Building 1997 Toyota T100 4x4 into my adventure rig

Anota

Observer
Have those who come out swinging against the lift ever owned a vehicle with this lift?

Thought not.

Nice build. I still recommend the 5.29’s for 33’s or taller with the 5vze/auto combo.

Agreed. Still no issues here. And im setting a pace with the build and budget. Its my daily so I can only fit day or weekend long projects at the moment. Im between the 4.88s and 5.29s but knowing id like a bigger tire in the future im leaning 5.29s. I have a matching parts truck with everything so I can send off the front diff/3rd member to get setup and convert the rear axle to chevy 63" setup. planning to knock that out this spring as I really want to get rid of the lift blocks.

Just threw out the Youtube video. Dropped the ball on explaining how it all works with the conversion so ill do something short for next weekend to explain to those who don't have prior knowledge of manual hubs. Hope this helps anything thinking about the swap

bkg

Explorer
Most people on here know better than to buy a lift like that, because it's blatantly obvious that it's not doing anything useful and is likely less capable off road than it was before the lift. I'd wager it also has less articulation than before. "Super lift" makes parts for bro-dozers whose owner's like to climb a ladder to get into the driver's seat.

According to whom and by what definition?

Simply because you don't like it?

I've owned this kit and i've modified this kit. You'd be very hard pressed to get more travel out of the HiTrac w/o custom axles. Superlift did a good job of changing the bumpstop mounts to improve over factory, and with a simple 1/4" BJ spacer, you can gain a good amount of travel.

But "because I said so" seems to be the prevailing reasoning for those who a) have never owned a kit like this and b) don't have any actual technical reasons to support their opinion.

bkg

Explorer
Agreed. Still no issues here. And im setting a pace with the build and budget. Its my daily so I can only fit day or weekend long projects at the moment. Im between the 4.88s and 5.29s but knowing id like a bigger tire in the future im leaning 5.29s. I have a matching parts truck with everything so I can send off the front diff/3rd member to get setup and convert the rear axle to chevy 63" setup. planning to knock that out this spring as I really want to get rid of the lift blocks.

Just threw out the Youtube video. Dropped the ball on explaining how it all works with the conversion so ill do something short for next weekend to explain to those who don't have prior knowledge of manual hubs. Hope this helps anything thinking about the swap

old data/tech, but check out ErikB's t100 page on 4x4wire.com.

PacS14

Adventurer
Looking good! When I used to own a 96 T100 I loved everything about it, the one thing that dawned on me after selling it was that I should have tried fitting land cruiser solid axles (including all front suspension) as I think they would have been a perfect fit and easy locked solution...too bad never got a chance to. Still like those trucks!

Anota

Observer
Looking good! When I used to own a 96 T100 I loved everything about it, the one thing that dawned on me after selling it was that I should have tried fitting land cruiser solid axles (including all front suspension) as I think they would have been a perfect fit and easy locked solution...too bad never got a chance to. Still like those trucks!

Thats something im scratching my head about too. I was thinking either trying to swap a first gen tundra IFS or at least attempting a coilover conversion with first gen parts. Honestly an SAS seems more straight forward. Keep seeing lots of people hyping up the fj80 axles.

For an update I just did the front inner and outer wheel bearings, all from Yotashop.com and the truck rolls significantly better. The inners were completely toast. A job im really happy I did. Now im onto another fun project. I picked up this Discovery 1 Arb bumper for $150 in good condition and plan to mod the hell out of it to get it to fit. For that price I couldn't justify buying a new land cruiser bumper and still having to chop it out of the box. Its going to be a long project but worth it I think cost-wise.

IMG_4352 Medium.jpegIMG_4356 Medium.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4355 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4355 Medium.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 4

bkg

Explorer
Thats something im scratching my head about too. I was thinking either trying to swap a first gen tundra IFS or at least attempting a coilover conversion with first gen parts. Honestly an SAS seems more straight forward. Keep seeing lots of people hyping up the fj80 axles.

For an update I just did the front inner and outer wheel bearings, all from Yotashop.com and the truck rolls significantly better. The inners were completely toast. A job im really happy I did. Now im onto another fun project. I picked up this Discovery 1 Arb bumper for $150 in good condition and plan to mod the hell out of it to get it to fit. For that price I couldn't justify buying a new land cruiser bumper and still having to chop it out of the box. Its going to be a long project but worth it I think cost-wise.

IMHO, easier/faster/cheaper to go Dana44/50/60 up front. Frame rails are a great location for easy leaf sprung SAS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior