you could then probably ride on the current homoligation of that body and end up having something that would allow you to carry passengers. This is the biggest problem with flexi chassis motorhomes, most (no matter how spacious) do not legally allow for the carrying of passengers inside the body.

Should you source such a body I would get into contact with the company that sold it with the truck originally/and/or the original body builder to help with the homoligation paperwork.

When purchasing the body you will need to mount it on the same chassis so make sure that this chassis would be able to handle the weight of the conversion you intend on doing.

Personally I think a 4x4 Atego would make a great overlander.

Nice build. Your screen canopy looks great. May I ask the brand and if you’re happy with the product.

I can definately vouch for my awning, very happy with it. This one is a 3m Howling Moon awning with side walls http://www.howlingmoon.co.za/product-category/awnings/page/2/

Not sure however if it is a local company only, but they must have similar products over your way.

There is also Eezi-Awn over here http://www.eeziawn.com/eeziawn/awnings.html

Finally got around to putting a front bumper with some KC spotlights on the FG.

I made provision for a future winch behind the flip-up numberplate.

20180620_074447_resized.jpg

The top frame tilts forward of course to allow the cab to tilt.

20180613_180733_resized.jpg

I may end up re-doing the top frame as I feel it could do with slightly bigger tube and I prefer it to stand away more from the body.

I had a situation in Etosha Game Park, Namibia where a bunch of tourists parked in their 4x4's were watching a potential lion hunt around them and one guy had left the lights on his Landcruiser. So after about an hour they decided to leave but then ofcourse his battery was flat. So unable to get out from our vehicles (due to the surrounding hungry lionesses) to jump start him I ended up giving him a push with the FG from behind pushing with the bumper against his sparewheels mounted at the back of the Cruiser. It was an easy excersize and bailed them out with an applause from the surrounding motorists who were watching the commotion. But I was worried that the bars mounted so close to the body of the FG would flex and dent the front body panel.

It turned out okay, not even a scuff, but I think the bars should move out a bit.

Jim Beam

Hi Jim Beam

I think there is merit in purchasing a pre-build body e.g. an overlander providing you get it at a bargain price (like I got with mine) so that it does not equal something you could have had purpose build with possible better results.

The other advantage, valid for South Africa at least, is that you could then probably ride on the current homoligation of that body and end up having something that would allow you to carry passengers. This is the biggest problem with flexi chassis motorhomes, most (no matter how spacious) do not legally allow for the carrying of passengers inside the body.

Should you source such a body I would get into contact with the company that sold it with the truck originally/and/or the original body builder to help with the homoligation paperwork.

When purchasing the body you will need to mount it on the same chassis so make sure that this chassis would be able to handle the weight of the conversion you intend on doing.

Personally I think a 4x4 Atego would make a great overlander.

Hi FF 4x4,

Yes I have been giving it much thought and the need to carry my guys with me is a factor. I am thinking I need 4 guys with me when I go on trips. How to carry them?

I am currently thinking of a new Isuzu 4x4 NPS300 - there is the crew cab version but it only carries 3 crew in the back - i need 4 (ideally 5 but have to trim the budget a little on salaries each month, so will get by with 4)

Curious as to why you went with the Canter Vs the Isuzu. The Isuzu has a bigger engine with more torque.

The other thing I am giving much thought to is buying in a camper back from the USA and fitting that to the back of the Isuzu. Not sure yet, so may ways to skin this cat!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The other thing I am giving much thought to is buying in a camper back from the USA and fitting that to the back of the Isuzu.
I will keep this short, as I do not want to hijack this thread, but be mindful that US campers will likely have the camper entry door on the right-hand side, which would not be legal here.

Also... the Fuso crew cab (wide cab) has a 7 seat capacity, including driver. I am guessing that the Isuzu crew cab would be the same.

SkiFreak out of interest we do not get the FG Crew Cab version in South Africa. Single cab only. We do not even have the facelift model yet as our diesel is not clean enough. My model truck as per my photos above is the current model in SA.

Jim Beam

@SkiFreak,

I stand corrected. The South African model NPS 300 4x4 SWA Crew is indeed a 7 seater. So problem solved. I could carry up to 5 guys with me (+ the ball and chain) but most likely more comfortable to put 4 guys in the back with me and the ball and chain up front. Chassis length reads as 3301mm from back of cab to end of chassis

https://isuzutrucksjhb.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/NPS-300-4X4-SWA-CREW.pdf

What is the price of these in Aus ex GST? Would it be worthwhile to buy one in Aus and have the mods done and ship over to Africa?
The original gameviewer body that I bought for conversion was build for the Fuso and the homoligation for carrying passengers tied in with it.

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense then.

I want to pull a trailer with quads and a bike behind me so need the bigger engine, hence looking at the Isuzu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste