Building 1997 Toyota T100 4x4 into my adventure rig

Anota

Observer
Hey everyone...

Id like to introduce myself and my truck. Excited to share this project here and excited to tap into the resources and expertise of the community on this one!

img_4454-jpg.362633.jpeg

My T has no name (working on that). Just rolled over 186,000 on my recent trip up to Vermont. Ultimately, I'm going for a 'fully-built OEM look'. Trying to keep the classic aesthetic but make it very capable and functional for my endeavors.

So far what I've done :
  • Stripped the frame to bare metal. Etched the frame. Primed, painted, then undercoated.
  • Added a 5" Super Lift - slightly modded
  • New Rear Leafs + New Rear Shackles + all new bushings
  • DIY custom fabbed leaf spring bolt conversion project to GM greasable bolts
  • New Driveline + new Carrier Bearing
  • New Rear Pinion Seal
  • Rewired the rear end

Complete new OEM IFS
  • New Upper Control Arm
  • New Lower Control Arms
  • New Torsion Bars
  • New Torsion Bars Bolts + Assembly
  • New Spindles
  • New CV Axles
  • New Frame Crossmembers
  • All New Ball Joints
  • All New Steering components except steering box (swapping soon)

• All new front brakes + lines + calipers + pads (searching for dust shields)
  • Completely Custom one-off 2" Tig welded Stainless Steel Exhaust
    • Headers + Exhaust
  • Restored and Gel Coated high-top camper cap
img_3942-jpg.362635.jpegscreen-shot-2021-12-27-at-10-26-10-pm-png.362639.jpeg

Whats next....

• Rear Tire Carrier
  • Front Winch Bumper
  • Aluminum Cab-Over Rack for cap
  • Remount Tow Hitch
  • Interior
    • Carpet
    • New seals
    • Car play touch screen
    • Tan interior conversion from a parts truck
    • Onboard compressor
    • Cab bushings
    • Solar (?)
    • Rear Disc Brake conversion (?)
IMG_4910 6.12.05 PM.jpg
IMG_4911.jpgIMG_4913.jpg

Ideally one day id like to ditch the IFS as I've got everything for an SAS but just don't have the time for such a big project.

I've been documenting all my work in Youtube videos and starting to film some of the adventures as well. If anyones interested, let me know. As for now, I plan to keep on keeping on. Tires just went on this week, now onto bumpers!

Attachments

• img_4820-jpg.362634.jpeg
    img_4820-jpg.362634.jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 23

bkg

Explorer
That lift looks ridiculously unfunctional. Way more than you need.

maybe, maybe not.

I ran the SL kit on a 94 4Runner for years. Very well done and corrects a number of geometry flaws in the hi-track IFS. Plus, if you throw 1/4" balljoint spacers and adjust bumpstops accordingly, you can get a bunch more travel. BTDT - I survived the 90's. :D

Anota

Observer
bkg - Same, no issues here. Haven't come into any situations where the lift has been problematic. It is a solid kit for the money and gives me time to feel out a taller lift without breaking the bank. Super adjustable lift as well... Im planning an SAS way down the line but until then this is perfect

Reactions: bkg

Anota

Observer
I just dropped the manifold and exhaust build on YouTube for anyone interested!

Also picked up a donor truck (another '97 sr5) which Im going to pull the rear axle and front diff from to get 4.88s installed. Just picked up some Aisin locking hubs as well! super excited about that project.

hope you enjoy the video

bkg

Explorer
I just dropped the manifold and exhaust build on YouTube for anyone interested!

Also picked up a donor truck (another '97 sr5) which Im going to pull the rear axle and front diff from to get 4.88s installed. Just picked up some Aisin locking hubs as well! super excited about that project.

hope you enjoy the video

what size tires are you going after? May want to consider 5.29's if you're going to add weight and go with 33 or larger tire.

Anota

Observer
Finally got around to sorting my 4WD. When I was installing the new cross members from the kit I had to drop the front diff and I think I damaged the vacuum setup because 4wd never worked after I put everything back together.

Ive always wanted manual hubs anyway for numerous reasons and I finally got the project done yesterday. I grabbed a pair from Yotamasters and threw them on. Super simple install if anyone is interested im going to put out a video on the process. Ill drop a link here.

The part # is FHT-018 (27 spline) Aisin Manual Hubs

Not sure where I saw this but someone else cut their caps for a clean look and im going to run with it for a bit. 1st pic no center caps 2nd yes ... just for fun

btw 4wd works like a charm now! while I was in there I installed fresh CV's on both sides and pulled the wheel bearings to check them. Think ill be back in there swapping those in the next few months.

As for an overall update, im loving the lift, tires and exhaust. But these additions are exposing all of the bad bushings, bearings, u-joints, etc that are very old and things are deteriorating as fast as I can fix them so the end is not near yet. Im okay with that though. Its been fun wrenching on the truck

Something I didn't know I needed until the new tires went on is new gearing! I could use some help sourcing 4.88's for the front and rear. Im going to do a chevy 63" swap with ruff stuff gear this summer and that would be a perfect time to swap in a 3rd member. Anyone know anyone who swaps gears or has an extra 4runner 3rd member hanging around? This will help with a tire upgrade in the future too

Thanks!
*Posting over on Toyota Nation as well just if anyone see's this twice*
Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 2.57.23 PM.jpg_MG_5955-2.jpg_MG_5956.jpg

Anarchy Joe

Observer
Finally got around to sorting my 4WD. When I was installing the new cross members from the kit I had to drop the front diff and I think I damaged the vacuum setup because 4wd never worked after I put everything back together.

Ive always wanted manual hubs anyway for numerous reasons and I finally got the project done yesterday. I grabbed a pair from Yotamasters and threw them on. Super simple install if anyone is interested im going to put out a video on the process. Ill drop a link here.

The part # is FHT-018 (27 spline) Aisin Manual Hubs

Not sure where I saw this but someone else cut their caps for a clean look and im going to run with it for a bit. 1st pic no center caps 2nd yes ... just for fun

btw 4wd works like a charm now! while I was in there I installed fresh CV's on both sides and pulled the wheel bearings to check them. Think ill be back in there swapping those in the next few months.

As for an overall update, im loving the lift, tires and exhaust. But these additions are exposing all of the bad bushings, bearings, u-joints, etc that are very old and things are deteriorating as fast as I can fix them so the end is not near yet. Im okay with that though. Its been fun wrenching on the truck

Something I didn't know I needed until the new tires went on is new gearing! I could use some help sourcing 4.88's for the front and rear. Im going to do a chevy 63" swap with ruff stuff gear this summer and that would be a perfect time to swap in a 3rd member. Anyone know anyone who swaps gears or has an extra 4runner 3rd member hanging around? This will help with a tire upgrade in the future too

Thanks!
*Posting over on Toyota Nation as well just if anyone see's this twice*
View attachment 712692View attachment 712693View attachment 712694
super clean man..

Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
Agreed. The front IFS bar is the low point along with the rear pumpkin. The handling is not going to be too stable.

Have those who come out swinging against the lift ever owned a vehicle with this lift?

Thought not.

Nice build. I still recommend the 5.29’s for 33’s or taller with the 5vze/auto combo.

beef tits

Have those who come out swinging against the lift ever owned a vehicle with this lift?

Most people on here know better than to buy a lift like that, because it's blatantly obvious that it's not doing anything useful and is likely less capable off road than it was before the lift. I'd wager it also has less articulation than before. "Super lift" makes parts for bro-dozers whose owner's like to climb a ladder to get into the driver's seat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste